• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

My mom does the laundry now and I've already consulted with a dermatologist but after their consultation they want money which I don't have. For products I've tried at least five or 6 but it seems every product has "Stearic acid"

No money?

A DV 3 CGC 9.8 for 87 bucks

and a IH CGC 5.0 SS for 191 bucks

He sold comics to buy those. Comic money doesn't pay for doctors, silly, only more comics. Comic money doesn't pay back debt either, so rather than use it to fill the hole he'd already dug for himself, he spent it on other stuff.

So the $11 per week budget is for money he earns from his job, but if he sells stuff he can use that money to buy whatever books he can afford. I think I'm finally starting to understand how his mind works hm

That's correct that is how my mind works.

Personally I never liked the $11 budget idea. If you keep making deals like the Hulk #180 I think you'll be well on your way to erasing that hole. I still don't think that Darth Vader #3 was a great deal ( we'll see ), but you need to keep finding these kinds of deals like the #180. Do you ever submit books for slabbing or do you just try to flip already graded books?

The small budget - never a way for him to get out of the hole quick. IMO - it was a great learning tool for him to not chase bigger deals and lay out $$$ and assume more risk.

I would rather have seen him actually stick to the budget for several months - and learn the basics. Would help him a lot with money management on a small scale. Then - increase the budget slowly.

As it stands - he only followed the budget for 2 books - then jumped off of the page and started making "exceptions" to justify his spending.

Hope the IH180 deal does work. Until book is in hand, always a risk given some of his past transactions.

He wasn't/isn't ever going to follow a budget (regardless of the amount). Did anyone really think that was going to be the case?

But he is following it. New money earned from the part time job is only allowed to contribute $11 per week for new stock. If he sells already existing inventory he can use that money to buy what he wants as long as he can afford it. If he somehow loses all that money, he'll have nothing left to spend and will be just using the $11 per week for comics.

Yes 100% yes! you understand what I'm saying.

:acclaim:

Not sure if I should congratulate or pity you. :D

Just think Gabe, if you find and make $125 on a mere 94 more flips this year, that would be the equivalent of working just another 20 hours per week at a minimum wage job for a year.

Sounds completely plausible to me for you.

The point of this right now isn't to have it overtake my job right now but do this as a side thing. Getting out of debt is just one of those steps as well as learning to be more aggressive in my offers and actually understanding the market of the book I'm buying as with the DV 3 CGC 9.8

Well, you didn't know the market of that DV #3, someone told you about it. The jury is still out on that one and don't quote the $90 and $100 sale because it needs to go up a LOT more for it to matter to you.

Yes you have a point but those sales were enough to push the 90 day average from 65 dollar to 74 which is about what I paid for shipping. Also another copy just sold for 110 and I watching the book before I bought it as well, the fact that people are willing to pay over gpa means this news is catching on and people are realizing this. I know my friend is that one that told me about it but I chose to listen to him as well.

What is the minimum price you could sell your DV #3 at and feel happy about it? I'm not saying selling it now either, I mean after any hype hits.

I would content with selling it for 140-150 which isn't too much of a stretch considering what they're going for right now and copies under 110 are being bought quickly.

Is that really worth your time? You paid $87, if it sells for $150 minus whatever fee / shipping your net could be $50 or less. I think unless you're going to start dealing in volume you should avoid books like these...just my opinion.

And yes, I realize at this point any profit is a good profit :)

I hate to encourage Gabe but, if I'm being honest, $40+/- profit on a book you paid under $100 for is really good. I'd do those kind of sales all day long.

Thanks though I should have negotiated a better price

My mom does the laundry now and I've already consulted with a dermatologist but after their consultation they want money which I don't have. For products I've tried at least five or 6 but it seems every product has "Stearic acid"

No money?

A DV 3 CGC 9.8 for 87 bucks

and a IH CGC 5.0 SS for 191 bucks

He sold comics to buy those. Comic money doesn't pay for doctors, silly, only more comics. Comic money doesn't pay back debt either, so rather than use it to fill the hole he'd already dug for himself, he spent it on other stuff.

So the $11 per week budget is for money he earns from his job, but if he sells stuff he can use that money to buy whatever books he can afford. I think I'm finally starting to understand how his mind works hm

That's correct that is how my mind works.

Personally I never liked the $11 budget idea. If you keep making deals like the Hulk #180 I think you'll be well on your way to erasing that hole. I still don't think that Darth Vader #3 was a great deal ( we'll see ), but you need to keep finding these kinds of deals like the #180. Do you ever submit books for slabbing or do you just try to flip already graded books?

The small budget - never a way for him to get out of the hole quick. IMO - it was a great learning tool for him to not chase bigger deals and lay out $$$ and assume more risk.

I would rather have seen him actually stick to the budget for several months - and learn the basics. Would help him a lot with money management on a small scale. Then - increase the budget slowly.

As it stands - he only followed the budget for 2 books - then jumped off of the page and started making "exceptions" to justify his spending.

Hope the IH180 deal does work. Until book is in hand, always a risk given some of his past transactions.

He wasn't/isn't ever going to follow a budget (regardless of the amount). Did anyone really think that was going to be the case?

But he is following it. New money earned from the part time job is only allowed to contribute $11 per week for new stock. If he sells already existing inventory he can use that money to buy what he wants as long as he can afford it. If he somehow loses all that money, he'll have nothing left to spend and will be just using the $11 per week for comics.

Yes 100% yes! you understand what I'm saying.

:acclaim:

Not sure if I should congratulate or pity you. :D

Haha you can do both if you want.

Edited by uchiha101

I started reading this thread from day one. Every time I poke my head in and take a peak. My stomach tightens up and My blood pressure rises.I have read every post. Why do I keep doing this to myself? :pullhair:

Because you just can't look away ;)

Just think Gabe, if you find and make $125 on a mere 94 more flips this year, that would be the equivalent of working just another 20 hours per week at a minimum wage job for a year.

The point of this right now isn't to have it overtake my job right now but do this as a side thing. Getting out of debt is just one of those steps as well as learning to be more aggressive in my offers and actually understanding the market of the book I'm buying as with the DV 3 CGC 9.8

Well, you didn't know the market of that DV #3, someone told you about it. The jury is still out on that one and don't quote the $90 and $100 sale because it needs to go up a LOT more for it to matter to you.

Yes you have a point but those sales were enough to push the 90 day average from 65 dollar to 74 which is about what I paid for shipping. Also another copy just sold for 110 and I watching the book before I bought it as well, the fact that people are willing to pay over gpa means this news is catching on and people are realizing this. I know my friend is that one that told me about it but I chose to listen to him as well.

What is the minimum price you could sell your DV #3 at and feel happy about it? I'm not saying selling it now either, I mean after any hype hits.

I would content with selling it for 140-150 which isn't too much of a stretch considering what they're going for right now and copies under 110 are being bought quickly.

Is that really worth your time? You paid $87, if it sells for $150 minus whatever fee / shipping your net could be $50 or less. I think unless you're going to start dealing in volume you should avoid books like these...just my opinion.

I hate to encourage Gabe but, if I'm being honest, $40+/- profit on a book you paid under $100 for is really good. I'd do those kind of sales all day long.

You could have tried, I suppose. But if you can put it up for $130 and sell it as soon as you receive it, you did pretty well.

However, I have to caution that it's a risky game buying "hot" books to flip. Don't be the last guy holding the potato.

You could have tried, I suppose. But if you can put it up for $130 and sell it as soon as you receive it, you did pretty well.

However, I have to caution that it's a risky game buying "hot" books to flip. Don't be the last guy holding the potato.

I won't be for two reasons. 1) I'm waiting this book like a hawk and it's phases 2) Hype will always catch someone as will greed so I will act as soon as word gets out.

So would I...but how about once every couple of months?

I will get better at doing this

Sure. Anytime you can hit that kind of margin, you've gotta be happy. The more, the merrier (of course), but even one like that is a "win".

Sure. Anytime you can hit that kind of margin, you've gotta be happy. The more, the merrier (of course), but even one like that is a "win".

For sure I can't complain because I'm making a profit.

Turn it over quick. That's how you do it.

Do you still have that Betty & Me 16? I'll Paypal you right now for it.

Turn it over quick. That's how you do it.

Do you still have that Betty & Me 16? I'll Paypal you right now for it.

I don't have it in hand as it's being shipped to me but as soon as I'll have it I'll pm you.

Edited by uchiha101

I like how some are applauding the DV3 purchase that "might" make him money at some point in the future. I don't think being negative by 4 figures should be buying spec books but hey maybe one day Aphra can become the next walking dead...or it can be like 95% of all spec books and crash for years.

I like how some are applauding the DV3 purchase that "might" make him money at some point in the future. I don't think being negative by 4 figures should be buying spec books but hey maybe one day Aphra can become the next walking dead...or it can be like 95% of all spec books and crash for years.

My biggest qualm with the entire thing is the acronym DV as if the Darth Vader comic is a well known established series. :sick:lol

My biggest qualm with the entire thing is the acronym DV as if the Darth Vader comic is a well known established series. :sick:lol

It's easier to say but the series is pretty popular imo.

8 8