• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best snags of the year! Let's see your best pick-ups of 2014...

344 posts in this topic

Incredible stuff guys!!!

I've completed a handful of runs and gotten a bunch of HTF books, but because of the scarcity of it, I'll go with this:

v7uq6h.jpg

very fond of the catman, but in my mind if it's 2nd, it got lapped by the suspense. wonderful book!!

They're both great covers, but when you factor in scarcity, the Suspense #4 wins hands down. To me it's a more desirable book than Suspense #3. (It's interesting that the #3 is still commanding huge prices even though it's been proved not nearly so scare as we all once thought; I guess once a certain amount of mystique develops around a book, the effects can linger for quite a while.)

Yea, you just can't find a Suspense #4. I was happy to find one I could afford. I love the #3 of course, but I think the 4 is hightly underrated. A boardie (sorry - I don't remember who it is!) a long time ago came up with his personal scarcity index of the title that I copied and saved. The higher the scarcer:

1.... 18

2.... 14

3.... 19

4.... 20

5.... 14

6.... 12

7.... 10

8.... 12

9.... 10

10.. 11

11.. 8

12.. 13

#4 is the toughest, and #1 and #3 are also tricky. Interestingly enough, issues #1 and #8 (the spider cover) qualify in the very tiny subset of comics that have quite a few slabbed but very few sold. Other comics in that subset include All-American #61, Action #13, Sub-Mariner #13, and Wonder Comics #1 (Fox). I find that subset to include some of the most highly collectible of all comics, because it implies people refuse to let their copies go no matter what the price.

Of course, I still need an 11 and although it's not that rare it commands $$$ because of the devil cover.

BTW that Lightning cover is SICK!!! Never seen that one. Love the perspective!

After 6 years of collecting the title, I was finally able to complete my 1-3 set of Jetta. I found the elusive issue #7, thanks to a friend who I'm sure would have loved to keep this for himself. Challenging to complete even in low grade, the next quest will be to find these in nice shape.

Jetta #5 - rare in and of itself but probably the easiest to find (relatively speaking) of the Jettas.

jetta5_zpsde4db493.jpg

Jetta #6 - Great Robot Cover and a very difficult book to find.

jetta6_zpsf859a5c0.jpg

Jetta #7 - picked up recently. My personal favorite cover and the toughest book to find from the short run, in my experience and opinion.

jetta7950_zps9f9ec7f1.jpg

After 6 years of collecting the title, I was finally able to complete my 1-3 set of Jetta. I found the elusive issue #7, thanks to a friend who I'm sure would have loved to keep this for himself. Challenging to complete even in low grade, the next quest will be to find these in nice shape.

Jetta #5 - rare in and of itself but probably the easiest to find (relatively speaking) of the Jettas.

jetta5_zpsde4db493.jpg

Jetta #6 - Great Robot Cover and a very difficult book to find.

jetta6_zpsf859a5c0.jpg

Jetta #7 - picked up recently. My personal favorite cover and the toughest book to find from the short run, in my experience and opinion.

jetta7950_zps9f9ec7f1.jpg

Nice books. They are so tough. I have a 5 and a 6. Still looking for the rest.

Someone once used the analogy of the Pyramid of Collecting. You start out at the bottom with more common items, then work your way to the top, where reside the rarest, the most expensive, the best.

The posters in this thread are up there in the rarefied heights. Thanks for sharing all your great finds! Great stuff! :applause:

I can't compete with a Fantastic 3, but the following book has long been on my wish list. I just finished payments so expect it to arrive any day. :whee:

WRqIMCv.jpg