• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

That said if people see me change the price down to about 75 bucks won't that lead them to believe they can lowball me?

And you counter-offer, which at least starts a conversation on the book. At the price you're at there is zero chance of that happening.

Or, leave it at the price it is at. Hell, double it to make it even higher. It is only two days, right?

No I won't make it worse then it is but why is two days such a big deal? I don't sell comics that quickly

You won't sell them quick because your prices are not in line with what books like that go for. You just don't get it. You're really clueless.

I agree for the most part and some comics I really underpriced and people still didn't ask anything about them and I can't sell them for free

That should tell you one of two things:

1) You're not really underpriced

or

2) You are holding onto comics that are literally worthless, meaning nobody wants them at any price. There are literally thousands of these books out there, it's only logical that you would acquire a few of them in your career as a comic book flipper.

Have you ever heard the saying "There's an for every seat"? Well, forget it, it's not true. There's tons of stuff out there that you can't pay someone to take. You are obviously sitting on some of that stuff, so get rid of it. Give it to the Goodwill, or better yet, give them away to kids (the kid friendly ones anyway). In any event, just get rid of them, if nothing else, you'll free up some space, and you won't be constantly reminded of the mistake you made when you bought them every time you see them.

I agree most of what I have is overpriced junk but I can give a good example

ASM 101 6.5/7.0 for 75 bucks and now one wanted it and I know that's a good price

Unless it isn't 6.5/7.0, in which case it goes with the rest of your admitted overpriced junk.

If you have trouble pricing how do you know your junk is overpriced?

No the grade was right as it was graded by the boardies but it had a lot of distributors ink and I call tell junk comics because they won't sell no matter what I price it at. Whereas overpriced comics just need a price adjustment

That said if people see me change the price down to about 75 bucks won't that lead them to believe they can lowball me?

And you counter-offer, which at least starts a conversation on the book. At the price you're at there is zero chance of that happening.

Or, leave it at the price it is at. Hell, double it to make it even higher. It is only two days, right?

No I won't make it worse then it is but why is two days such a big deal? I don't sell comics that quickly

Then make it four days. Or six. What's the big deal?

Because I only post and bump comics three days in the week and making it any longer then it's supposed to be would be pointless

If you actually wanted to sell the book you'd change a price you know to be wrong. What if your potential buyer sees it today? But if that'd be too much work then leave it for two more days. Or four, if it's too much work to change it Monday.

It appears he mostly only listens to the stupid advice and largely ignores the good advice. I cannot blame that on a learning disability...I blame that on willful ignorance.

What stupid advice did I follow here?

I honestly don't care enough anymore to explain things to you.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

You won't sell them quick because your prices are not in line with what books like that go for. You just don't get it. You're really clueless.

I agree for the most part and some comics I really underpriced and people still didn't ask anything about them and I can't sell them for free

or

2) You are holding onto comics that are literally worthless, meaning nobody wants them at any price. There are literally thousands of these books out there, it's only logical that you would acquire a few of them in your career as a comic book flipper.

Have you ever heard the saying "There's an for every seat"? Well, forget it, it's not true. There's tons of stuff out there that you can't pay someone to take. You are obviously sitting on some of that stuff, so get rid of it. Give it to the Goodwill, or better yet, give them away to kids (the kid friendly ones anyway). In any event, just get rid of them, if nothing else, you'll free up some space, and you won't be constantly reminded of the mistake you made when you bought them every time you see them.

ASM 101 6.5/7.0 for 75 bucks and now one wanted it and I know that's a good price

This is where credibility comes into play. First, the grade of the book is either 6.5 OR 7.0 (or another, likely lower grade), it can't be both. You need to learn to grade, so that you can say exactly what grade a given book is in, unless it's a third party graded book. If you're selling a book and you think it grades 6.5 to 7.0, call it a 6.5. Nobody is ever going to complain that you sold them an undergraded book, but if you don't have enough confidence in your grading ability to assign a firm grade to the book, most people won't even bother with you. Also, and if you don't understand anything else, understand this: A collectible, be it a comic book, car, coin or anything else, is worth exactly what someone will pay for it, nothing more. The amount you paid or the price in a price guide means absolutely zero. Let's say you have book "X" that you paid $20.00 for, and the guide value is $75.00. You put it on eBay and it sells for $10.00. What is that book worth? The answer is $10.00, because that was what the high bidder was willing to pay. You need to learn some simple economic lessons or you will never get ahead.

Because I only post and bump comics three days in the week and making it any longer then it's supposed to be would be pointless

If you actually wanted to sell the book you'd change a price you know to be wrong. What if your potential buyer sees it today? But if that'd be too much work then leave it for two more days. Or four, if it's too much work to change it Monday.

It appears he mostly only listens to the stupid advice and largely ignores the good advice. I cannot blame that on a learning disability...I blame that on willful ignorance.

This is exactly what I'm talking about you say something and when I ask because I don't understand you get angry if I knew I wouldn't ask but thanks for the luck.

or

This is where credibility comes into play. First, the grade of the book is either 6.5 OR 7.0 (or another, likely lower grade), it can't be both. You need to learn to grade, so that you can say exactly what grade a given book is in, unless it's a third party graded book. If you're selling a book and you think it grades 6.5 to 7.0, call it a 6.5. Nobody is ever going to complain that you sold them an undergraded book, but if you don't have enough confidence in your grading ability to assign a firm grade to the book, most people won't even bother with you. Also, and if you don't understand anything else, understand this: A collectible, be it a comic book, car, coin or anything else, is worth exactly what someone will pay for it, nothing more. The amount you paid or the price in a price guide means absolutely zero. Let's say you have book "X" that you paid $20.00 for, and the guide value is $75.00. You put it on eBay and it sells for $10.00. What is that book worth? The answer is $10.00, because that was what the high bidder was willing to pay. You need to learn some simple economic lessons or you will never get ahead.

I only take issue with you saying that no one will take him seriously if he calls something a 6.5/7.0, there are several reasons no one would take him seriously and that is not one of them. I see lots of "long time, well respected" boardies do the exact same thing and no one cares.

or

Yeah I said it's exactly the grade I said because it's what the boardies gave it so that was a was sticking with. I see plenty of people assign grades of what they think the comic is even when things are being graded here on the boards. I understand that everything is what someone will pay for it but there's also a market for this that's what I'm getting at. I've read about economics online but I went with the basic stuff

or

I only take issue with you saying that no one will take him seriously if he calls something a 6.5/7.0, there are several reasons no one would take him seriously and that is not one of them. I see lots of "long time, well respected" boardies do the exact same thing and no one cares.

That's what I said to at least for the grading part

This is exactly what I'm talking about you say something and when I ask because I don't understand you get angry if I knew I wouldn't ask but thanks for the luck.

I'm not angry, I just don't care anymore. I'm not rooting for you to fail, but it gets more difficult to root for your success when I see you on great advice given by people who are very successful in the business you want to be in.

I'm not angry, I just don't care anymore. I'm not rooting for you to fail, but it gets more difficult to root for your success when I see you on great advice given by people who are very successful in the business you want to be in.

I apologize I misunderstood it just frustrating when people say they understand but then later on ask me them same questions again.

or

If they price it at 6.0 or below nobody cares.

Edited by mysterio

or

Ok thanks for fixing that and you're right no one is going to point out a underpriced comic because it will cost them money they could have made

Edited by uchiha101

or

Point taken, and I agree with you 100 percent. My point is it goes back to his (lack of) credibility. For most of those other boardies, I have confidence that if they call a book 6.5 to 7.0, it's at least a 6.5, because every book that I have ever bought on these boards has been in at least the condition advertised, if not better. In Gabes case, I have zero confidence that the book would be at least 6.5.

People have sales on the threads here all the time, often at reasonable prices, a million times more reasonable than yours.

But they don't all sell automatically. You need a mix of luck and timing and reputation and selection and and selling practices and pricing and knowing your market, AND PATIENCE. Even then, there are very few sell outs. And you don't have to leave something up forever until it sells.

if you are worried about changing any given post too much, just take it down for a week or two or more and start a new one. People definitely get tired of looking at the same posts.

I see so it's a mix of things but when I posted sales threads people would just nice bomics and then leave.

Haha, your sales thread were a classic. I guess it was only fair that you got the same message that you were leaving on everyone's thread.

or

Point taken, and I agree with you 100 percent. My point is it goes back to his (lack of) credibility. For most of those other boardies, I have confidence that if they call a book 6.5 to 7.0, it's at least a 6.5, because every book that I have ever bought on these boards has been in at least the condition advertised, if not better. In Gabes case, I have zero confidence that the book would be at least 6.5.

My grading isn't that terrible and is this lack of trust because I'm still new to this? Or I haven't given you any reason to trust my grading skills?

For Petes sake, Gabe, for someone who posts as much as you do, you would think your writing skills would improve, if only a little bit. This last post of yours should be three sentences, not one. If you want people to take you seriously, work on developing writing, grammar and comprehension skills that aren't overshadowed by a ten year old.

People have sales on the threads here all the time, often at reasonable prices, a million times more reasonable than yours.

But they don't all sell automatically. You need a mix of luck and timing and reputation and selection and and selling practices and pricing and knowing your market, AND PATIENCE. Even then, there are very few sell outs. And you don't have to leave something up forever until it sells.

if you are worried about changing any given post too much, just take it down for a week or two or more and start a new one. People definitely get tired of looking at the same posts.

I see so it's a mix of things but when I posted sales threads people would just nice bomics and then leave.

Haha, your sales thread were a classic. I guess it was only fair that you got the same message that you were leaving on everyone's thread.

Yeah I suppose but I didn't mean it in a bad way though I think it's cool to see all these awesome comics people have

I apologize I misunderstood it just frustrating when people say they understand but then later on ask me them same questions again.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? :ohnoez:

or

Ok thanks for fixing that and you're right no one is going to point out a underpriced comic because it will cost them money they could have made

That's not what I meant. If the book is priced appropriately relative to the fuzzy grade it works.

They aren't leaving money on the table, they're selling a book. Better to make a $20 sale than get silence at $25. Books are only worth what you can get for them. You hear this a lot.

Edited by mysterio

8 8