• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Gabe, I'll give you $800 shipped. No fee to you. I'm in the US. Offer is good until 9:30 PM eastern tonight.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

He should take the money and run.

But I know he won't.

:facepalm:

I wouldn't be so sure of that ;) [/quot

I'm happy you proved me wrong, I think this was a good move.

Is the money going right into savings or are you going to buy more books with it? I only ask because you said you were going to do the $11 a week budget for the time being.

I'm going to buy more comics as soon as it clears but I'm still following the budget James told me because I haven't gone overboard with any of my spending. I'm thinking I might make a sales thread to raise some cash.

You need to buy more comics like I need a bullet in my head.

You don't know enough about the market to buy books.

Bro, you don't even have the ability to market the books that you have.

A blurry picture + stating a case has scratches etc makes buyers think something is wrong with the book.As in the inner holder may or may not be cracked, requiring re-grading...or best case, reholdering.

When asked about that, you respond with something like "you think so?".

That is only one example.I could spend a week reading this thread, composing a 100 page essay with a point by counterpoint breakdown on 99% of your posts...

You should sell all the books that you have before you spend a single dollar on books.

Organize your boxes and do conventions.Post books on eBay.Use this forum for market research.

Get a haircut, a job, an apartment and date girls.Or date dudes, whatever floats your boat.

Get some life experience before you spend money on comics.

Do the above for a year, than when you have a better handle on things....take some of the money you have earned and buy books.

I'll talk about your points then, I buy comics and I sell them and I do market them I say that their scratched because I'm afraid of getting a negative for it being not as described. I also answered "You think so?" because I'm not sure which is why I asked as Adam knows more then I do.

With selling my comics that's exactly what I'm doing I'm selling the more expensive ones, holding some and that leaves me with a bunch of dollar comics.

My comics are organized somewhat and as for going to conventions I see merit in it I'll do it and I already post comics on ebay.

I already have a job but still live with my parents could care less about dating.

I assume by life experience you mean me knowing the market and making better choices.

Don't forget about:

1. Learn how to take clear, high quality pictures.

2. Write a clear, concise description of the item for sale.

Both of these skills are not difficult to master, but for an experienced comic dealer/flipper like you, your pictures and descriptions look like they were taken and written by an 80 year old person whose last use of a camera was a Polaroid instamatic and the descriptions are written by the same 80 year old who just found a comic book in his attic from his childhood. He knows it's a comic and that's about it.

The pictures were just there temporarily because if I would have added better pictures the day after as artificial lighting messes up my song bloggie which is what I take pics with.

For the description can you give a example of a better one? I assume that people know what this is so I just give a description of the grade and what the comic is so that people would be able to find it on ebay easier

How come you always do this? Why can't you just go on eBay and look at how other people put descriptions for their books. I understand you have a learning disability, but you should be able to at least search eBay listings yourself and not have it spoonfed to you. I'm not trying to be mean, but I see you do this constantly.

ASM 129 Update 6

The comic is now up on ebay since you guys managed to convince me :)

I just looked at your auction. As soon as eBay finds out about your offer of a "better deal" they will more than likely pull your auction. All it's going to take is one person to notify them, or they may find it themselves, and your auction is probably going to get poofed.

Hopefully not but if it happens I can at least say I tried

You tried what? To cheat someone? For a guy who has been scammed as many times as you have and professes to not feel good about it, you don't seem to have any problem doing it to someone else. eBay is a business, and they deserve to be paid for the service that they offer. How do you justify listing your book and then saying in your auction to basically contact you to conduct the sale off eBay, thereby using ebays service to advertise your book, but then depriving them of their rightful fees by selling the book off eBay to a buyer who most likely would never have known about your book without eBay. If you're not happy with ebays fees, then don't list your book on there, but if you do use their service, they deserve to be compensated for the service they provide. It's not their fault that you overpaid for a book that's as common as a dishonest politician. But, professing on one hand to be upset about getting scammed yourself and then turning around and trying to do it to someone else (eBay) isn't cool at all. Have you ever heard the phrase "he's talking out of both sides of his mouth"? If not, look it up, because that's exactly what your doing.

Tried to cheat someone? That's not it at all I use ebay and everywhere else I can think of to sell what I have it's nothing personal if it sells on ebay I'll rightly give them their fees. No it's my fault I overpaid for the comic and I realize that and it's no one's fault but my own. I've had a few problems where I needed their help and I lost money because of it how do you think that made me feel? So I'll say it again just to be clear if it sells on ebay I give them the fees if doesn't then I sell it where I can I've had many listings where they just sit unless I try fb or something and if it gets sold elsewhere I cancel my listing it's as simple as that. I don't deprive anyone of anything.

Might want go read your user agreement..... you are not allowed to advertise on their page - then offer to do a deal elsewhere for less. Why would they? This is unethical at the very least - and you would be cheating ebay. Not a person, but a very large entity that could pretty quickly shut you out of one of the best "lower end" marketplaces out there at the moment,.

Having it listed in multiple places - as long as it does not violate the rules of the location - go for it.

But using one site to advertise sales for another site or transaction type? Seriously - this is the kind of activity you should know NOT to do.

You make a point so this time I ended some video games listings on ebay and posted them on fb since I've seen them sell quicker there

Edited by uchiha101

Gabe, I'll give you $800 shipped. No fee to you. I'm in the US. Offer is good until 9:30 PM eastern tonight.

I'm in the US.

Dave

hm

He should take the money and run.

But I know he won't.

:facepalm:

I wouldn't be so sure of that ;) [/quot

I'm happy you proved me wrong, I think this was a good move.

Is the money going right into savings or are you going to buy more books with it? I only ask because you said you were going to do the $11 a week budget for the time being.

I'm going to buy more comics as soon as it clears but I'm still following the budget James told me because I haven't gone overboard with any of my spending. I'm thinking I might make a sales thread to raise some cash.

You need to buy more comics like I need a bullet in my head.

You don't know enough about the market to buy books.

Bro, you don't even have the ability to market the books that you have.

A blurry picture + stating a case has scratches etc makes buyers think something is wrong with the book.As in the inner holder may or may not be cracked, requiring re-grading...or best case, reholdering.

When asked about that, you respond with something like "you think so?".

That is only one example.I could spend a week reading this thread, composing a 100 page essay with a point by counterpoint breakdown on 99% of your posts...

You should sell all the books that you have before you spend a single dollar on books.

Organize your boxes and do conventions.Post books on eBay.Use this forum for market research.

Get a haircut, a job, an apartment and date girls.Or date dudes, whatever floats your boat.

Get some life experience before you spend money on comics.

Do the above for a year, than when you have a better handle on things....take some of the money you have earned and buy books.

I'll talk about your points then, I buy comics and I sell them and I do market them I say that their scratched because I'm afraid of getting a negative for it being not as described. I also answered "You think so?" because I'm not sure which is why I asked as Adam knows more then I do.

With selling my comics that's exactly what I'm doing I'm selling the more expensive ones, holding some and that leaves me with a bunch of dollar comics.

My comics are organized somewhat and as for going to conventions I see merit in it I'll do it and I already post comics on ebay.

I already have a job but still live with my parents could care less about dating.

I assume by life experience you mean me knowing the market and making better choices.

Don't forget about:

1. Learn how to take clear, high quality pictures.

2. Write a clear, concise description of the item for sale.

Both of these skills are not difficult to master, but for an experienced comic dealer/flipper like you, your pictures and descriptions look like they were taken and written by an 80 year old person whose last use of a camera was a Polaroid instamatic and the descriptions are written by the same 80 year old who just found a comic book in his attic from his childhood. He knows it's a comic and that's about it.

The pictures were just there temporarily because if I would have added better pictures the day after as artificial lighting messes up my song bloggie which is what I take pics with.

For the description can you give a example of a better one? I assume that people know what this is so I just give a description of the grade and what the comic is so that people would be able to find it on ebay easier

How come you always do this? Why can't you just go on eBay and look at how other people put descriptions for their books. I understand you have a learning disability, but you should be able to at least search eBay listings yourself and not have it spoonfed to you. I'm not trying to be mean, but I see you do this constantly.

I do this because you know better then I do and I went over 30 listings that were cgc and this is what I noticed

Page Quality

Description of the story

1st appearance

Grade

Movie rumor news

Is that what you mean? To make it more appealing to buyers?

[For the description can you give a example of a better one?

Seriously? It's Amazing Spider-Man 129

Here you go.

Amazing Spider-Man 129 CGC 8.0

(insert page quality)

First appearance of the Punisher

THAT's IT! This is not rocket science. You don't need to talk about movie news or the story. Buyers of the book already know what it is. You're not trying to sell sand in the dessert.

Here you go.

(insert page quality)

THAT's IT! This is not rocket science. You don't need to talk about movie news or the story. Buyers of the book already know what it is. You're not trying to sell sand in the dessert.

That's basically what I put on my listing but something must be missing if boardies are mentioning it.

Here you go.

(insert page quality)

That's basically what I put on my listing but something must be missing if boardies are mentioning it.

You might want to put a bit more than that.

Title, issue number, publisher, grade, page quality, serial number if it's 3rd party graded (that doesn't always show up well even in scans), key elements such as 1st appearances, etc.

Some would argue that creator credits - writer, artist, cover artist - is redundant and unnecessary but it could help lend the impression that you are at least marginally knowledgable about comics. And there are still - shockingly - some buyers who will purchase a book because a particular creator worked on it.

Also, it's good to list your method of shipping, a bit of a description on how you pack (without going into excessive detail), whether you'll combine purchases to save on shipping, and what your return policy is.

Here you go.

(insert page quality)

You might want to put a bit more than that.

Title, issue number, publisher, grade, page quality, serial number if it's 3rd party graded (that doesn't always show up well even in scans), key elements such as 1st appearances, etc.

Some would argue that creator credits - writer, artist, cover artist - is redundant and unnecessary but it could help lend the impression that you are at least marginally knowledgable about comics. And there are still - shockingly - some buyers who will purchase a book because a particular creator worked on it.

Also, it's good to list your method of shipping, a bit of a description on how you pack (without going into excessive detail), whether you'll combine purchases to save on shipping, and what your return policy is.

So I see I have quite a bit of things to add and I do describe how I ship the comic and people but comics from their favorite artists and others because they like that person and it's not that uncommon but everyone now is chasing after hot comics.

The thing with eBay is this: .. every Seller (whether they actually are or not) needs to be seen to be as Professional as possible and make their listings also look as Professional as possible.

I'm pointing out the obvious to many on here, but Gabe might not see the pitfalls for successful selling on the 'bay.

Gabe, If you put blurry pics and hardly any notes in the listing .. potential buyers will just walk away. I see it all the time, people are fickle: if it doesn't look good (nevermind if the price is good or not) they will move on to the next listing.

A typical example is if you have your own website: if it doesn't grab the first-time visitor within 10-15 seconds .. they're gone.

Make your listings as good as you possibly can .. and also investigate eBay's Templates (they frame the main description). Looks are pretty much everything.

but everyone now is chasing after hot comics.

No, not everyone, not even close.

That assumption will prevent you from succeeding.

although if one assumed that everyone was chasing after hot comics...what on earth would make you think you could do it better (or even the same) as anyone (let alone EVERYONE) else??????

Are you better at math? Do you have a better memory? Do you have more comic knowledge? More business skills? More capital to buy in bigger lots or take bigger risks or hedge your losses (do you know what 'hedge' means?)? Better comic connections for buying or selling? Any sort of geographical advantage? Better organization skills? Can you process information faster? A better pulse of the current market in order to speculate on comics before they get hot? Local access to untapped supplies? Better at grading? Better at spotting restoration?

but everyone now is chasing after hot comics.

No, not everyone, not even close.

That assumption will prevent you from succeeding.

Yeah. That's what it is. It's that assumption.

When I lived in LA fifteen years ago, I just assumed Jessica Alba liked guys taller than me. That prevented me from succeeding with her.

Edited by Revat

8 8