• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto Comic Book Show (TCBS) Great Winter Sale Feb 22 2015; Win an Iron Man #1

55 posts in this topic

There will be about 30 dealers in all. It really is the best little show in town.

I'll be there (Guardian Comics), Andy Greenham has set up in the past, Wes Hagen/Jimmy Linguini have too. Our own Kevin Boyd will be there. Manny who sets up at the HobbyStar shows will be there. Plus tons of just little guys who you will never see anywhere else, with good inventory. Last show there was a guy who had half a dozen ASM #361's priced at $20. I took the whole stack (didn't even bother haggling) and he says to me, oh those are 25% off. :cloud9:

It's worth checking out. Show has been sold out for vendors for weeks now.

Jim

Don't forget about the lucky draw. Some lucky person will walk home with this:

im.jpg

Every paid admission includes 1 entry in the draw, with the option buy additional tickets. In the past, some dealers have won but before you cry foul, keep in mind that we tend to buy multiple tickets. I myself usually buy 15 tickets... although I have yet to win anything (boo hoo for me) but my number's bound to come up eventually... Right? Right?

I enjoyed it.

Makes me look forward to the March Fan Expo show that much more.

Good books at good prices. And I've never seen the show THAT busy before. Wall to Wall people. I have watched this show grow and I really enjoy where its at right now.

I enjoyed it.

Good books at good prices. And I've never seen the show THAT busy before. Wall to Wall people. I have watched this show grow and I really enjoy where its at right now.

Made my day seeing you at the show.

I enjoyed it.

:acclaim:

I enjoyed it.

:sorry:

Sold every single last one of my dollar books. Came home 7 long boxes lighter.

Jim

I enjoyed it.

:sorry:

Sold every single last one of my dollar books. Came home 7 long boxes lighter.

Jim

Made my day seeing Kent at the show :baiting:

This show has really grown. I was at the inaugural one last May. For that show, I arrived 10 minutes early, paid my $5 admission, and sat on the hotel couch in the hallway with two other people until the promoter let us in. I had my doubts about the show at first. Turnout was kind of low and I thought Downsview was an iffy location for this kind of event. But each show has gotten better and better. Just hope it doesn't become "too successful" and result in an increase in table prices, admission, etc. Part of the appeal is the presence of smaller dealers with a few collectors jumping into the fray.

This was my third consecutive appearance at this show, and although I no longer collect comics, its great just meeting and chatting with dealers and collectors in attendance and its much more personable than transaction over ebay or an auction site to pick up books.

I think I enjoy this smaller, comics-only venue for several reasons, but mostly because of the nostalgic feel of a small, comics-only one day show (reminds me of the one-day shows Dragon Lady Comics used to promote downtown), far removed from the 3/4/5 day mega celebrity/anime/manga shows that tend to dominate the convention landscape today.

You want comics? No problem...this show has lots of them.

You want good pricing? No problem...this show has it.

You want dealers who actually deal? No problem...this show has it.

Cheap admission? Yep, its only $5 for adults, and free for kids

Free parking? Yep. (thumbs u

This was my first show here as well and I've gotta say, incredible bang for your buck. I got in just in time too, because I hear there is already a waiting list (as there should be).

Less than a hundred for a table where way more than a thousand people show? Can't beat it.

Figured I'd list a few sales to give you guys a taste of what was going on. All raw sales.

Iron Man 55 7.0 $525

ASM 607 9.4 $60

Avengers 57 4.0 $175

Avengers 59 4.0 $65

Avengers 54 4.0 (nice book but rust on staples) $70

Hulk 180 6.5 $225

Saga 2 9.6 30

multiple high grade Saga books $10-20 each

Lots of the regular show staples like SW 8, ASM 252, ASM 361, etc

Didn't sell a single slab and I brought 2 boxes from Copper to modern (sadly I don't have any bronze or earlier so that might have contributed to that).

Most requested books were definitely in this order;

Avengers 55

Daredevil 131

WWBN 32 (this one still boggles my mind, no movie hype but everyone wants it). Now I don't have any copies, but wouldn't FF 4 be a much smarter pick (Subby Vs Moonknight)? I mean a nice presentable VG- is about the same price as a VF+ WWBN nowadays. Neither one has a movie attached to them, I just don't get it, but what do I know?

And lastly, best part of the con was not a single person asked me for a first appearance of Copycat! Hallelujah!

Jay

Now that I am a bit more rested from all the travels. Con report:

Randy and I did a booth again but logistically Toronto doesn't work for him so I was out with a friend and his Aunt who is a great help for books.

To start the morning off the van didn't start up so the long boxes of books we planned to bring didn't make it, instead we grabbed just our keys and our cgc's and packed into an SUV and on we went. We got set up quickly but the dealer booths were much smaller than we were told initially. The only way in and out of our booth was to crawl under the table...

We sold a large number of books both CGC and raws. We know some of the dealers were buying our books and bringing to their booths, I don't mind I got my price I wanted :) Sales were very strong and as others mentioned packed + low costs + booth full of buyers = a great show for everyone. I don't think there was a great sample of all types of books from dell/gold key to golds/silvers up to moderns everything from $1 a book to several thousand.

I saw stacks of books leaving (the guy next to me had a ton of $1 books and he moved a ton of $1 books). Also saw some good high value books leaving the hall as well. A few trade opportunities, I saw some nicely signed TWD books from someone looking to get into some silver keys (is the end near????).

There were individuals of all ages. The one seller that was near by was selling posters...TBH don't think I noticed too many individuals that bought them, but I wasn't paying that close attention.

If my schedule allows it I will definitely be back, likely with more than one table!

Randy and I did a booth again but logistically Toronto doesn't work for him so I was out with a friend and his Aunt who is a great help for books.

To start the morning off the van didn't start up so the long boxes of books we planned to bring didn't make it, instead we grabbed just our keys and our cgc's and packed into an SUV and on we went. We got set up quickly but the dealer booths were much smaller than we were told initially. The only way in and out of our booth was to crawl under the table...

We sold a large number of books both CGC and raws. We know some of the dealers were buying our books and bringing to their booths, I don't mind I got my price I wanted :) Sales were very strong and as others mentioned packed + low costs + booth full of buyers = a great show for everyone. I don't think there was a great sample of all types of books from dell/gold key to golds/silvers up to moderns everything from $1 a book to several thousand.

I saw stacks of books leaving (the guy next to me had a ton of $1 books and he moved a ton of $1 books). Also saw some good high value books leaving the hall as well. A few trade opportunities, I saw some nicely signed TWD books from someone looking to get into some silver keys (is the end near????).

There were individuals of all ages. The one seller that was near by was selling posters...TBH don't think I noticed too many individuals that bought them, but I wasn't paying that close attention.

If my schedule allows it I will definitely be back, likely with more than one table!

Well now I know who you are...cuz I must have been the table beside you.

I sold close to 1500 dollar books yesterday. All 7 long boxes gone. One dealer took about 900 alone.

My show stock sold briskly as well. I know I heard that one dealer did more yesterday than he does at Fan Expo over the course of 4 days.

My favourite customer was a guy who wanted my Avengers #55. It was priced at $400, he asked me on four separate occasions if I would take $200 for it. Finally a customer at my booth spoke up and said "it's the hottest book on the planet, I doubt he's gonna knock 50% off of the price"

I've set up at every one of these since the start (save one) and they just keep getting better and better. Kudos to Rob for growing and promoting this show the way he does.

Jim

I sold close to 1500 dollar books yesterday. All 7 long boxes gone. One dealer took about 900 alone.

My show stock sold briskly as well. I know I heard that one dealer did more yesterday than he does at Fan Expo over the course of 4 days.

My favourite customer was a guy who wanted my Avengers #55. It was priced at $400, he asked me on four separate occasions if I would take $200 for it. Finally a customer at my booth spoke up and said "it's the hottest book on the planet, I doubt he's gonna knock 50% off of the price"

I've set up at every one of these since the start (save one) and they just keep getting better and better. Kudos to Rob for growing and promoting this show the way he does.

Jim

Where were you in the room? Thanks for saying :hi::sumo: We were 2 down from Jay and had "Mike" right next to us. Mike sold only sets and $1 books he didn't have anything else. On my left I didn't have a chance to talk to them as I was on the other side stuck between the table and our display rack. They had a small dealer wall (wire racking) and what looked to be several long boxes. Was this you?

I didn't have time to dig at all as I was swamped, tired and above all else LAZY!

We didn't have any offers like that. I know we got some OMG are you seriously asking that price for a CGC 9.8 (which if you don't collect cgc 9.8's a Wolverine 1 might seem way over priced compared to a raw copy).

Jim

Where were you in the room? Thanks for saying :hi::sumo: We were 2 down from Jay and had "Mike" right next to us. Mike sold only sets and $1 books he didn't have anything else. On my left I didn't have a chance to talk to them as I was on the other side stuck between the table and our display rack. They had a small dealer wall (wire racking) and what looked to be several long boxes. Was this you?

I didn't have time to dig at all as I was swamped, tired and above all else LAZY!

We didn't have any offers like that. I know we got some OMG are you seriously asking that price for a CGC 9.8 (which if you don't collect cgc 9.8's a Wolverine 1 might seem way over priced compared to a raw copy).

Its true, you're not vocal enough about who you are Iceman!

You guys were right next to each other!