• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Gwen - Jason Latour and Robbie Rodriguez

2,566 posts in this topic

Spider Gwen #1 254,074

That would put the Hughes variant at about 2500 copies.

That's a rather copious amount.

-J.

Is the 1:100 based on total amount (including variants), or just the regular cover?

I honestly don't know, but I had thought it was based on the amount of the regular cover only.

Spider Gwen #1 254,074

-J.

That is 100% wrong. I am sure you are the nicest guy in the world, but you keep giving misinformation. I gave you plenty of links and information that was correct and you just refused to read it or undertand it. I guess everyone can go back and read it if they want to. The stated print run includes the shop variants that were ordered, blanks and other various junk. None of these qualify for the 1:100 variants and would leave the actual number at somewhere less than half of the amount you stated.

The ending was that no one agreed on anything, drama ensued, slym dropped a couple of GIFs, Larry was banned again, RMA quoted walls of txts and here we are again anxiously awaiting a repeat..

Or something

lol

Sounds about right.

Spider Gwen #1 254,074

-J.

That is 100% wrong. I am sure you are the nicest guy in the world, but you keep giving misinformation. I gave you plenty of links and information that was correct and you just refused to read it or undertand it. I guess everyone can go back and read it if they want to. The stated print run includes the shop variants that were ordered, blanks and other various junk. None of these qualify for the 1:100 variants and would leave the actual number at somewhere less than half of the amount you stated.

I am sorry, but you are wrong.

Recalledcomics.com is a wonderful resource that explains how to ballpark the print runs on variants. The information that you linked to does not state what you purport or believe it to state.

And yes it is based on the print run of the main cover as reported by diamond.

And keep in mind that diamond is not reporting international sales figures, which would obviously bump the numbers even higher potentially.

2500 is a fair estimate for the Hughes variant. Stop trying to make people think it's rarer than it is. 2500 copies is not "rare". It's perhaps "limited", but it is by no means "rare".

-J.

Spider Gwen #1 254,074

-J.

I am sorry, but you are wrong.

Recalledcomics.com is a wonderful resource that explains how to ballpark the print runs on variants. The information that you linked to does not state what you purport or believe it to state.

And yes it is based on the print run of the main cover as reported by diamond.

And keep in mind that diamond is not reporting international sales figures, which would obviously bump the numbers even higher potentially.

2500 is a fair estimate for the Hughes variant. Stop trying to make people think it's rarer than it is. 2500 copies is not "rare". It's perhaps "limited", but it is by no means "rare".

-J.

I guess it is better to remain ignorant. Good luck with your future endeavors.

COMICHRON explaining how market irregularities exist because of LOOTCRATE

Some of it in plain English:

February 2015 comics sales estimates online: Of "Asterisk Eras" and sales charts

March 16, 2015

by John Jackson Miller

In baseball, many of the statistics of the 1990s must be viewed with caution, as they're part of the "Steroid Era." Comics had its own Steroid Era in the early 1990s, in the sense that orders were inflated by an unprecedented number of retail accounts that had been opened on easy credit terms by the many competing distributors that existed then. Many issues in that speculation-fueled time sold into the millions, but the number of actual readers was smaller. And yet the distributors' charts were accurate: they did what they were supposed to do, reporting the number of copies they shipped.

Diamond Comic Distributors is doing exactly the same today with the charts it publishes: reporting what it shipped. Unlike the early 1990s, when nearly everything deserved an asterisk, we're fairly sure the number of comics sold is more representative of the number of active readers — but since the charts are "number-shipped" lists, there are occasions where what we see on them might not represent what we see happening in stores. We have another this month. According to Comichron's sales estimates for comics ordered in February 2015. based on data Diamond released today, in February a comic book has once again topped the monthly sales charts because of vast quantities by a single retailer, the repackager Loot Crate.

With nearly half a million copies shipped, IDW's Orphan Black #1 would, in fact, rank as the fourth best-selling comic book of the Diamond Exclusive Era, behind January's Star Wars #1, last year's Amazing Spider-Man #1, and Amazing Spider-Man #583 from 2009. It is the third time a comic book has topped the charts likely due to the massive size of Loot Crate's order.

The rankings are, again, consistent with Diamond's practices — and a handful of books with sales supercharged by Loot Crate, Nerd Block, and similar firms do not an era make, whatever adjective we choose to label them with. But they do present irregularities for market-watchers and statisticians to cope with. Because while orders from mail-order comics retailers have always been counted in the charts — and while those retailers do work with publishers to offer their own store-specific variant copies of specific titles — the Loot Crate numbers in particular are now on a huge scale. The Orphan Black total makes it possible for Loot Crate's order to account for as many as 400,000 copies — more than double what they were a year ago.

So we're encountering months in which not just some, but large majorities of the copies the bestselling titles weren't ordered by comic shops. Since the gigantic purchases are one-time, we've been using asterisks (or, rather, daggers) here at Comichron, because readers a decade hence will definitely wonder why, for example, Walking Dead #132's sales spiked so amazingly in October. But there are other statistical curiosities that come from these kinds of large purchases, which are worth noting.

For example, note the Top 5, as Diamond reported it on Friday, plus Comichron's order estimates. You can see Diamond shipped nearly twice as many copies of Orphan Black #1 as its nearest competitor:

Titles ranked by many copies Diamond shipped

Title Issue Price Publisher Copies shipped

1 Orphan Black 1* $3.99 IDW 497,002

2 Darth Vader 1 $4.99 Marvel 264,399

3 Spider-Gwen 1 $3.99 Marvel 254,074

4 Star Wars 2 $3.99 Marvel 162,042

5 Batman 39 $3.99 DC 118,106