• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Yay! Now he has $800 that he can away! Rinse and repeat!

I'm sorry, but buying his book was enabling him.

No it didn't

Uh huh!

Him giving me the 800 didn't enable me in any way I'm not happy about it but the offer was fair so I took it and that's all that matters Dave deals quickly so I had to act just as quickly

Isn't letting your emotions get to you one of your biggest challenges? You've made purchasing decisions and selling decisions based on emotions and a false sense of urgency.

I realize that but this was one of the few times acting quickly benefited me I also realized I can't completely kill my emotions but I can control them to make the right choices this is one example so far.

I'm done. You honestly do not deserve the advice you are getting. And I hope everyone else stops giving you advice as well.

I don't deserve advice? Red I'm a stubborn person but if push comes to shove I follow what I believe will help me.

Which is why you're in your situation. What you believe will help you has gotten you further into your mess. You should stop listening to yourself because you're giving yourself horrible advice.

I do give myself terrible advice but that's not I was getting at, what I was getting at is when I get stuck I look to my journal and pick what I think will help me out of the situation.

Huh??? You look to your journal and YOU pick what you think will help you? I guess you've made some horrible decisions so I suggest you roll a dice next time. You'll probably have better luck.

ASM 129 Update 6

The comic is now up on ebay since you guys managed to convince me :)

I just looked at your auction. As soon as eBay finds out about your offer of a "better deal" they will more than likely pull your auction. All it's going to take is one person to notify them, or they may find it themselves, and your auction is probably going to get poofed.

Wait...you're saying that his eBay listing makes mention of doing a deal off of eBay?

Seriously?

:facepalm:

No I'm just said if the want a better deal they can speak to me about it I didn't mention anything else

So, what would a buyer have to do to get 11% off?

Contact me either here, or FB and the discount would also be decided by what they offer

I'm not interested in buying it. I just wanted you to state what it would take to get the 11% off.

Using ebay to advertise your wares and then taking the sale off ebay to avoid ebay fees is unethical and a violation of ebay rules.

Well right now I can't take off the listing because it's stuck

Yay! Now he has $800 that he can away! Rinse and repeat!

I'm sorry, but buying his book was enabling him.

No it didn't

Uh huh!

Him giving me the 800 didn't enable me in any way I'm not happy about it but the offer was fair so I took it and that's all that matters Dave deals quickly so I had to act just as quickly

"A person who facilitates the self-destructive behavior of another is referred to as an enabler." - Merriam-Webster Dictionary

If you want the truth I'm also my own enabler as you say because I'm my own destruction I realize that and I'm working on it you thought I wouldn't take James advice or KPR's deal, I won't be able to change overnight but it's something I'm fixing.

I'm done. You honestly do not deserve the advice you are getting. And I hope everyone else stops giving you advice as well.

I don't deserve advice? Red I'm a stubborn person but if push comes to shove I follow what I believe will help me.

Which is why you're in your situation. What you believe will help you has gotten you further into your mess. You should stop listening to yourself because you're giving yourself horrible advice.

I do give myself terrible advice but that's not I was getting at, what I was getting at is when I get stuck I look to my journal and pick what I think will help me out of the situation.

Huh??? You look to your journal and YOU pick what you think will help you? I guess you've made some horrible decisions so I suggest you roll a dice next time. You'll probably have better luck.

Yes that would be correct I do pick what I think will help me out and I don't want to rely on luck I want to make the right choices myself because luck will only take you so far.

Not to pile on, but you should really add a back cover scan, GET RID OF the sentence about the 11% off thing (eBay won't like that), and I would clarify what you mean by "the case has some scuffs and scratches" -- if it's something minor, then say that, but the way you have it now, I could see someone taking an additional $50 off of their offer if they think they will need to ship it to/from CGC for reholdering -- you already have so many things working against this sale with it being out of the country, a common book, etc. -- you are just making a sale less and less likely.

Yeah I'll fix that sentence and I tried adding a back cover scan but it said it went against their policy, What I mean but scuffs and scratches it exactly as is sounds it's not something that requires re casing but something I put for all my slabs just in case.

It's a really minor detail and not a big deal, but just to give you my perspective as a potential buyer -- from reading your sentence about it having some scuffs and scratches (and a blurry fc scan with no bc scan), I'm instantly thinking "I guess I'm going to have to pay to get this thing re-holdered, wait months for CGC to get it back to me, etc." I get that it's just to cover yourself with a picky buyer, but I would consider just leaving that one line out of future listings unless there really is a noteworthy scratch or scuff.

Not to pile on, but you should really add a back cover scan, GET RID OF the sentence about the 11% off thing (eBay won't like that), and I would clarify what you mean by "the case has some scuffs and scratches" -- if it's something minor, then say that, but the way you have it now, I could see someone taking an additional $50 off of their offer if they think they will need to ship it to/from CGC for reholdering -- you already have so many things working against this sale with it being out of the country, a common book, etc. -- you are just making a sale less and less likely.

Yeah I'll fix that sentence and I tried adding a back cover scan but it said it went against their policy, What I mean but scuffs and scratches it exactly as is sounds it's not something that requires re casing but something I put for all my slabs just in case.

It's a really minor detail and not a big deal, but just to give you my perspective as a potential buyer -- from reading your sentence about it having some scuffs and scratches (and a blurry fc scan with no bc scan), I'm instantly thinking "I guess I'm going to have to pay to get this thing re-holdered, wait months for CGC to get it back to me, etc." I get that it's just to cover yourself with a picky buyer, but I would consider just leaving that one line out of future listings unless there really is a noteworthy scratch or scuff.

I see it's just that I had some friends get negative feedback over it so I thought I'd protect myself so you really think no one will really mind?

Gabe, I'll give you $800 shipped. No fee to you. I'm in the US. Offer is good until 9:30 PM eastern tonight.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

He should take the money and run.

But I know he won't.

I wouldn't be so sure of that ;)

I'm happy you proved me wrong, I think this was a good move.

Is the money going right into savings or are you going to buy more books with it? I only ask because you said you were going to do the $11 a week budget for the time being.

Gabe, I'll give you $800 shipped. No fee to you. I'm in the US. Offer is good until 9:30 PM eastern tonight.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

But I know he won't.

Is the money going right into savings or are you going to buy more books with it? I only ask because you said you were going to do the $11 a week budget for the time being.

I'm going to buy more comics as soon as it clears but I'm still following the budget James told me because I haven't gone overboard with any of my spending. I'm thinking I might make a sales thread to raise some cash.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

But I know he won't.

I'm going to buy more comics as soon as it clears but I'm still following the budget James told me because I haven't gone overboard with any of my spending. I'm thinking I might make a sales thread to raise some cash.

You need to buy more comics like I need a bullet in my head.

You don't know enough about the market to buy books.

Bro, you don't even have the ability to market the books that you have.

A blurry picture + stating a case has scratches etc makes buyers think something is wrong with the book.As in the inner holder may or may not be cracked, requiring re-grading...or best case, reholdering.

When asked about that, you respond with something like "you think so?".

That is only one example.I could spend a week reading this thread, composing a 100 page essay with a point by counterpoint breakdown on 99% of your posts...

You should sell all the books that you have before you spend a single dollar on books.

Organize your boxes and do conventions.Post books on eBay.Use this forum for market research.

Get a haircut, a job, an apartment and date girls.Or date dudes, whatever floats your boat.

Get some life experience before you spend money on comics.

Do the above for a year, than when you have a better handle on things....take some of the money you have earned and buy books.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

But I know he won't.

A blurry picture + stating a case has scratches etc makes buyers think something is wrong with the book.As in the inner holder may or may not be cracked, requiring re-grading...or best case, reholdering.

That is only one example.I could spend a week reading this thread, composing a 100 page essay with a point by counterpoint breakdown on 99% of your posts...

You should sell all the books that you have before you spend a single dollar on books.

Organize your boxes and do conventions.Post books on eBay.Use this forum for market research.

Get a haircut, a job, an apartment and date girls.Or date dudes, whatever floats your boat.

Do the above for a year, than when you have a better handle on things....take some of the money you have earned and buy books.

I'll talk about your points then, I buy comics and I sell them and I do market them I say that their scratched because I'm afraid of getting a negative for it being not as described. I also answered "You think so?" because I'm not sure which is why I asked as Adam knows more then I do.

With selling my comics that's exactly what I'm doing I'm selling the more expensive ones, holding some and that leaves me with a bunch of dollar comics.

My comics are organized somewhat and as for going to conventions I see merit in it I'll do it and I already post comics on ebay.

I already have a job but still live with my parents could care less about dating.

I assume by life experience you mean me knowing the market and making better choices.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

But I know he won't.

I wouldn't be so sure of that ;) [/quot

I'll talk about your points then, I buy comics and I sell them and I do market them I say that their scratched because I'm afraid of getting a negative for it being not as described. I also answered "You think so?" because I'm not sure which is why I asked as Adam knows more then I do.

With selling my comics that's exactly what I'm doing I'm selling the more expensive ones, holding some and that leaves me with a bunch of dollar comics.

My comics are organized somewhat and as for going to conventions I see merit in it I'll do it and I already post comics on ebay.

I already have a job but still live with my parents could care less about dating.

I assume by life experience you mean me knowing the market and making better choices.

Don't forget about:

1. Learn how to take clear, high quality pictures.

2. Write a clear, concise description of the item for sale.

Both of these skills are not difficult to master, but for an experienced comic dealer/flipper like you, your pictures and descriptions look like they were taken and written by an 80 year old person whose last use of a camera was a Polaroid instamatic and the descriptions are written by the same 80 year old who just found a comic book in his attic from his childhood. He knows it's a comic and that's about it.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

But I know he won't.

Don't forget about:

Both of these skills are not difficult to master, but for an experienced comic dealer/flipper like you, your pictures and descriptions look like they were taken and written by an 80 year old person whose last use of a camera was a Polaroid instamatic and the descriptions are written by the same 80 year old who just found a comic book in his attic from his childhood. He knows it's a comic and that's about it.

I'd actually recommend you get a used scanner (that can handle slabs) if you plan on selling $800 - $900 slabs or pretty much any higher end books. Photos are fine for $50 items but at that price a scan is typically desired.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

But I know he won't.

Don't forget about:

The pictures were just there temporarily because if I would have added better pictures the day after as artificial lighting messes up my song bloggie which is what I take pics with.

For the description can you give a example of a better one? I assume that people know what this is so I just give a description of the grade and what the comic is so that people would be able to find it on ebay easier

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

But I know he won't.

Don't forget about:

I'd actually recommend you get a used scanner (that can handle slabs) if you plan on selling $800 - $900 slabs or pretty much any higher end books. Photos are fine for $50 items but at that price a scan is typically desired.

I do have a scanner but one that one fits scans raw comics I did try to scan a slab but it didn't work.

ASM 129 Update 6

The comic is now up on ebay since you guys managed to convince me :)

I just looked at your auction. As soon as eBay finds out about your offer of a "better deal" they will more than likely pull your auction. All it's going to take is one person to notify them, or they may find it themselves, and your auction is probably going to get poofed.

Hopefully not but if it happens I can at least say I tried

You tried what? To cheat someone? For a guy who has been scammed as many times as you have and professes to not feel good about it, you don't seem to have any problem doing it to someone else. eBay is a business, and they deserve to be paid for the service that they offer. How do you justify listing your book and then saying in your auction to basically contact you to conduct the sale off eBay, thereby using ebays service to advertise your book, but then depriving them of their rightful fees by selling the book off eBay to a buyer who most likely would never have known about your book without eBay. If you're not happy with ebays fees, then don't list your book on there, but if you do use their service, they deserve to be compensated for the service they provide. It's not their fault that you overpaid for a book that's as common as a dishonest politician. But, professing on one hand to be upset about getting scammed yourself and then turning around and trying to do it to someone else (eBay) isn't cool at all. Have you ever heard the phrase "he's talking out of both sides of his mouth"? If not, look it up, because that's exactly what your doing.

Tried to cheat someone? That's not it at all I use ebay and everywhere else I can think of to sell what I have it's nothing personal if it sells on ebay I'll rightly give them their fees. No it's my fault I overpaid for the comic and I realize that and it's no one's fault but my own. I've had a few problems where I needed their help and I lost money because of it how do you think that made me feel? So I'll say it again just to be clear if it sells on ebay I give them the fees if doesn't then I sell it where I can I've had many listings where they just sit unless I try fb or something and if it gets sold elsewhere I cancel my listing it's as simple as that. I don't deprive anyone of anything.

Might want go read your user agreement..... you are not allowed to advertise on their page - then offer to do a deal elsewhere for less. Why would they? This is unethical at the very least - and you would be cheating ebay. Not a person, but a very large entity that could pretty quickly shut you out of one of the best "lower end" marketplaces out there at the moment,.

Having it listed in multiple places - as long as it does not violate the rules of the location - go for it.

But using one site to advertise sales for another site or transaction type? Seriously - this is the kind of activity you should know NOT to do.

8 8