• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

From ICV2:

MARVEL CONFIRMS 'STAR WARS' #1 ORDERS

Over One Million

December 12 2014 @ 2:50 am CT

Marvel SVP Sales and Marketing David Gabriel confirmed to Comicbook.com that initial orders on Star Wars #1, due out in January, have topped one million copies. Strong orders from comic shops and a large number of exclusive covers, sold through outlets new to comics, drove the numbers, according to Gabriel.

But the very heavy variant plan and the exclusive covers are not the only thing driving the numbers, the core demand is also very strong, Gabriel said. “I can safely say that even without the massive variant plan on this first issue, the numbers on the regular cover alone would make this the highest selling debut of 2015,” Gabriel told the site.

From comichron:

As expected, Marvel's relaunch issue Star Wars #1 had sales that, when UK and February reorders are included, will put it over 1 million copies sold; Diamond shipped closed to 986,000 copies to North American retailers in the month of January. The lion's share of those orders were placed by comics ships, although one of the dozens of variant covers was for the repackager Loot Crate, whose orders would have been somewhere over 200,000 copies based on what we've seen in the past. Regardless, it's reasonably safe to assume the issue would have taken the century bestseller record based on comic-shop sales alone.

Comichron article about WD132 Lootcrate and RR1 Lootcrate

I appreciate the link, but I don't think this says what you think it does.

-J.

There is no way the regular Spider-Gwen, by itself, had a print run of 200K.

The 200K number is the total number of ALL #1 printings (regular, Young, 1:25, 1:100, store variants).

If I am incorrect on this, I apologize, but that is how it has always been explained to me, and to think there are 200K of the regular #1 out there seems preposterous.

Yes, you are 100% correct.

The 200K number is the total number of ALL #1 printings (regular, Young, 1:25, 1:100, store variants).

If I am incorrect on this, I apologize, but that is how it has always been explained to me, and to think there are 200K of the regular #1 out there seems preposterous.

Indeed it did. Diamond does not disclose the print runs of variants. There will be plenty of Hughes copies to be seen on the market for a very long time to come.

-J.

From ICV2:

Over One Million

Marvel SVP Sales and Marketing David Gabriel confirmed to Comicbook.com that initial orders on Star Wars #1, due out in January, have topped one million copies. Strong orders from comic shops and a large number of exclusive covers, sold through outlets new to comics, drove the numbers, according to Gabriel.

But the very heavy variant plan and the exclusive covers are not the only thing driving the numbers, the core demand is also very strong, Gabriel said. “I can safely say that even without the massive variant plan on this first issue, the numbers on the regular cover alone would make this the highest selling debut of 2015,” Gabriel told the site.

From comichron:

As expected, Marvel's relaunch issue Star Wars #1 had sales that, when UK and February reorders are included, will put it over 1 million copies sold; Diamond shipped closed to 986,000 copies to North American retailers in the month of January. The lion's share of those orders were placed by comics ships, although one of the dozens of variant covers was for the repackager Loot Crate, whose orders would have been somewhere over 200,000 copies based on what we've seen in the past. Regardless, it's reasonably safe to assume the issue would have taken the century bestseller record based on comic-shop sales alone.

-J.

I don't know what else to tell you. You seem incapable or unwilling to comprehend.

Comichron does not include variants

Yes. It does.

Everything sold to US retailers via Diamond counts towards that final number.

That final number is NOT the print run.

Why?

Diamond UK numbers are not included.

Publisher comps numbers are not included.

Standard 3% overprint to cover loss/short/damages numbers are not included.

Newstand numbers are not included.

Ok?

From ICV2:

Over One Million

From comichron:

-J.

I don't know what else to tell you. You seem incapable or unwilling to comprehend.

Again, I understand just fine.

Recalledcomics.com is a great source that explains how variants work and how to calculate (guesstimate) their availability based on print runs of the regular covers. (thumbs u

-J.

Indeed it did. Diamond does not disclose the print runs of variants. There will be plenty of Hughes copies to be seen on the market for a very long time to come.

-J.

Diamond does not disclose the print runs of variants.

No they do not.

However they are included in the final number of copies sold for any particular title.

Yes. It does.

Why?

Ok?

I guess we are just going to agree to disagree with this guy (jaydog). He refuses/ignores facts, articles from Comichron that explain it very clearly, statements from larger retailers and people in the know. We are all insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and Jaydog is the only one that can figure this out.

Edited by carcrawfordfan

So anyways i decided to check for any updates from thirdeyecomics about the phantom variants i ordered.... the person operating their ebay account started messaging me back speaking to me in a condescending manner. needless to say i wasn't to happy about that.

after about 3 messages still no info whether or not these guys shipped out my items yet.. even though their ebay listing says will be shipped out the 25th of Febuary. seems like complete incompetence on their part and im not to happy as of now...

Weird...they printed my label weeks ago and according to the tracking info, it got to USPS the night of the 24th. Only ordered 1 copy but it should be here by friday.

yea mine were printed a long while ago... yet i never got any type of updated shipping info as of yesterday whether or not they actually shipped them out.

Yes. It does.

Why?

Ok?

I guess we are just going to agree to disagree with this guy. He refuses/ignores facts, articles from Comichron that explain it very clearly, statements from larger retailers and people in the know. We are all insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and Jaydog is the only one that can figure this out.

Actually despite the sturm und drang I don't believe Larry and I are really disagreeing on the likely print run of the Hughes variant based on the preliminary numbers of the main print run....about 2000.

There's a picture of one guy with 15 of them on a piano a few pages back for crying out loud. lol The book isn't rare.

-J.

A little update, i received 2 messages via Ebay today from thirdeye comics. while i give them credit they're trying to resolve this issue, i still see they have no idea what the hell is going on....

before someone says "well they did sell quite a few of those phantoms" i realize that, but at the same time you have no idea if and when you sent out a product that someone paid for almost the begining of the month ??

Yes. It does.

Why?

Ok?

I guess we are just going to agree to disagree with this guy. He refuses/ignores facts, articles from Comichron that explain it very clearly, statements from larger retailers and people in the know. We are all insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and Jaydog is the only one that can figure this out.

Ok, going forward, I'll just let you tell me what the print run is on any particular book.

And I shall take every word as gospel.

Edited by LarrysComics

Yes. It does.

Why?

Ok?

Ok, going forward, I'll just let you tell me what the print run is on any particular book.

And I shall take every word as gospel.

I 100% agree with you. I wasn't clear in my prior post that you and I would have to disagree with Jaydog. You are I are on the same page about the whole thing.

So we have a disagreement with what the total #'s are........ But has anyone one read this book? IMO, it's awful! I couldn't even finish the book. I didn't care for any part of it.

Shhhh...people are making money in here. :shy:

:signfunny:

I just read issue #1 and I liked it.

I was a kid in the 70's and early 80's and this struck a chord with me. From Yancy Street to Frank Castle to Captain Stacy to Gwen. It was a fun little read. It reminded me of old school Spider-man and it seems that Mary Jane and Gwen will be competing no matter where a story takes place. I also have to say that while I really didn't think the main cover looked very good in all of the ads prior to the release of the book, it looks fantastic in person. I would highly recommend this to anyone a little nostalgic for the old days with a new age twist.