• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Op is selling a cover less asm 7 on fb for $150 with top left corner of the book chopped off

Meanwhile, blue cgc 4.5 on eBay for $253 OBO that hasn't been bought yet...

Might consider different pricing strategy

With all due respect to the OP I can't imagine that book being worth more than $50-75

So when you come out with an asking price of likely more than two times fair market value it doesn't do anything to instill or create buyer confidence

Or assist with seller credibility

Ok but I don't understand what credibility has to do with this unless they would think I'm trying to rip them off? It's a OBO and right now I'm testing the waters to see if I'll get any offers for it.

I like to think the questions being asked are comig from a child but I know that it's coming from someone in their mid-20s. So sad...

I don't think it's sad to ask about something you're not sure about I may not be as smart as you guys but at least I'm trying.

It's sad how a 27 year old can't figure out how over pricing a book can impact their credibility as a legit seller. You seem very sure of your pricing methods and it makes total sense to you however your prices don't make any sense for the reasons mentioned by the other posters. It seems like you're hoping to sucker a new collector in over paying for your book just like the seller did to you.

^^

Gabe, the market for that book is going to be very, very difficult.

Overpriced books can be a big turn off. Being at the high end of GPA is one thing but books that are in the stratosphere, like yours for this mangled, coverless ASM #7 just make legit buyers/collectors laugh or scoff and move on and if you don't think buyers make "mental notes" of sellers, you are wrong. You are showing this inexperience over 8 FB pages too no less. LISTEN TO WHAT GATOR IS TELLING YOU.

Also, I am not surprised to see that you did not listen to my advice about cleaning up your online presence.

You still have My Little Pony and far right American political stuff on your FB page. Seriously, you are CANADIAN. WTF? Share if "You Think (Obama) Wants Civil Unrest to Disrupt the Election" - Are you out of your freaking mind? Also, what is with this "Meninist" ? Your rant against Emma Watson was the icing on the cake. She has accomplished more in 15 minutes than you have in your entire life. Get an education. Or, at the very least, understand that excessive posting of social/political views online, generally not a good thing.

As an employer, if I saw your online postings, your application would be going straight to the garbage.

2c

I don't like her views and feminist logic so I'll leave it at that. I know that the comic book community is small don't get me wrong but I also know that you can ask whatever you want because it's your comic and as you said they'll just scoff and move on, that said it only means I'll be sitting with a overpriced comic and with what gator told me I said that I would change the price after the weekend if I get no bites.

Although you should probably work the other way. Always buy for half or less of the lowest price you think you'll realize so you never lose money when you sell.

Op is selling a cover less asm 7 on fb for $150 with top left corner of the book chopped off

With all due respect to the OP I can't imagine that book being worth more than $50-75

So when you come out with an asking price of likely more than two times fair market value it doesn't do anything to instill or create buyer confidence

Ok but I don't understand what credibility has to do with this unless they would think I'm trying to rip them off? It's a OBO and right now I'm testing the waters to see if I'll get any offers for it.

I like to think the questions being asked are comig from a child but I know that it's coming from someone in their mid-20s. So sad...

I don't think it's sad to ask about something you're not sure about I may not be as smart as you guys but at least I'm trying.

It's sad how a 27 year old can't figure out how over pricing a book can impact their credibility as a legit seller. You seem very sure of your pricing methods and it makes total sense to you however your prices don't make any sense for the reasons mentioned by the other posters. It seems like you're hoping to sucker a new collector in over paying for your book just like the seller did to you.

^^

Gabe, the market for that book is going to be very, very difficult.

Overpriced books can be a big turn off. Being at the high end of GPA is one thing but books that are in the stratosphere, like yours for this mangled, coverless ASM #7 just make legit buyers/collectors laugh or scoff and move on and if you don't think buyers make "mental notes" of sellers, you are wrong. You are showing this inexperience over 8 FB pages too no less. LISTEN TO WHAT GATOR IS TELLING YOU.

Also, I am not surprised to see that you did not listen to my advice about cleaning up your online presence.

You still have My Little Pony and far right American political stuff on your FB page. Seriously, you are CANADIAN. WTF? Share if "You Think (Obama) Wants Civil Unrest to Disrupt the Election" - Are you out of your freaking mind? Also, what is with this "Meninist" ? Your rant against Emma Watson was the icing on the cake. She has accomplished more in 15 minutes than you have in your entire life. Get an education. Or, at the very least, understand that excessive posting of social/political views online, generally not a good thing.

As an employer, if I saw your online postings, your application would be going straight to the garbage.

2c

I could be wrong, but I don't think people looking for dishwashers are really too concerned with FB.

Remember, this guy couldn't get hired by KFC and I know their standards are super low...because I worked for them as one of the first jobs I ever had :insane:

Yeah that was pretty terrible

Although you should probably work the other way. Always buy for half or less of the lowest price you think you'll realize so you never lose money when you sell.

People who accept lower profit margins either have buyers lined up or sell volume, neither of which is your bag

Edited by Revat

You obviously don't know what the word "Credibility" means. Here is an assignment for you: Look up the definition of Credibility. Next, post that definition in your response. Next, tell us why asking between 2 and 3 times the value of your book does or does not hurt Your credibility and why. And by the way, your answer cannot include the fact that You overpaid for the book in the first place and it cannot include "But I put OBO". If you do this, you MIGHT actually learn something. I won't hold my breath, but stranger things have probably happened. Oh, and by the way, when you are asking 2 to 3 times market price for your book, why would a potential customer Not think that you are trying to rip them off?

Definition of the word credibility

the quality of being believable or worthy of trust:

I was always told by my dad to always ask double and work my way down so if people haggle I'll still get the price I want.

How much success has he had selling collectibles on the Internet ?

He doesn't sell collectibles anymore but he used to have his own little booth and selling things he'd find on his trips like coins, antique dolls, furniture, records, gold and silver

That's a simple way to remember things.

People who accept lower profit margins either have buyers lined up or sell volume, neither of which is your bag

I would definitely buy from a seller who is reputable and have good prices versus someone with no credibility and over-prices their books. Someone who is wishy washy and over-priced will not get repeat business or any business at all.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he draws connections between things that seem obvious to most of us, even when they are pointed out to him. And so obviously he wouldn't assume others are making those connections too. Could be a disorder, could be good old fashioned lack of sense, could be willful ignorance. Or a combo

but what can be done? He will never be successful in selling comics without those connection-making abilities, but he will never accept that truth without those abilities either.

Will he listen to and actually heed advice about building a healthier and stronger body and mind and image? Preferably also while building personal and professional skills and financial security?

Did you get better at math today? Did you improve your memory? Did you run farther or faster? Did you watch YouTube to learn better dishwashing technique? You KNOW you're behind in nearly every phase of life and that you'll have to work harder, are you improving yourself each day? I don't mean searching for deals, playing video games, or reading about how the US president murdered your puppy. What makes you better than you were yesterday? Not that anyone MUST improve, but you claim that you do, you claim to have goals.

Take some business classes

Borrow some library books to stretch your brain

Read some books or magazines that smart people read

Do some push-ups, jog a mile.

Use YouTube to learn some skills.

Learn a foreign language, it strengthens your brain

I'll answer this first. Yes I have trouble with things that people think is obvious because it's not to me or I wouldn't ask it's something most take for granted. In terms of math I did some calculations with two comics I might be buying.

I used to read a lot buy haven't in the last two or three years, I took business classes in high school and college, I haven't worked out in about 7 years if you're taking about things like gym sessions. I do know another language other then English

You obviously don't know what the word "Credibility" means. Here is an assignment for you: Look up the definition of Credibility. Next, post that definition in your response. Next, tell us why asking between 2 and 3 times the value of your book does or does not hurt Your credibility and why. And by the way, your answer cannot include the fact that You overpaid for the book in the first place and it cannot include "But I put OBO". If you do this, you MIGHT actually learn something. I won't hold my breath, but stranger things have probably happened. Oh, and by the way, when you are asking 2 to 3 times market price for your book, why would a potential customer Not think that you are trying to rip them off?

I was always told by my dad to always ask double and work my way down so if people haggle I'll still get the price I want.

Another excuse. This time it's your dads fault? You didn't even answer the questions, you just blamed your overpricing on your dad and let it go at that. You're 23 years old, at what point do you intend to start taking responsibility for your own actions? If your dad always told you to rob a bank whenever you were short of money, would you think that was good advice?

I would definitely buy from a seller who is reputable and have good prices versus someone with no credibility and over-prices their books. Someone who is wishy washy and over-priced will not get repeat business or any business at all.

Well I have credibility with being honest and fair with people but my comics are overpriced in most situations.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he draws connections between things that seem obvious to most of us, even when they are pointed out to him. And so obviously he wouldn't assume others are making those connections too. Could be a disorder, could be good old fashioned lack of sense, could be willful ignorance. Or a combo

but what can be done? He will never be successful in selling comics without those connection-making abilities, but he will never accept that truth without those abilities either.

Will he listen to and actually heed advice about building a healthier and stronger body and mind and image? Preferably also while building personal and professional skills and financial security?

Did you get better at math today? Did you improve your memory? Did you run farther or faster? Did you watch YouTube to learn better dishwashing technique? You KNOW you're behind in nearly every phase of life and that you'll have to work harder, are you improving yourself each day? I don't mean searching for deals, playing video games, or reading about how the US president murdered your puppy. What makes you better than you were yesterday? Not that anyone MUST improve, but you claim that you do, you claim to have goals.

I'll answer this first. Yes I have trouble with things that people think is obvious because it's not to me or I wouldn't ask it's something most take for granted. In terms of math I did some calculations with two comics I might be buying.

I used to read a lot buy haven't in the last two or three years, I took business classes in high school and college, I haven't worked out in about 7 years if you're taking about things like gym sessions. I do know another language other then English

You're buying books again? What are the two you're considering?

Well I have credibility with being honest and fair with people but my comics are overpriced in most situations.

How is asking 2 to 3 times market price being fair? And your comics are overpriced in every case.

Another excuse. This time it's your dads fault? You didn't even answer the questions, you just blamed your overpricing on your dad and let it go at that. You're 23 years old, at what point do you intend to start taking responsibility for your own actions? If your dad always told you to rob a bank whenever you were short of money, would you think that was good advice?

I did answer the question you asked me why I priced things 2-3 times higher and I answered that I follow what my dad told me. No I don't follow everything he says but he knows much more then I probably ever will. Responsibility for my actions? I already have if you haven't noticed, I followed James's advice of sticking to a budget, I'm addressing my problems of dealing with emotional impulses and I've taken losses. The final and one of the most important things I've said is that I admitted I made mistakes and realizing I have more then one problem

Betty and me 16

NYX 4

How is asking 2 to 3 times market price being fair? And your comics are overpriced in every case.

It's fair because I allow people to haggle if they don't like the price and also my comics weren't overpriced in every case if that were so I wouldn't have made a profit on comics or sold them for losses which either way means it was a fair enough price to make them buy it

Yes, what 2 books, with the lofty price of $5.50 each, are you considering purchasing? That is, unless you've already bailed on limiting your comic buying to $11.00 per week?

Betty and me 16

NYX 4

I think NYX #4 is worth more than $11 (tsk)

Betty and me 16

NYX 4

Maybe they're both coverless? :facepalm:

Betty and me 16

NYX 4

Maybe they're both coverless? :facepalm:

:ohnoez:

Yes, what 2 books, with the lofty price of $5.50 each, are you considering purchasing? That is, unless you've already bailed on limiting your comic buying to $11.00 per week?

Betty and me 16 4.5/5.0 $5.50

NYX 4 4.5/5.0 $4

He's getting me the shipping quote before I agree to buy them

8 8