• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Inventory Update

Total Comics Bought $11,048.55

Total Comics sold $10,424.16

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Not yet sold: 27

Comics Lost on: 28

Big Comics VS Little Comics Comparison

Little Books

Bought $2455.12+247.01+699.53=$3401.68

Sold $4007.43+1679.24=$5686.67

Losses $1079.43+637.19= $1716.62

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Dear God - your basic book keeping skills are heart breaking. Please explain your math on the little books section. $3,401.68 bought and $5,686.67 sold but you had $1,716.62 in loss but $568.37 in profits???

This is what really matters:

Inventory $1448

If your numbers are correct then it looks like you will be up $823.61 when you sell the rest of your inventory. This is assuming your sold number has subtracted fees and all cost to sell the books.

I'm assuming the inventory number is what he paid for it...who knows what it'll actually sell for.

I think most reasonable people would come to the conclusion that after 3 years and being in the red, that it might not be the best business for them.

:facepalm:

The inventory is not how much I paid for it that's already calculated in how much I bought everything for and everything is starting to finally move forward.

Any idea how much the rest of your books (inventory) will sell for based on previous sales?

About 500-750

Wait, nobody else picked up on the fact that by his own accounting he has $1,448 in inventory that he expects to sell for between $500-750?

He has stated repeatedly that he doesn't even groom himself. The comic mess ups are the least of his problems.

Can that be chalked up to his learning disability and emotional problems too?

I just assume he got scammed on nail clippers.

OK, that made me lol

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Dear God - your basic book keeping skills are heart breaking. Please explain your math on the little books section. $3,401.68 bought and $5,686.67 sold but you had $1,716.62 in loss but $568.37 in profits???

Inventory $1448

If your numbers are correct then it looks like you will be up $823.61 when you sell the rest of your inventory. This is assuming your sold number has subtracted fees and all cost to sell the books.

I'm assuming the inventory number is what he paid for it...who knows what it'll actually sell for.

I think most reasonable people would come to the conclusion that after 3 years and being in the red, that it might not be the best business for them.

The inventory is not how much I paid for it that's already calculated in how much I bought everything for and everything is starting to finally move forward.

Any idea how much the rest of your books (inventory) will sell for based on previous sales?

About 500-750

Wait, nobody else picked up on the fact that by his own accounting he has $1,448 in inventory that he expects to sell for between $500-750?

Who can keep track of it with his odd style of book keeping. Little books, big books...books that end in the letter Y.

(shrug)

I'm still trying to figure out why he's using a different accounting for his little books than he is for his big books.

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

What are all the colored figures in the Little Books section for???????

Nevermind.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

About 500-750

Who can keep track of it with his odd style of book keeping. Little books, big books...books that end in the letter Y.

(shrug)

Imagine if he sold those special Big Little Books. hm

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

About 500-750

I thought he said he has a bunch of $1 books that he was unable to sell. I'm assuming he way over paid of a batch of whole sale $20 a long box type of books and will take a hit when selling. If he has proven he can lose money time after time on key books which should be steady profits if bought correctly I can see how he would lose 50% on harder to gauge low price books.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

About 500-750

I thought he said he has a bunch of $1 books that he was unable to sell. I'm assuming he way over paid of a batch of whole sale $20 a long box type of books and will take a hit when selling. If he has proven he can lose money time after time on key books which should be steady profits if bought correctly I can see how he would lose 50% on harder to gauge low price books.

That's what I'm talking about. No amount of keeping his emotions in check is going to help him with his biggest problem when it comes to flipping comics. He's bad at it.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

About 500-750

(shrug)

Imagine if he sold those special Big Little Books. hm

:o

:ohnoez:

Getting a handle on your emotions and impulses is not suddenly going to upgrade your business acumen.

This is not going to change your inability to barely grasp anything but the simplest aspects of flipping

This is not going to change how it appears you need your hand held virtually every step of the way.

This is not going to change how you ignore most of the good advice given you.

And it's not going to change the fact that you're just plain bad at this.

It won't upgrade my business acumen but I think you're missing the point, the majority of my losses are from my emotions and once I get a handle on it I will be in the green or very close to it that I can promise you and since you like examples I'll give you some

I wouldn't have bought or overpaid for GSX 1 $355

JLA # 1 NG $210

Bat 4 $223

Betty and Veronica 320 $470

Infinity gauntlet's 9.8 x5 and 9.6 x2 $985.60

X-men 266 9.6 graded $337.50

ASM 129 CGC 8.0 $966

Total money saved $3324.10

So when you tell me my control of emotions won't help things I have to say I disagree

I'm missing the point? Seriously?

Yes because you're not taking into account how much of a impact my emotions really have so I gave some example and since you were talking about time and money that would have been almost a 30% roi so 10% a year which is what stock investor usually aim for if not more.

Yes I have. Your emotions don't make you have a bad memory or make you lazy or make you discard expert advice.

But I'm missing the point :facepalm:

Maybe I'm missing it then but I'm just saying that emotions play a big part in what the result over three years has been and I do realize I have multiple issues to deal with.

the more issues you have, the more important it is to plan out your day, so you are ALWAYS doing something productive. Otherwise stuff simply will not get done. Start with that, and stick to it. Even if you need video game time, pencil that in too. BUT stick to the schedule. People have told you this before (I might have). If you don't know where to start, START WITH THIS.

I know writing lists get things done much faster because it pay attention to what's on it

You're right now one is forcing me to buy and sell comics but I want t explain something that may not make sense to you. It wouldn't make sense to stop buying and selling right now because how my emotions work is as follows

1) I see a hot comic or some movie news

2) I miss out on the boat with buying a cheap copy

3) I start to get desperate and this is when my emotions kick in

4) I overpay for a comic because of my emotions

5) I keep doing the same thing because I haven't controlled them

That's why I'm following James advice about the budget because it will help me, that's what a addict says but I'm also fixing this problem and helping me in the long run.

So, in the future, when you miss out on a hot comic rising in price due to movie news you are going to let it slide and move on to the next comic before the price goes up?

Yes because if I learn to control my emotions and impulses I won't be making such huge mistakes as I am now

I've read every post in Gabe's Journal. There's probably been just a handful that make me think: " .. I sincerely hope Gabe takes stock of this great, very well written, concerned advice and acts on it .. "

Revat's 1st most recent post above is one of those posts.

Gabe, please take note.

Revat makes great posts I agree and he always loads them with lots of questions too.

.. but does what Revat write really sink-in? He asks those questions to make you think about your life, decision-making and emotions. He questions you, so you hopefully question yourself.

He does make me think about things and that makes me feel uncomfortable for same reason as if I don't want to know or something.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a handle on emotions, impulses, and other life situations FIRST? So you don't lose money at the same time? And if that does not make sense to you, do you think you're exhibiting symptoms of an addict? And if you are exhibiting symptoms of an addict, shouldn't you seek treatment for that?

Its like those football players (NFL) who keep getting busted for weed use. Yes, plenty of people use marijuana frequently for fun and therapy, and have no problems with it. Many don't get addicted, they function normally, no big deal. But when YOU KNOW you'll lose money and your job if it don't stop and it starts costing you $$ (them millions, you much less) and you STILL won't stop, you're addicted (or insane).

And for someone who already has mental, learning, and emotional problems, with few financial prospects for the future, little education, no financial resources, ANY type of addiction can CRIPPLE you, especially one that can cost you money that you cannot afford to lose. And yes I get that you want to believe that you can control it, that you just need a few big scores to break even, maybe that you can stop whenever you want, you just choose not to. But those are all common things an addict says. Or maybe you think that it's not THAT harmful, nobody else gets hurt but you. Which might be true. And if you accept that, than fine. But if you truly want to improve your lot in life AND get better at dealing comics, you'd be better served improving literally (not figuratively) EVERY OTHER PART OF YOUR LIFE FIRST. Nothing else will change your station, not a few lucky comics scores, not an American election, not your boss offering you 5 more hours a week of work, not meeting the woman (or man) of your dreams, nothing.

You have to want a better life and a you must work five times more than the next guy, which may or may not be fair. But while you're pondering the fairness of the situation or using your limited skills and money to 'gamble' on comics, the guy next to you is studying, doing pushups, and working hard.

How many successful dealers have you talked to find out how they started? Does that even matter to you? Should it? Why or why not?

What work have you done on yourself to make yourself more hirable for a comic book store or dealer? Gotten in better shape? Practiced your sorting speed and skill? Become knowledgeable about comics that might be popular? Can you make and defend recommendations of things to buy or read? Practiced your data entry skills? Studied the price guide? Learned about the key issues for all the major characters? Are you very comfortable with customer service? If someone came in with a short box of bronze or copper comics, how long would it take you to assign a value to the box, what steps would you take?

Howabout running a small business in general? Have you improved your math, business, or excel skills? Can you do profit/loss analysis in your head? Have you improved your memory? Organization skills? Are you detail oriented?

NOTE that not everyone does any or all of these things, but they also don't want what you want (or at least claim to want, sounds like you just want to win lottery after lottery after lottery without putting in the work).

^^^^^ Yep to all of this above and a bag of chips.

Now that you've committed to greatly reducing your comic-expenditures (both in $$ and TIME SPENT), you can focus on improving your people-skills and personal shortcomings that Revat has focused on in his questions.

I'm glad you have committed to reducing your comic-buying, that's a healthy step. Over the next half-year you will have to exhibit emotional control when the "hot deal" pops up begging you to spend triple-digit $$$ on it. DON'T DO IT.

"Hot deals" will come and go forever, there will always be another one coming down the road.

But emotional-control and improving your personal and people-skills is what you need NOW, and it's great that you're openly acknowledging it and starting to work towards it. Great.

NOW is the time to divert all that "search for a hot deal" time and energy and refocus it on YOURSELF, your own personal abilities and employer-desired skills - those that Revat pointed out to you. You can do it now.

Thanks I'll be working on that as well and many of the things that I need to improve on with comics is personal stuff so that will be two birds with one stone. I've been working on finding what I want career wise and I have no clue.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

But even if he gets half he will still be up compared the loss he keeps talking about. But I do agree being up a couple hundred dollars after 3 years and $11,000 in sold books is so low I'd have not thought possible.

I forgot to agree that his book keeping is odd to say the least. If everything works out for him ( and it's safe to say it won't ) he'll have invested 11K to make around $800, not to mention the time invested. I'm no investment guru, but that doesn't seem awesome to me.

No it's no and I've made a lot of mistakes but I am moving forward that's what matters.

I think your definition of moving forward and mine are slightly different.

Yes and no. I'm looking this from a physiological standpoint while you're focusing on time, money and energy spent, maybe it's because you're not me and I know much if affects what I've been doing but trust me there will be a difference when I get a handle on emotions and impulses.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get a handle on emotions, impulses, and other life situations FIRST? So you don't lose money at the same time? And if that does not make sense to you, do you think you're exhibiting symptoms of an addict? And if you are exhibiting symptoms of an addict, shouldn't you seek treatment for that?

Its like those football players (NFL) who keep getting busted for weed use. Yes, plenty of people use marijuana frequently for fun and therapy, and have no problems with it. Many don't get addicted, they function normally, no big deal. But when YOU KNOW you'll lose money and your job if it don't stop and it starts costing you $$ (them millions, you much less) and you STILL won't stop, you're addicted (or insane).

And for someone who already has mental, learning, and emotional problems, with few financial prospects for the future, little education, no financial resources, ANY type of addiction can CRIPPLE you, especially one that can cost you money that you cannot afford to lose. And yes I get that you want to believe that you can control it, that you just need a few big scores to break even, maybe that you can stop whenever you want, you just choose not to. But those are all common things an addict says. Or maybe you think that it's not THAT harmful, nobody else gets hurt but you. Which might be true. And if you accept that, than fine. But if you truly want to improve your lot in life AND get better at dealing comics, you'd be better served improving literally (not figuratively) EVERY OTHER PART OF YOUR LIFE FIRST. Nothing else will change your station, not a few lucky comics scores, not an American election, not your boss offering you 5 more hours a week of work, not meeting the woman (or man) of your dreams, nothing.

You have to want a better life and a you must work five times more than the next guy, which may or may not be fair. But while you're pondering the fairness of the situation or using your limited skills and money to 'gamble' on comics, the guy next to you is studying, doing pushups, and working hard.

How many successful dealers have you talked to find out how they started? Does that even matter to you? Should it? Why or why not?

What work have you done on yourself to make yourself more hirable for a comic book store or dealer? Gotten in better shape? Practiced your sorting speed and skill? Become knowledgeable about comics that might be popular? Can you make and defend recommendations of things to buy or read? Practiced your data entry skills? Studied the price guide? Learned about the key issues for all the major characters? Are you very comfortable with customer service? If someone came in with a short box of bronze or copper comics, how long would it take you to assign a value to the box, what steps would you take?

Howabout running a small business in general? Have you improved your math, business, or excel skills? Can you do profit/loss analysis in your head? Have you improved your memory? Organization skills? Are you detail oriented?

NOTE that not everyone does any or all of these things, but they also don't want what you want (or at least claim to want, sounds like you just want to win lottery after lottery after lottery without putting in the work).

I'll answer this later

let your actions answer it. You don't owe any of us anything, not answers, not improvement, not updates, and certainly not excuses. You have to want it for yourself and do it for yourself.

This feels like a bizarro Good Will Hunting. Nobody here comes back hoping to read that you've bought and sold a million dollar comic, or even a $5K or $1K comic. We hope that one day you post that you're going back to school or have some type of professional apprenticeship, and you start posting less and less over time, to where you don't post at all for a long time. And you come back a year or two later and post that you're about to graduate whatever vocational school you attended, you've got a part time job at a comic store, and you've gotta real entry level job lined up post-graduation that at the very least gives you a chance at a future.

Comics should be fun, they shouldn't be your downfall. And if there's any chance of that (as there is with you), you gotta get out man.

But as stated before, it doesn't matter what everyone else wants for you, only what you truly deep down want for yourself.

A better job and education is something I'm working on and with the comic things I want to prove to those that don't believe I can get out of debt in comics and stay in the red forever. What I don't understand is how people can find their passions so quickly others may die and still not know. How do you find that happy balance?

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

But even if he gets half he will still be up compared the loss he keeps talking about. But I do agree being up a couple hundred dollars after 3 years and $11,000 in sold books is so low I'd have not thought possible.

I forgot to agree that his book keeping is odd to say the least. If everything works out for him ( and it's safe to say it won't ) he'll have invested 11K to make around $800, not to mention the time invested. I'm no investment guru, but that doesn't seem awesome to me.

No it's no and I've made a lot of mistakes but I am moving forward that's what matters.

Yes and no. I'm looking this from a physiological standpoint while you're focusing on time, money and energy spent, maybe it's because you're not me and I know much if affects what I've been doing but trust me there will be a difference when I get a handle on emotions and impulses.

I'll answer this later

let your actions answer it. You don't owe any of us anything, not answers, not improvement, not updates, and certainly not excuses. You have to want it for yourself and do it for yourself.

This feels like a bizarro Good Will Hunting. Nobody here comes back hoping to read that you've bought and sold a million dollar comic, or even a $5K or $1K comic. We hope that one day you post that you're going back to school or have some type of professional apprenticeship, and you start posting less and less over time, to where you don't post at all for a long time. And you come back a year or two later and post that you're about to graduate whatever vocational school you attended, you've got a part time job at a comic store, and you've gotta real entry level job lined up post-graduation that at the very least gives you a chance at a future.

Comics should be fun, they shouldn't be your downfall. And if there's any chance of that (as there is with you), you gotta get out man.

But as stated before, it doesn't matter what everyone else wants for you, only what you truly deep down want for yourself.

Great advice that will fall on deaf ears or possibly paid lip service to.

He doesn't have to change because he lives the life of a high school kid. He's not in a position where one of his screw ups will cause him to not have a roof over his head or wonder where his next meal will come from.

What other rational adult would continue with his comic flipping "business" after showing a loss over 3 years.

You're right I have a roof over my head but I don't comics take up so much of my money that I would lose that and it has been three years but I'm only just now working on my emotions so it will yield results.

Edited by uchiha101

Getting a handle on your emotions and impulses is not suddenly going to upgrade your business acumen.

This is not going to change your inability to barely grasp anything but the simplest aspects of flipping

This is not going to change how it appears you need your hand held virtually every step of the way.

This is not going to change how you ignore most of the good advice given you.

And it's not going to change the fact that you're just plain bad at this.

It won't upgrade my business acumen but I think you're missing the point, the majority of my losses are from my emotions and once I get a handle on it I will be in the green or very close to it that I can promise you and since you like examples I'll give you some

I wouldn't have bought or overpaid for GSX 1 $355

JLA # 1 NG $210

Bat 4 $223

Betty and Veronica 320 $470

Infinity gauntlet's 9.8 x5 and 9.6 x2 $985.60

X-men 266 9.6 graded $337.50

ASM 129 CGC 8.0 $966

Total money saved $3324.10

So when you tell me my control of emotions won't help things I have to say I disagree

I'm missing the point? Seriously?

Yes because you're not taking into account how much of a impact my emotions really have so I gave some example and since you were talking about time and money that would have been almost a 30% roi so 10% a year which is what stock investor usually aim for if not more.

Yes I have. Your emotions don't make you have a bad memory or make you lazy or make you discard expert advice.

But I'm missing the point :facepalm:

Maybe I'm missing it then but I'm just saying that emotions play a big part in what the result over three years has been and I do realize I have multiple issues to deal with.

Clearly you want to buy and sell comics despite an almost unanimous chorus of 'don't do it' from well meaning boardies, and a determined history of issues and mistakes.

So I say do it. Keep a strong grip on your emotions, check your prices and read auction text carefully. Do your best to make good decisions and smart purchases. Borrow money, use your credit card, buy the best books you can, hell make a ton of money and some day buy and sell that million dollar comic.

Inventory Update

Inventory $1448

Loss $624.39

Little Books

Profit $568.37

Big Books

Bought $5329.03

Sold $2340

Losses $2989.03

Inventory $1448

I'll answer this later

A better job and education is something I'm working on and with the comic things I want to prove to those that don't believe I can get out of debt in comics and stay in the red forever. What I don't understand is how people can find their passions so quickly others may die and still not know. How do you find that happy balance?

Oh, I have no doubt you'll be able to do this.

How does a guy, who was previously on government assistance, still live at home and only works 20 or so hours at a minimum wage job even afford, much less have the nerve to spend $11,000 + on comic books?

Something is seriously rotten about that.

Gabe, think of work (as in a job) as profit. How much "profit" would you have, say if you had been working 40 hours a week at a minimum wage job instead of your current 20 hours and not "dealing" in comics? What if you put in that time "dealing" to actually got yourself another 20 hours per week?

I GUARANTEE you would be MUCH further ahead in life.

Let's look at it shall we? These won't be exact but will give you an indication of how much further ahead you really could be if you actually, you know, WORKED an extra 20 hours per week on top of your current measly 20 hours per week.

20 hours per week x 11.25 pay per hour (yes it has not always been $11.25 but let's just use that figure as it was that for the past year and will be moving up to $11.40 on October 1st) = $225 per week. $225 per week x 52 Weeks = $11,700 per year.

$11,700 income x 3 Years = $35,100.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By working three years at an extra 20 hours per week, you would have netted yourself an extra $35,100 (again, not accounting for taxes, missed/sick days, etc., etc., etc.) How does that "stack up" for you? How does an extra $30,000 grand or so measure up against negative $600 or whatever you are at for "dealing" in comics? Even if it was only HALF that amount you would still be LIGHT YEARS ahead of where you are now.

Look at those numbers. Is ANYTHING sinking in????

The numbers sink in but I'm not doing this for a living right now it's something I'm doing on the side, also I'm working with my career guide or whatever he is and it's not working out yet.

8 8