• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

That said if people see me change the price down to about 75 bucks won't that lead them to believe they can lowball me?

And you counter-offer, which at least starts a conversation on the book. At the price you're at there is zero chance of that happening.

Or, leave it at the price it is at. Hell, double it to make it even higher. It is only two days, right?

No I won't make it worse then it is but why is two days such a big deal? I don't sell comics that quickly

Then make it four days. Or six. What's the big deal?

Because I only post and bump comics three days in the week and making it any longer then it's supposed to be would be pointless

If you actually wanted to sell the book you'd change a price you know to be wrong. What if your potential buyer sees it today? But if that'd be too much work then leave it for two more days. Or four, if it's too much work to change it Monday.

It appears he mostly only listens to the stupid advice and largely ignores the good advice. I cannot blame that on a learning disability...I blame that on willful ignorance.

What stupid advice did I follow here?

I honestly don't care enough anymore to explain things to you.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about you say something and when I ask because I don't understand you get angry if I knew I wouldn't ask but thanks for the luck.

For Petes sake, Gabe, for someone who posts as much as you do, you would think your writing skills would improve, if only a little bit. This last post of yours should be three sentences, not one. If you want people to take you seriously, work on developing writing, grammar and comprehension skills that aren't overshadowed by a ten year old.

Three sentences? I only see two at most and what does my grammar have to do with how seriously people take me? Because of being professional? I know I'm not the best but I have improved if you haven't noticed. There's more the one reason for sure but the big one was boardies didn't like me saying nice comics.

Edited by uchiha101

That said if people see me change the price down to about 75 bucks won't that lead them to believe they can lowball me?

And you counter-offer, which at least starts a conversation on the book. At the price you're at there is zero chance of that happening.

Or, leave it at the price it is at. Hell, double it to make it even higher. It is only two days, right?

No I won't make it worse then it is but why is two days such a big deal? I don't sell comics that quickly

Because I only post and bump comics three days in the week and making it any longer then it's supposed to be would be pointless

If you actually wanted to sell the book you'd change a price you know to be wrong. What if your potential buyer sees it today? But if that'd be too much work then leave it for two more days. Or four, if it's too much work to change it Monday.

It appears he mostly only listens to the stupid advice and largely ignores the good advice. I cannot blame that on a learning disability...I blame that on willful ignorance.

This is exactly what I'm talking about you say something and when I ask because I don't understand you get angry if I knew I wouldn't ask but thanks for the luck.

For Petes sake, Gabe, for someone who posts as much as you do, you would think your writing skills would improve, if only a little bit. This last post of yours should be three sentences, not one. If you want people to take you seriously, work on developing writing, grammar and comprehension skills that aren't overshadowed by a ten year old.

Three sentences? I only see two at most and what does my grammar have to do with how people take me? I know I'm not the best but I have improved if you haven't noticed. There's more the one reason for sure but the big one was boardies didn't like me saying nice comics.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. You say something, and when I ask because I don't understand you get angry. If I knew, I wouldn't ask; but thanks for the luck

That's one option.

You won't sell them quick because your prices are not in line with what books like that go for. You just don't get it. You're really clueless.

I agree for the most part and some comics I really underpriced and people still didn't ask anything about them and I can't sell them for free

That should tell you one of two things:

1) You're not really underpriced

or

2) You are holding onto comics that are literally worthless, meaning nobody wants them at any price. There are literally thousands of these books out there, it's only logical that you would acquire a few of them in your career as a comic book flipper.

Have you ever heard the saying "There's an for every seat"? Well, forget it, it's not true. There's tons of stuff out there that you can't pay someone to take. You are obviously sitting on some of that stuff, so get rid of it. Give it to the Goodwill, or better yet, give them away to kids (the kid friendly ones anyway). In any event, just get rid of them, if nothing else, you'll free up some space, and you won't be constantly reminded of the mistake you made when you bought them every time you see them.

I agree most of what I have is overpriced junk but I can give a good example

ASM 101 6.5/7.0 for 75 bucks and now one wanted it and I know that's a good price

This is where credibility comes into play. First, the grade of the book is either 6.5 OR 7.0 (or another, likely lower grade), it can't be both. You need to learn to grade, so that you can say exactly what grade a given book is in, unless it's a third party graded book. If you're selling a book and you think it grades 6.5 to 7.0, call it a 6.5. Nobody is ever going to complain that you sold them an undergraded book, but if you don't have enough confidence in your grading ability to assign a firm grade to the book, most people won't even bother with you. Also, and if you don't understand anything else, understand this: A collectible, be it a comic book, car, coin or anything else, is worth exactly what someone will pay for it, nothing more. The amount you paid or the price in a price guide means absolutely zero. Let's say you have book "X" that you paid $20.00 for, and the guide value is $75.00. You put it on eBay and it sells for $10.00. What is that book worth? The answer is $10.00, because that was what the high bidder was willing to pay. You need to learn some simple economic lessons or you will never get ahead.

I only take issue with you saying that no one will take him seriously if he calls something a 6.5/7.0, there are several reasons no one would take him seriously and that is not one of them. I see lots of "long time, well respected" boardies do the exact same thing and no one cares.

Point taken, and I agree with you 100 percent. My point is it goes back to his (lack of) credibility. For most of those other boardies, I have confidence that if they call a book 6.5 to 7.0, it's at least a 6.5, because every book that I have ever bought on these boards has been in at least the condition advertised, if not better. In Gabes case, I have zero confidence that the book would be at least 6.5.

My grading isn't that terrible and is this lack of trust because I'm still new to this? Or I haven't given you any reason to trust my grading skills?

You've been doing this for at least three years, you're not new at it, you're just not good at it. There's a difference. The lack of trust, this entire thread notwithstanding, is when you post books for sale either on eBay or Facebook at drastically over market price, usually with terrible pictures and a substandard description. As an outsider looking in, if I saw those posts, I would think that either you had no idea what you were doing, or you were just trying to screw someone. A good example was your Detective Comics 359 on eBay. I don't remember what you had it priced at, most likely way too high, but your pictures were atrocious. At best, it made you look like you couldn't take a decent photo to save your life and at worst, it looked like you were trying to hide problems with the book. Neither of those is conducive to having serious buyers bid on your books.

Three sentences? I only see two at most and what does my grammar have to do with how people take me? I know I'm not the best but I have improved if you haven't noticed. There's more the one reason for sure but the big one was boardies didn't like me saying nice comics.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. You say something, and when I ask because I don't understand you get angry. If I knew, I wouldn't ask; but thanks for the luck

That's one option.

Bingo! Evidently, we can add "I have problems with counting" to the list of issues that you need to address.

Three sentences? I only see two at most and what does my grammar have to do with how seriously people take me? Because of being professional? I know I'm not the best but I have improved if you haven't noticed. There's more the one reason for sure but the big one was boardies didn't like me saying nice comics.

I think the way people see you is not only through how you conduct yourself but also how you represent yourself. You do not appear to be someone that knows what you're doing. The way you describe yourself and the way you conduct your business is sloppy. You won't be taken seriously unless you clean up your act.

I can't imagine what would happen if Gabe stopped posting

:ohnoez:

That was sarcasm I got it right this time.

Technically, that one shouldn't count. The spinning head emoji was kind of a giveaway. Oh, what the heck, at least your getting better at something. :whistle:

You won't sell them quick because your prices are not in line with what books like that go for. You just don't get it. You're really clueless.

I agree for the most part and some comics I really underpriced and people still didn't ask anything about them and I can't sell them for free

or

2) You are holding onto comics that are literally worthless, meaning nobody wants them at any price. There are literally thousands of these books out there, it's only logical that you would acquire a few of them in your career as a comic book flipper.

Have you ever heard the saying "There's an for every seat"? Well, forget it, it's not true. There's tons of stuff out there that you can't pay someone to take. You are obviously sitting on some of that stuff, so get rid of it. Give it to the Goodwill, or better yet, give them away to kids (the kid friendly ones anyway). In any event, just get rid of them, if nothing else, you'll free up some space, and you won't be constantly reminded of the mistake you made when you bought them every time you see them.

ASM 101 6.5/7.0 for 75 bucks and now one wanted it and I know that's a good price

This is where credibility comes into play. First, the grade of the book is either 6.5 OR 7.0 (or another, likely lower grade), it can't be both. You need to learn to grade, so that you can say exactly what grade a given book is in, unless it's a third party graded book. If you're selling a book and you think it grades 6.5 to 7.0, call it a 6.5. Nobody is ever going to complain that you sold them an undergraded book, but if you don't have enough confidence in your grading ability to assign a firm grade to the book, most people won't even bother with you. Also, and if you don't understand anything else, understand this: A collectible, be it a comic book, car, coin or anything else, is worth exactly what someone will pay for it, nothing more. The amount you paid or the price in a price guide means absolutely zero. Let's say you have book "X" that you paid $20.00 for, and the guide value is $75.00. You put it on eBay and it sells for $10.00. What is that book worth? The answer is $10.00, because that was what the high bidder was willing to pay. You need to learn some simple economic lessons or you will never get ahead.

I only take issue with you saying that no one will take him seriously if he calls something a 6.5/7.0, there are several reasons no one would take him seriously and that is not one of them. I see lots of "long time, well respected" boardies do the exact same thing and no one cares.

Point taken, and I agree with you 100 percent. My point is it goes back to his (lack of) credibility. For most of those other boardies, I have confidence that if they call a book 6.5 to 7.0, it's at least a 6.5, because every book that I have ever bought on these boards has been in at least the condition advertised, if not better. In Gabes case, I have zero confidence that the book would be at least 6.5.

My grading isn't that terrible and is this lack of trust because I'm still new to this? Or I haven't given you any reason to trust my grading skills?

You've been doing this for at least three years, you're not new at it, you're just not good at it. There's a difference. The lack of trust, this entire thread notwithstanding, is when you post books for sale either on eBay or Facebook at drastically over market price, usually with terrible pictures and a substandard description. As an outsider looking in, if I saw those posts, I would think that either you had no idea what you were doing, or you were just trying to screw someone. A good example was your Detective Comics 359 on eBay. I don't remember what you had it priced at, most likely way too high, but your pictures were atrocious. At best, it made you look like you couldn't take a decent photo to save your life and at worst, it looked like you were trying to hide problems with the book. Neither of those is conducive to having serious buyers bid on your books.

Really then how come people say they do this for years and are still considered new? Yeah this thread is one thing and I do overprice but my descriptions are simple because the comics speak for themselves if not I add to it. Yeah for the tec 359 I did eventually fix the pics that I got so people would see the full front and back cover. I also had nothing to hide it's in the description. I have a dd257 cgc 9.8 listed with OBO and it's not going.

Edited by uchiha101

I think the way people see you is not only through how you conduct yourself but also how you represent yourself. You do not appear to be someone that knows what you're doing. The way you describe yourself and the way you conduct your business is sloppy. You won't be taken seriously unless you clean up your act.

I see so what can I do immediately to make people want to buy more?

Lower prices

Good pics and descriptions

Technically, that one shouldn't count. The spinning head emoji was kind of a giveaway. Oh, what the heck, at least your getting better at something. :whistle:

This time it was a couple things. The head spinning, The wording and the fact that she only really comes here to say sarcastic things

This time it was a couple things. The head spinning, The wording and the fact that she only really comes here to say sarcastic things

lol

Lower prices

YES! ... doesn't that seem like common-sense to you?

or

Really then how come people say they do this for years and are still considered new? Yeah this thread is one thing and I do overprice but my descriptions are simple because the comics speak for themselves if not I add to it. Yeah for the tec 359 I did eventually fix the pics that I got so people would see the full front and back cover. I also had nothing to hide it's in the description. I have a dd257 cgc 9.8 listed with OBO and it's not going.

You're missing the point (again). You may have had nothing to hide, but without good photos to prove it, how is a potential buyer to know that? I can SAY that I'm 6 '4, with a full head of hair and built like Vin Diesel, but without good photos, there's no way that you could know that the only part of that statement that's true is that I'm 6'4. On your DD 257, it's CGC graded, so that's not the problem. Why do YOU think it's not selling? Is it overpriced (like most of your other books)? Are your photos substandard? Is your description lacking? Let me clue you in on something that you obviously haven't figured out for yourself. Listing a book for sale with a way too high price and simply including OBO will not usually result in many offers. For one thing, you already told buyers that you're willing to take less, but when I look at books that have too high of a price on them, even if they have a best offer option, I don't even bother. I figure that if the seller slapped that high price tag on the book to begin with, they most likely won't be receptive to a fair market offer, so I don't even bother. Your pricing strategy is doing you way more harm than good.

It's possible the selling mediums you're using aren't great. Here and eBay are enough for most non dealers, with a side of mcs or bigger auction houses for pricier stuff. If they are not enough for you when they are enough for most, you should probably adjust your practices to MAKE THEM enough, unless you have a good reason to use another venue.

Lower prices

Here is an idea...have your friend, who is doing a good job selling his own books, sell your books for you. There is nothing you can do to "immediately" make people want to buy more from you. You should have been on damage control last year when you were making your mistakes and you did not want listen to anyone's advice but your own.

Another member mentioned the garbage you have on your FB page. Maybe you should start cleaning that up first.

Lower prices

YES! ... doesn't that seem like common-sense to you?

That's what I did with some of my listing but they were hit and miss tbh

It's possible the selling mediums you're using aren't great. Here and eBay are enough for most non dealers, with a side of mcs or bigger auction houses for pricier stuff. If they are not enough for you when they are enough for most, you should probably adjust your practices to MAKE THEM enough, unless you have a good reason to use another venue.

I agree with that if you guys can make it work so can I

Lower prices

Here is an idea...have your friend, who is doing a good job selling his own books, sell your books for you. There is nothing you can do to "immediately" make people want to buy more from you. You should have been on damage control last year when you were making your mistakes and you did not want listen to anyone's advice but your own.

Another member mentioned the garbage you have on your FB page. Maybe you should start cleaning that up first.

No I want to sell these comics myself because I know I can do. I would have to look how to get rid of the stuff on fb.

Yeah. Janet, she's a tough one. :whistle:

or

You're missing the point (again). You may have had nothing to hide, but without good photos to prove it, how is a potential buyer to know that? I can SAY that I'm 6 '4, with a full head of hair and built like Vin Diesel, but without good photos, there's no way that you could know that the only part of that statement that's true is that I'm 6'4. On your DD 257, it's CGC graded, so that's not the problem. Why do YOU think it's not selling? Is it overpriced (like most of your other books)? Are your photos substandard? Is your description lacking? Let me clue you in on something that you obviously haven't figured out for yourself. Listing a book for sale with a way too high price and simply including OBO will not usually result in many offers. For one thing, you already told buyers that you're willing to take less, but when I look at books that have too high of a price on them, even if they have a best offer option, I don't even bother. I figure that if the seller slapped that high price tag on the book to begin with, they most likely won't be receptive to a fair market offer, so I don't even bother. Your pricing strategy is doing you way more harm than good.

Oh man I always thought the opposite I thought that if I put a high price but OBO people would be willing to make a offer on the comic. As for the photos they aren't the best but the aren't as bad as the tec 359 used to be.

8 8