• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 underrated (Value)?

286 posts in this topic

The sentence on White pages as an overall metric of the state of preservation of a book and it's freshness, cover color, gloss, etc. sums it up for me. I like White Pagers because I have found it is usually indicative of the overall state of preservation. Specifically, in the case of the X-Men 1, White pages should translate into a bright, White cover, something I feel is important on an X-Men 1. Eye appeal is more important to me than the technical integrity.

I have to say, books with White Pages do tend to have a better gloss “glow” and should deserve a premium. One should also factor in the overall structure “chips, registration, color”, like others have mentioned. I’ve graded many books and books with great PQ normally would deserve Off-white to White pages or White pages. Books with super White Pages will in almost every case be designated with WP. The advance collector/grader can tell most of the time if a book falls in the Cream to Off-white pages/Off white pages or Off-white to White pages/White Pages. If one has seen on hand raw books and have graded enough…there is definitely a better feel and look of a better PQ book. I can understand some desires to appreciate nice PQ books such as I and others. I see lots of mid-grade books with exceptional PQ are great deals and can be enjoyed raw. 2c

I dont insist n only white paged books. but the marketplace DOES favor them over lesser page quality, head to head and scarcity aside. If there are only 2 highest graded copies, one W and the OW, if you own the OW it's great. But owning the W is awesomer. Silly but makes sense.

However, do not expect the next person to be willing to pay the same "premium" that you did if you should ever decide to re-sell that book later. (thumbs u

Exactly, and don't expect the next person to be willing to pay the same "premium" for the number on the label either, each book is unique and only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time you wish to sell it.

There are a lot of landmines out there for newbies looking to re-enter the hobby and spend big bucks on books these days. The huge price increases of the last 10 years (and there's no doubt such appreciation is not sustainable at the current rate) have brought a big uptick in folks looking to game the system to make a buck, so it's buyer beware these days. :(

The sentence on White pages as an overall metric of the state of preservation of a book and it's freshness, cover color, gloss, etc. sums it up for me. I like White Pagers because I have found it is usually indicative of the overall state of preservation. Specifically, in the case of the X-Men 1, White pages should translate into a bright, White cover, something I feel is important on an X-Men 1. Eye appeal is more important to me than the technical integrity.

(thumbs u

It's no coincidence that Church copies look beautiful aesthetically, and have great page quality. :cloud9:

I mean it sure seems to play into account the CGC 9.0 Action Comic # 1 with white pages sold for a million dollars more than the other known CGC 9.0 that did not have white pages. That seems to be a +-33% difference on this book.

I would say that the lapse in time between sales, and the market moving on the book is the actual explanation for that. (thumbs u

-J.

I mean it sure seems to play into account the CGC 9.0 Action Comic # 1 with white pages sold for a million dollars more than the other known CGC 9.0 that did not have white pages. That seems to be a +-33% difference on this book.

I would say that the lapse in time between sales, and the market moving on the book is the actual explanation for that. (thumbs u

-J.

And many thought the first 9.0 lacked the visual appeal of the second. The pages were fantastic but in this case probably had little bearing on the end result

-J.

And many thought the first 9.0 lacked the visual appeal of the second. The pages were fantastic but in this case probably had little bearing on the end result

With Metropolis buying the book, you are probably correct, they wanted it no matter what the page quality. However, I believe the other 9.0 was CR/OW ? A White vs CR/OW is no contest.

Come on an action comics 1 is not an asm 129. Not that there is ever any consistent or real difference in price there either based on the "PQ" on the label alone. That action 1 would have sold for millions regardless and I believe that there is some murmuring that something was in fact done to that book to make the pages "white®".

-J.

Come on an action comics 1 is not an asm 129. Not that there is ever any consistent or real difference in price there either based on the "PQ" on the label alone. That action 1 would have sold for millions regardless and I believe that there is some murmuring that something was in fact done to that book to make the pages "white®".

-J.

I don't care what you say, you are a Virgo !

-J.

Murmuring by who? Anything substantiated, or is this just a tin-foil hat brigade thing?

-J.

Murmuring by who? Anything substantiated, or is this just a tin-foil hat brigade thing?

There's a dozens of pages long thread about the book in both the GA and CG forum. Nobody can prove anything obviously but the book in its prior iteration did not have "white pages" on the label, unless I'm mistaken.

This is not unprecedented either as there was also a wonder woman 1 that was auctioned off on c link several months ago as a 7.5 "ow/w" and suddenly became an 8.0 "w" in c link's subsequent feature auction.

-J.

Come on an action comics 1 is not an asm 129. Not that there is ever any consistent or real difference in price there either based on the "PQ" on the label alone.

Having sold the ASM 129 that I bought off the rack, a 9.6 with ow page quality, after having it on the market for months at more than one venue, I can tell you that the book realized less than if it had white pages. Same with my 9.6 Hulk 180. Meanwhile, my BA books with better page quality designations consistently sell faster and fetch more relative to GPA.

(shrug)

There are no real or consistent or significant differences realized in price based on "PQ" alone.

Again, ask the dealers. They know more than someone cherrypicking a handful of fixed-price sales off E-Bay.

-J.

There's a dozens of pages long thread about the book in both the GA and CG forum. Nobody can prove anything obviously but the book in its prior iteration did not have "white pages" on the label, unless I'm mistaken.

This is not unprecedented either as there was also a wonder woman 1 that was auctioned off on c link several months ago as a 7.5 "ow/w" and suddenly became an 8.0 "w" in c link's subsequent feature auction.

-J.

Incorrect on the 9.0 action 1. The book always had white pages , from first time graded through last (and there is proof).

The White-paged Action 1 looked nice and fresh, almost like a reprint - incredible color saturation and nice white whites on the cover. The CR/OW copy...not so much. Both obviously museum pieces, but one also obviously superior to the other due to it's better state of preservation. :cloud9:

My sense these days is that the page quality has some impact on SOME final prices, but that the biggest indicator among prices realized is the potential to press and/or upgrade the comic. An 8.5 with cr/ow pages that sets a GPA high is, to me, one someone thought he could get a 9.0 for on a resubmit.

Given how many CGC buyers hope to make a profit from their purchases, "upgradability" seems much more important than page quality on any given book.

Dan

-J.

-J.

Incorrect on the 9.0 action 1. The book always had white pages , from first time graded through last (and there is proof).

And it's a better looking copy than the other 9.0.