• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

I think she should have been able to save all 3 people that jumped off the building. Jimmy said even Superman couldnt have saved them all. I dont beleive that, I think he could have saved at least 20

And since when cant kryptonians survive in space ?

Crows - can you please keep spoilers in spoiler tags for the benefit of the folks? Thanks.

And when J’onn J’onzz fights Indigo (Brainiac)...

he tears her in half to be done with her finally.

lxXMqES.png

MgxDa9v.png

Watching it with my kids, I called what he was going to do when he grabbed her. They said "No way" and then watched as he did it. lol

The last two episodes of the season were just so bad that I'm dropping the series. The dialogue was just so melodramatically cringe-worthy it's not funny.

"I'm not...going to fight...my sister!" :facepalm: How many variants of that have they had recently? And could that broadcast speech by Supergirl to break the Myriad influence have been any sappier? And Supergirl and her sister having that long, languorous, loving sisterly dialogue as the seconds tick down to the amplified Myriad killing everyone on earth - uh, hello, really? And then she lifts the 100 million tons (!!) of Ft. Rozz, flies it into space, her sister zips off in SG's pod (??) and saves her and she wakes up like nothing happened, all in like 30 seconds. I mean, if you take off your fanboy/fangirl hats, this episode was objectively TERRIBLE.

Non is the perfect name for that villain - he's been a total non-factor this season. Zero charisma, zero menace, with a costume that looks worse than what a dedicated cosplayer could put together in a day. Laura Vandervoort as Indigo - well, I guess we now know the reason why she hasn't made it bigger as an actress: she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

More will-they, won't they with Jimmy Olsen - they just had to fit that in yet again in the finale, before resolving it.

zzz

I liked the earlier episodes and some of the others have been good (like the Flash episode), but the last two episodes of the season were just so, so, so, so, so bad that it just hammered home all of the weaknesses of the series for me. The series felt fresh early on, but has just become formulaic with the same few sub-plots getting recycled over and over and over and over and over and over and the dialogue getting more and more and more and more and more soapy/melodramatic/cringe-worthy of late. I've seen enough.

Well you've seen enough but some here have not because they are several episodes behind due to overseas scheduling, which sucks. Out of respect and kindness towards them we are using spoiler tags for doing things like giving away the season finale.

While I agree with you that, yes, there IS schmaltz and improbability, I like that...a lot. To me it is the personality of the show and I wouldn't have it any other way. There is a plethora of dark, angry, gritty on tv and the movies. We could use some light, love and schmaltz, if only for 40 odd minutes a week. The way they have setup Supergirl reminds me of reading the Superboy stories in the 50's and 60s. Silly, improbable and really fun. Those stories were my favorite as a kid and this Supergirl show brings that back to me.

And, like many comic book derived shows and films, it is often best to keep one's fanboy hat firmly in place. I mean, why would one want to take it off?

On an aside, it always surprises me because the dark, when it IS shown, can be pretty grisly:

witness J'onn ripping Indigo in half with his hands and Kara burning out Non's eyes in a heat vision battle

. So yes, they are schmaltzy and silly but they can also be pretty bad-butt.

I really enjoyed this first season. Never really liked James/Jimmy Olsen at all, but aside from him, it was all pretty good.

That being said, it was pretty clear in the final few weeks that this was a case where they'd simple written themselves into a corner for the end of season 1 and they weren't sure how they were going to resolve it. You could almost feel them saying "ehhh.. let's just rip this band aid off quick and end it" to wrap up certain plot lines (especially Myriad).

And while that certainly leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for Season 1, I think there's a lot of growth potential for Season 2, and I simply don't think they'd make this mistake again. This year they were just happy getting a pilot, a limited run and then a full run. If renewed, they'd be able to plot a full season from the start and I'd like to think with lessons learned it will far exceed Season 1, as many good shows do.

Well you've seen enough but some here have not because they are several episodes behind due to overseas scheduling, which sucks. Out of respect and kindness towards them we are using spoiler tags for doing things like giving away the season finale.

You mean there are people who actually read these TV threads when they're not caught up? :whatthe:

Mind. Blown.

mind_blown.gif

While I agree with you that, yes, there IS schmaltz and improbability, I like that...a lot. To me it is the personality of the show and I wouldn't have it any other way. There is a plethora of dark, angry, gritty on tv and the movies. We could use some light, love and schmaltz, if only for 40 odd minutes a week. The way they have setup Supergirl reminds me of reading the Superboy stories in the 50's and 60s. Silly, improbable and really fun. Those stories were my favorite as a kid and this Supergirl show brings that back to me.

What you call "silly, improbable and really fun" I think most people nowadays would call "unreadable". :baiting: I think there is room in the TV marketplace for "light, love and schmaltz". But, it's got to be well-written schmaltz - the more it resembles the DC stories of the 1950s and 1960s, the more it will only appeal to guys like you :preach: and turn off everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I think the series succeeded earlier on in the season. However, the last two episodes was the absolute worst TV I've seen in ages.

I agree with the comments about the recent dialog in this series.

It is so bad it is almost offensive.

I take that back, it is utterly offensive.

So, my parents are in town visiting, and I was watching the finale the other day when my mom walked into the living room just as some horrifically bad dialogue came on. I think it was at that moment that I decided to drop the series from my DVR rotation next season. I mean, it was just so cringe-worthy that I felt embarrassed to be watching it. Not good. :blush:

So, my parents are in town visiting, and I was watching the finale the other day when my mom walked into the living room just as some horrifically bad dialogue came on. I think it was at that moment that I decided to drop the series from my DVR rotation next season. I mean, it was just so cringe-worthy that I felt embarrassed to be watching it. Not good. :blush:

There probably was a far more revelant and witty way to win back the city, than saying "Hope" a dozen times on Supergirl All-Access. They had a Working Girl reference, you would have thought they might have did something in the line of office politics or something with Non & Indigo. I can't believe Max Lord's character would have went along with it as well. Really bad stuff.

I'll tune tune in next year,

not because I'm curious what's in the pod (which should have given us a glimpse.)

But, because I hope they got their act together. I mean they have a terrific lead that can morph from Annie Hall to Linda Hamilton believably during scenes. I think they need to trim the supporting cast a bit, jettison the forced romance, I don't mind the sister stuff, but stop giving Alex a chip (too distracting.) I think, this season ender didn't help season 2's chances. Really juvenile writing, I'd be surprised if anyone in the mainstream thought it was good. My 2c

You mean there are people who actually read these TV threads when they're not caught up? :whatthe:

Mind. Blown.

mind_blown.gif

Err, yeah. Why do you think there are so many spoiler tags being used here? We have been spoiler free here for for a long time

Err, yeah. Why do you think there are so many spoiler tags being used here? We have been spoiler free here for for a long time

Could you please put this discussion about spoiler tag use in spoiler tags? You're revealing spoilers.

And when J’onn J’onzz fights Indigo (Brainiac)...

he tears her in half to be done with her finally.

lxXMqES.png

MgxDa9v.png

Watching it with my kids, I called what he was going to do when he grabbed her. They said "No way" and then watched as he did it. lol

lol

I knew he was going to be forced into a drastic decision. I didn't see that coming.

:ohnoez:

When Supergirl and Non finally fought in the end...

I was surprised they went as far as to show she had burned out his eyes with her heat vision.

YdU1nEs.png

IVx9GGc.png

No tears for the dead?

What you call "silly, improbable and really fun" I think most people nowadays would call "unreadable". :baiting: I think there is room in the TV marketplace for "light, love and schmaltz". But, it's got to be well-written schmaltz - the more it resembles the DC stories of the 1950s and 1960s, the more it will only appeal to guys like you :preach: and turn off everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I think the series succeeded earlier on in the season. However, the last two episodes was the absolute worst TV I've seen in ages.

I think some people would call it unreadable. Others would just enjoy it: not just guys like me but gals like me, kids of both genders and folks of any age who are still in touch with the kid in them.

Could you please put this discussion about spoiler tag use in spoiler tags? You're revealing spoilers.

Sorry. I don't know what I was thinking.

:blush:

:foryou:

Though this be madness, yet there is method in it.

:whee:

Though this be madness, yet there is method in it.

:whee:

I do agree for

the madness is the method.

Don't get me wrong, I think the series succeeded earlier on in the season. However, the last two episodes was the absolute worst TV I've seen in ages.

I've seen worse TV, but the last episode was the worst of the season.

I have not read all the pages in this thread, so perhaps this has already been brought up, if not, then can someone tell me how Supergirl got her ears pierced?

That's too easy to explain. She was a teenager when she was on Krypton. She had them pierced there;)

I understand that many of you are expecting Academy Award level writing on these shows...and I do agree that the 30 second rescue attempt was on the dumb... :o side....

However, as a DC fan, and a long time DC reader...I can fantasize....I'm thrilled with the costumes, Indigo's reminded me a little too much of that blue Marvel girl, but Jonn Jonzz is better than I expected. I just suspend my sense of reality and enjoy watching.

BTW, the reason I stopped reading Spidey when I was a kid was that he was too whiney, talk about angst and drama....yikes!, shades of Anna Karenina;) ...DC was always just dumb fun Sci Fi;)

Intellectual it was not;)

I wish there was a way for them to bring in Comet;)

Hey Sha! Not only the pierced ears but we assume it is also when she got the scar on her nose.

I had to laugh when I read your reason for quitting Spidey. I wrote this in 2002, exactly one week after joining the boards:

Ultimately got tired of Peter Parker's 327th fit of angst and went back to Gold Age getting more and more intriqued.

Mind. Blown.

mind_blown.gif

:hi:

I could always start my own thread...

"SUPERGIRL official TV show thread (UK edition)... We're 8 weeks behind the rest of the world"

But I like it here... :cool:

No worries. I stopped myself reading your post as soon as I saw the word "bad". I find negative comments about Supergirl have their own inbuilt spoiler tag... ;)

:hi:

I could always start my own thread...

"SUPERGIRL official TV show thread (UK edition)... We're 8 weeks behind the rest of the world"

But I like it here... :cool:

No worries. I stopped myself reading your post as soon as I saw the word "bad". I find negative comments about Supergirl have their own inbuilt spoiler tag... ;)

You stay right where you are at!