• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best snags of the year! Let's see your best pick-ups of 2014...

344 posts in this topic

This can be a single Item or group collection purchase of GA orig. art, comics or pulps, grade notwithstanding. The only parameters are that this should be a single purchase, not a listing of all the cool items acquired at different times throughout the year. For instance, if you snatched up an original owner collection of GA comics or pulps, all would apply if purchased as a group. An auction win would only apply to a single issue or lot. Also, if possible, indicate where, when and/or from whom you obtained your treasure.

I'll start it off with this: Marvel Mystery #3, Larson copy, purchased from master chef Bunky Bordain back in January. This tasty deal simmered awhile on the back burners, but was cooked to perfection...

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

Thanks, Brian! :hi:

I got this several months ago from that beautiful man, Mr. Bob Storms. Although I picked up some nice books in the November auctions, this is definitely my favorite of the year, and a keeper for many years to come! :cloud9:

act52.jpg

Much thanks to long time board member Russ (Xavier Logan) on releasing this gem to me, so I could own a copy again. This arrived to me in January after a few friendly weeks of negotiations :)

I was told this came out of an OO "Wooden Trunk of Timelys" in Minnesota roughly 15 years ago. I believe this was the only non Timely in the batch. Such a mesmorizing cover.

02D238A5-7B38-4D76-987B-B79928B58687_zps6jshzryo.jpg

64ED323F-4D1D-483F-8D27-6C945DFC4488_zpspbumh8qn.jpg

2014 was a great buying year for me, so this is a toughie...so many worthy candidates, mostly from boardies. However, I'll go with this one....

I've always wanted one of Mr. Church's books. As some of you may have noticed, ECs are my main collecting focus...so, a Church EC book has always been high on my want list. However, you hardly ever see them come around. So, I didn't hesitate to drop the hammer on this book when I saw it...my first Church book, plucked right off Metropolis' web site about a month ago.

css4_f_zps5bb19b81.jpg

This will only matter to me I am sure but I was able to pick up the original 1939 Don Winslow of the Navy Members Kit for a whopping 1 dollar !!!!!

14lsrw6.jpg

As for books It has to be this one I picked up from Cheetah :) "Thanks again mano !"

It's the return of everyone's favorite Pistol Packing Pirate Peach Singapore Sal !! Highest graded and the Crowley copy :)

be9h6b.jpg

Not surprisingly, after buying our first home, 2014 was not a big buying year.

However, I did land my first Canadian White... Hopefully the first of many.

ACTIVECOMICS22hi_zps8305afbd.jpg

Also landed a rare Canadian pulp (lower right), to keep my other Canadian SCIENCE FICTION pulp company. I guess my collecting is getting more patriotic.

canadianpulps_zps9e771fe4.jpg