• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarest of the rare???

51 posts in this topic

What are some of the scarcest books out there?

There are books from all ages that are scarcer than Action 1 or Detective 27, including comics printed in the last 10 years. A lot of those are artificially rare though, printed in tiny quantities.

As for Golden Age comics, there are quite a few issues with less than 5 known copies. Many obscure romance comics, offbeat early superhero issues, Canadian Whites, ashcans and other oddities are exceptionally hard to find. Some of the most desired rarities were published by a company called Centaur, and featured early work by a lot of comic greats (like Bill Everett in the example below). Certain issues are VERY hard to find, with some having less than 20 known copies. Here is one of mine. I think I have seen two copies for sale, including this one, and I think Gator estimated maybe 15-25 known.

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

There are 6 known copies of this book (complete). 15-25 might, in hindsight, be generous :o

Marvelman no.26 L Miller (no.2) 1954

(2nd appearance of Marvelman / Miracleman)

Known to be printed but thought to no longer exist - as never found (particularly when Marvel went after it) - so if I'm not mistaken, a Gerber 10 ?

Years pass

Random copy appears on ebay for 0.99 from an original owner seller who clearly has no idea what he is selling

Sells for £3,000 plus

Seller reneges on deal to both the winner and under-bidder...

And.... we don't know any more

Perhaps Metro bought it? ;)

Known to be printed but thought to no longer exist - as never found (particularly when Marvel went after it) - so if I'm not mistaken, a Gerber 10 ?

Years pass

Random copy appears on ebay for 0.99 from an original owner seller who clearly has no idea what he is selling

Sells for £3,000 plus

Reading the first hand accounts of this is riveting!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7966966&fpart=76

Years pass

Sells for £3,000 plus

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7966966&fpart=76

Thanks for the link.

Years pass

Sells for £3,000 plus

Thanks for the link.

+1

Interesting read.

What are some of the scarcest books out there?

There are books from all ages that are scarcer than Action 1 or Detective 27, including comics printed in the last 10 years. A lot of those are artificially rare though, printed in tiny quantities.

As for Golden Age comics, there are quite a few issues with less than 5 known copies. Many obscure romance comics, offbeat early superhero issues, Canadian Whites, ashcans and other oddities are exceptionally hard to find. Some of the most desired rarities were published by a company called Centaur, and featured early work by a lot of comic greats (like Bill Everett in the example below). Certain issues are VERY hard to find, with some having less than 20 known copies. Here is one of mine. I think I have seen two copies for sale, including this one, and I think Gator estimated maybe 15-25 known.

amf4_zpsf603ace3.jpg

There are 6 known copies of this book (complete). 15-25 might, in hindsight, be generous :o

You have my Larson in there?

As is common knowledge Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 are the two of the most valuable comics in existence. My question is whether or not there are less mainstream books that may not be equivalent in value but are as scarce or scarcer and more desirable?

andddddd....

Go

9C29B695-16E6-4F3F-9FC3-1450B928404A.jpg

Not even the Canadian edition! :baiting: