• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

The phantom one.... I can't see it making a lot of value. There's been cover swipes / homage covers before for a lot of other comics and most of them haven't made a big hit. There's been the Lego homages and deadpool homages last year.

Plus the asm 300 cover homage has been done quite a lot. Like in agent venom, that doc oc one, and even spawn.... None have been really big hits. But I do like it, its a nice fan service appeal . but I wouldn't buy like several copies of it, if I were the type to sell/buy

Edited by Technomancer

so with the print run there's about 8.5k 1:25 variants in the wild.

That isn't even close to correct. That print is including the x retailer variants at 3000/1500 (plus whatever Midtown orders on those variants/10k/5k?) per store. Subtract those out and you have a general idea of the 1:25/1:100 variants. Furthermore, if a shop orders 74 copies, then they get 2 Ankas and 0 Hughes. The print run might be 100k in real orders, but only 500 or so Hughes and 3000 Ankas because of the way each shop orders. It isn't like Marvel just prints that amount because of the print run. I think people forget that a lot.

This is incorrect.

The variants' print run is indeed based on the print run of the main book. So 2000 for the Hughes is not out of the ballpark, as for every smaller mom and pop shop that didn't order enough to get even one, there are just as many big guys that order 200++ copies or more to get multiple variant copies. A book with a 200,000++ print run will have waaaaaaay more than 500 copies of a 1:100 variant out there, come on. There are what, 100+ on ebay alone right now? doh!

And at the end of the day, the print run of the variant is only part of what affects value. Scarcity on the market is the other. (thumbs u

-J.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. Let me break it down for you:

The stated print run was 200k copies or whatever. This figure INCLUDES the shop variants. Do you think Marvel sold 1million copies of Star Wars #1? That included the 100+ variants. That is where these numbers come from these days and that is part of the reason Marvel does them. They love to get the printing numbers higher and they also love to make money. Anyways, I think we had about 20 different retail variants that you have to subtract from that 200k number to get to the actual print run. Then you have to kind of guess what the shops would order. I know I have about 11 LCS/Diamond accounts within 30 miles of my house and I know of one store that would be getting a Hughes variant. I also don't think it is very out of the question that 100 out of 500 or whatever the print run may be of the Hughes Variant are up on Ebay the very day it is released. I am not sure why you think this isn't possible? For the record I am not saying the print run is 500..I was just showing examples. I would imagine the actual run on this variant is between 700-1300, but probably on the lower side of that figure and definitely not near 2000.

The phantom one.... I can't see it making a lot of value. There's been cover swipes / homage covers before for a lot of other comics and most of them haven't made a big hit. There's been the Lego homages and deadpool homages last year.

Plus the asm 300 cover homage has been done quite a lot. Like in agent venom, that doc oc one, and even spawn.... None have been really big hits. But I do like it, its a nice fan service appeal . but I wouldn't buy like several copies of it, if I were the type to sell/buy

+1

Wytches 1 phantom anyone?

Just as a side note to the discussion about print runs and the variant Ah! Cover...

Blanks do not count towards incentives

Store variants do not count towards incentives, so 3000 print run does not bring the shop owner 30 Ah! 1:100 variants

Food for thought...

Also, someone was concerned about their Third Eye variants shipping. Remember these books came out this week. Odds are they were with Third Eye on Tuesday (weather has had an impact). Steve is one of the best in the business, so be patient everyone when it comes to shipping. Books are coming :)

To be fair, it's not mint. You can't expect someone to pay good money for a damaged modern comic. I've seen people buy damaged silver & bronze age keys but not moderns. Of course, that can change over time.

To be fair, it's not mint. You can't expect someone to pay good money for a damaged modern comic. I've seen people buy damaged silver & bronze age keys but not moderns. Of course, that can change over time.

Also, was that a BIN? If so, that dont count lol.

There's a few hughes out there...

10998662_10152575159831150_393272656210414012_o.jpg

Great Goggly Moggly!!

Thats Hoknes, I believe. Hes been selling then on the bay for 350 a pop.

Raw?

If they're selling at that price, then THAT'S a nice haul!

(thumbs u

Personally I love the hughes cover, is my favorite of all the variants.

Rarity will help this one stay in demand down the road.

It isn't rare. This book didn't sneak up on anyone. And a significant number of people who pre-ordered the Hughes incentive did so with no intention of ever keeping it.

If you are looking for an undervalued Hughes variant go find a copy of Teen Titans 75 with Starfire on the cover.

Or some of his Zatanna variants. Or Tomb Raider. I could go on...!

The phantom one.... I can't see it making a lot of value

Me can see ....The Phantom one making a forty dollar value.

Edited by LarrysComics

Personally I love the hughes cover, is my favorite of all the variants.

Rarity will help this one stay in demand down the road.

It isn't rare. This book didn't sneak up on anyone. And a significant number of people who pre-ordered the Hughes incentive did so with no intention of ever keeping it.

If you are looking for an undervalued Hughes variant go find a copy of Teen Titans 75 with Starfire on the cover.

Or some of his Zatanna variants. Or Tomb Raider. I could go on...!

Sirens #1 Hughes variant, NYCC, print run of 500, I believe...

Just as a side note to the discussion about print runs and the variant Ah! Cover...

Blanks do not count towards incentives

Store variants do not count towards incentives, so 3000 print run does not bring the shop owner 30 Ah! 1:100 variants

Food for thought...

I'm STILL shipping Phantom orders.

Third Eye is as well.

The book has been live twenty four hours.

It would be great if comic shops had time displacement & transporter technology though...