• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto Comic Book Show (TCBS) Great Winter Sale Feb 22 2015; Win an Iron Man #1

55 posts in this topic

Now that I am a bit more rested from all the travels. Con report:

Randy and I did a booth again but logistically Toronto doesn't work for him so I was out with a friend and his Aunt who is a great help for books.

To start the morning off the van didn't start up so the long boxes of books we planned to bring didn't make it, instead we grabbed just our keys and our cgc's and packed into an SUV and on we went. We got set up quickly but the dealer booths were much smaller than we were told initially. The only way in and out of our booth was to crawl under the table...

We sold a large number of books both CGC and raws. We know some of the dealers were buying our books and bringing to their booths, I don't mind I got my price I wanted :) Sales were very strong and as others mentioned packed + low costs + booth full of buyers = a great show for everyone. I don't think there was a great sample of all types of books from dell/gold key to golds/silvers up to moderns everything from $1 a book to several thousand.

I saw stacks of books leaving (the guy next to me had a ton of $1 books and he moved a ton of $1 books). Also saw some good high value books leaving the hall as well. A few trade opportunities, I saw some nicely signed TWD books from someone looking to get into some silver keys (is the end near????).

There were individuals of all ages. The one seller that was near by was selling posters...TBH don't think I noticed too many individuals that bought them, but I wasn't paying that close attention.

If my schedule allows it I will definitely be back, likely with more than one table!

Well now I know who you are...cuz I must have been the table beside you.

I sold close to 1500 dollar books yesterday. All 7 long boxes gone. One dealer took about 900 alone.

My show stock sold briskly as well. I know I heard that one dealer did more yesterday than he does at Fan Expo over the course of 4 days.

My favourite customer was a guy who wanted my Avengers #55. It was priced at $400, he asked me on four separate occasions if I would take $200 for it. Finally a customer at my booth spoke up and said "it's the hottest book on the planet, I doubt he's gonna knock 50% off of the price"

I've set up at every one of these since the start (save one) and they just keep getting better and better. Kudos to Rob for growing and promoting this show the way he does.

Jim

Where were you in the room? Thanks for saying :hi::sumo: We were 2 down from Jay and had "Mike" right next to us. Mike sold only sets and $1 books he didn't have anything else. On my left I didn't have a chance to talk to them as I was on the other side stuck between the table and our display rack. They had a small dealer wall (wire racking) and what looked to be several long boxes. Was this you?

I didn't have time to dig at all as I was swamped, tired and above all else LAZY!

We didn't have any offers like that. I know we got some OMG are you seriously asking that price for a CGC 9.8 (which if you don't collect cgc 9.8's a Wolverine 1 might seem way over priced compared to a raw copy).

I didn't know it was you...but yes that was me. :foryou:

Jim

Randy and I did a booth again but logistically Toronto doesn't work for him so I was out with a friend and his Aunt who is a great help for books.

To start the morning off the van didn't start up so the long boxes of books we planned to bring didn't make it, instead we grabbed just our keys and our cgc's and packed into an SUV and on we went. We got set up quickly but the dealer booths were much smaller than we were told initially. The only way in and out of our booth was to crawl under the table...

We sold a large number of books both CGC and raws. We know some of the dealers were buying our books and bringing to their booths, I don't mind I got my price I wanted :) Sales were very strong and as others mentioned packed + low costs + booth full of buyers = a great show for everyone. I don't think there was a great sample of all types of books from dell/gold key to golds/silvers up to moderns everything from $1 a book to several thousand.

I saw stacks of books leaving (the guy next to me had a ton of $1 books and he moved a ton of $1 books). Also saw some good high value books leaving the hall as well. A few trade opportunities, I saw some nicely signed TWD books from someone looking to get into some silver keys (is the end near????).

There were individuals of all ages. The one seller that was near by was selling posters...TBH don't think I noticed too many individuals that bought them, but I wasn't paying that close attention.

If my schedule allows it I will definitely be back, likely with more than one table!

I sold close to 1500 dollar books yesterday. All 7 long boxes gone. One dealer took about 900 alone.

My show stock sold briskly as well. I know I heard that one dealer did more yesterday than he does at Fan Expo over the course of 4 days.

My favourite customer was a guy who wanted my Avengers #55. It was priced at $400, he asked me on four separate occasions if I would take $200 for it. Finally a customer at my booth spoke up and said "it's the hottest book on the planet, I doubt he's gonna knock 50% off of the price"

I've set up at every one of these since the start (save one) and they just keep getting better and better. Kudos to Rob for growing and promoting this show the way he does.

Jim

I can't believe that I didn't go to your booth first. doh! Especially how well I did the last show with your $1 books.

Jim

I can't believe that I didn't go to your booth first. doh! Especially how well I did the last show with your $1 books.

Well I see the next show is the week before C2E2, and not the same weekend, so I'll be able to do this show. :acclaim:

And I am going to look at a 50,000 book collection this week, so you just never know what I might have :baiting:

Jim

Great show. I only sold 20-25 books but that was enough to double my income target going in. I'm going to have to raise the bar.

Jim, I regret I didn't get a chance to see your books. I was a busy day... only managed to squeeze 2 quick washroom breaks and no lunch.

I did better at Sunday's show than I did at the Toronto ComiCon 3 day show (after the set up fees) last year. I'll be set up again at Toronto ComiCon in March so it will be interesting to see how this year pans out.

Thank you once again Rob for putting on another great one day show.

I split a pair of tables with All New Comics, and he had a new collection available I helped him grade and price that did really well. Lots of great high grade Marvel and DC from the 80s and 90s.

I did a cross section of items. Novelties and comics, and without a doubt comics continue to be the better sellers (the reverse is true at Toronto ComiCON/Fan Expo Canada and the many other toy shows I go and set up at - comics rarely move there and the novelty items reign) so I know that Rob is successfully attracting comic book collectors, but as everyone reported, the people leaving with stacks of comics were the real evidence.

Big sellers at my table were from the big stack of Treasury editions I brought in. Moved a Superman vs. Spider-Man (estimated grade of 9.2) for $75, the rest went for anywhere from $1-10 each. Star Wars and Darth Vader variants did well, as well as Image books of recent vintage (Walking Dead, Saga, Wytches and so on). Moved a few silver age books, mostly Spideys. Sold a few Dancing Groot and Baymax Pop Vinyls to families.

Anyone who was at this show know the dealer(s) that set up at on the right side of the main doors, against the wall, about three tables down from the entrance? He (they) had slabs on a rack with a mix of books on the table at 33% off. Is anyone from that group on these boards? Please PM me with any info if you have it. Thanks, the grumbleman.

Anyone get Rossed? Kidding aside,wish I was there.So many of you folks I'd love.to meet.Anyone ever planing on coming down to Ottawa?

Its called getting Barry Allaned, or "Flashed".

He wasn't there, was he? :wishluck:

Anyone get Rossed? Kidding aside,wish I was there.So many of you folks I'd love.to meet.Anyone ever planing on coming down to Ottawa?

Its called getting Barry Allaned, or "Flashed".

He wasn't there, was he? :wishluck:

He wasn't there. He has however set up at the recent Leaside one-day shows in Toronto.

Gerry Ross... :cloud9:

honkifyouloveme_zpstpormr5s.jpg

Right out loud guffaw on that one....

Jimmy,sorry you've been flashed...are you okay? ;)