• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

Went into a shop this morning I've never been to. The gentleman was still pulling books out from the Diamond shipment and I am the only one in the shop.

Awesome right? First dibs at a few SG variants!

Not so much, he ordered 24 copies. :tonofbricks:

Can't wait for the Phantoms though!

Stopped at Hastings on the way home after work and picked up 4 copies of their Spider-Gwen connecting cover variant. They had 5 or 6 left, they also had plenty of the Young and Blank variants. I also stopped at my LCS. They had the regular cover and blanks I had pre-ordered. They still had a lot of the regular cover on the shelf and I passed on the Anka at $25 (they had two copies and one had sold). No Hughes.

so with the print run there's about 8.5k 1:25 variants in the wild.

That isn't even close to correct. That print is including the x retailer variants at 3000/1500 (plus whatever Midtown orders on those variants/10k/5k?) per store. Subtract those out and you have a general idea of the 1:25/1:100 variants. Furthermore, if a shop orders 74 copies, then they get 2 Ankas and 0 Hughes. The print run might be 100k in real orders, but only 500 or so Hughes and 3000 Ankas because of the way each shop orders. It isn't like Marvel just prints that amount because of the print run. I think people forget that a lot.

This is incorrect.

The variants' print run is indeed based on the print run of the main book. So 2000 for the Hughes is not out of the ballpark, as for every smaller mom and pop shop that didn't order enough to get even one, there are just as many big guys that order 200++ copies or more to get multiple variant copies. A book with a 200,000++ print run will have waaaaaaay more than 500 copies of a 1:100 variant out there, come on. There are what, 100+ on ebay alone right now? doh!

And at the end of the day, the print run of the variant is only part of what affects value. Scarcity on the market is the other. (thumbs u

-J.

All variants will crash..the true king is the Hughes variant, is rarer, plus is adam hughes...nuff said. If harley quinn 1, wish is a 1 in 25 variant can sell for over 100 in raw form, i have no trouble believing the Hughes SG variant will at least still be a $300 a year from now.....Ill go as far and say we got another MaryJane/venom type of variant here....that one was a 1 in 50 correct?

EDIT!

Just took a loom at ebay, theres A LOT of the hughes listed, wow!

Oh well, i wasnt looking to flip my copy.

VenoMJ was a 1:50, on an under-ordered 50,000 print run book. The few variants that do stick are the ones nobody saw coming.

Not so much the case here.

-J.

while i see that the Hughes variant is selling the most due to it being a limited printed cover. i don't see this going up that much in the near future.... the harley quinn hughes variant actually looks bad , the S-G one looks cool but not $300 dollars cool. i feel quite a few of the other variants look a hell of alot better.

The Phantom one looks bad , the mexican one looks great. i mean there are just too many nice options out there.

I lean on the higher side.

I think this character is here to stay, and will survive this new Secret Wars.

I still don't know if it will end with her back in the 616 (or the main universe, whatever it is called), or stay put in her universe only, once that even is through.

All variants will crash..the true king is the Hughes variant, is rarer, plus is adam hughes...nuff said. If harley quinn 1, wish is a 1 in 25 variant can sell for over 100 in raw form, i have no trouble believing the Hughes SG variant will at least still be a $300 a year from now.....Ill go as far and say we got another MaryJane/venom type of variant here....that one was a 1 in 50 correct?

EDIT!

Just took a loom at ebay, theres A LOT of the hughes listed, wow!

Oh well, i wasnt looking to flip my copy.

VenoMJ was a 1:50, on an under-ordered 50,000 print run book. The few variants that do stick are the ones nobody saw coming.

Not so much the case here.

-J.

#real talk

WW 40 for example, 1 in 100 was selling for over $375 a few days ago, one even broke the $400 barrier.

while i see that the Hughes variant is selling the most due to it being a limited printed cover. i don't see this going up that much in the near future.... the harley quinn hughes variant actually looks bad , the S-G one looks cool but not $300 dollars cool. i feel quite a few of the other variants look a hell of alot better.

The Phantom one looks bad , the mexican one looks great. i mean there are just too many nice options out there.

But don't people flock to the most expensive one?

It seems to me they do, anyways.

But don't people flock to the most expensive one?

It seems to me they do, anyways.

Personally I love the hughes cover, is my favorite of all the variants.

Rarity will help this one stay in demand down the road.

I think many people thought that about the 1:300 ASM and that's Spidey himself. It's a tough call, For it to climb it would have to push EOSV Land even higher being the first appearance and the only variant. Is that even possible so soon, I mean that book has been on fire and they don't even have dust on them yet.

Personally I love the hughes cover, is my favorite of all the variants.

Rarity will help this one stay in demand down the road.

It isn't rare. This book didn't sneak up on anyone. And a significant number of people who pre-ordered the Hughes incentive did so with no intention of ever keeping it.

If you are looking for an undervalued Hughes variant go find a copy of Teen Titans 75 with Starfire on the cover.

The eosv land variant doesn't even look that great IMO. Her face is kinda bleh but i see its going for like 500++ cgc 9.8 and wasn't this variant 1:25 too??? So I'm surprised not many people like the s-g 1:100 Adam Hughes variant. But I guess at the end. It depends on the personal preference of the buyer right? I'm not a big land artist fan, and I see there's people who love land and don't care much for Hughes.

So anyways i decided to check for any updates from thirdeyecomics about the phantom variants i ordered.... the person operating their ebay account started messaging me back speaking to me in a condescending manner. needless to say i wasn't to happy about that.

after about 3 messages still no info whether or not these guys shipped out my items yet.. even though their ebay listing says will be shipped out the 25th of Febuary. seems like complete incompetence on their part and im not to happy as of now...

So anyways i decided to check for any updates from thirdeyecomics about the phantom variants i ordered.... the person operating their ebay account started messaging me back speaking to me in a condescending manner. needless to say i wasn't to happy about that.

after about 3 messages still no info whether or not these guys shipped out my items yet.. even though their ebay listing says will be shipped out the 25th of Febuary. seems like complete incompetence on their part and im not to happy as of now...

Weird...they printed my label weeks ago and according to the tracking info, it got to USPS the night of the 24th. Only ordered 1 copy but it should be here by friday.

Man, I still love the Phantom variant...

So cool....

Yep, I think that will be the book. I know Hughes has a huge following but the Phantom cover looks way better to me. How many copies of the Phantoms were printed ?

I agree also.

Phantom is the one. It pops.

S-G on the Hughes... just something not right about it - like her skirt is a big gray PVC pipe with legs coming out or something.

I dunno, just something not right IMO.

What exactly is she sitting on anyway? Invisible bench?

I like the S-G peaking around the side but other than that, it just doesn't pop like the Phantom cover does.

2c

My LCS had one Hughes and one Anka left by the time I got there at lunch. The really odd thing was there was not a single Young variant to be found anywhere. Big stacks of the regular cover, but no Youngs at either of their two stores.

Anybody know what the print run on the Youngs were?

Just finished reading and it's good enough for me to buy the next story. It does read like a What if at the beginning because...well, yeah, it is. Let's see what they can do to flesh out the rest of the universe which will take some time.