• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

My mom does the laundry now and I've already consulted with a dermatologist but after their consultation they want money which I don't have. For products I've tried at least five or 6 but it seems every product has "Stearic acid"

No money?

A DV 3 CGC 9.8 for 87 bucks

and a IH CGC 5.0 SS for 191 bucks

He sold comics to buy those. Comic money doesn't pay for doctors, silly, only more comics. Comic money doesn't pay back debt either, so rather than use it to fill the hole he'd already dug for himself, he spent it on other stuff.

So the $11 per week budget is for money he earns from his job, but if he sells stuff he can use that money to buy whatever books he can afford. I think I'm finally starting to understand how his mind works hm

That's correct that is how my mind works.

Personally I never liked the $11 budget idea. If you keep making deals like the Hulk #180 I think you'll be well on your way to erasing that hole. I still don't think that Darth Vader #3 was a great deal ( we'll see ), but you need to keep finding these kinds of deals like the #180. Do you ever submit books for slabbing or do you just try to flip already graded books?

The small budget - never a way for him to get out of the hole quick. IMO - it was a great learning tool for him to not chase bigger deals and lay out $$$ and assume more risk.

I would rather have seen him actually stick to the budget for several months - and learn the basics. Would help him a lot with money management on a small scale. Then - increase the budget slowly.

As it stands - he only followed the budget for 2 books - then jumped off of the page and started making "exceptions" to justify his spending.

Hope the IH180 deal does work. Until book is in hand, always a risk given some of his past transactions.

He wasn't/isn't ever going to follow a budget (regardless of the amount). Did anyone really think that was going to be the case?

But he is following it. New money earned from the part time job is only allowed to contribute $11 per week for new stock. If he sells already existing inventory he can use that money to buy what he wants as long as he can afford it. If he somehow loses all that money, he'll have nothing left to spend and will be just using the $11 per week for comics.

then that is not really following a budget........

That is him using his free cash flow or his savings to make opportunity buys. This was not budgeted money. It was never stated that he could use savings or incoming cash as part of his budget,. ( I believe - that was like 900 posts ago). The 11 a week was extremely limiting - but he still has yet to show any real self control so it could have been very valuable of a lesson for him.

While some people can handle that (and have flexible budgets). Gabe needs to learn the fundamentals. So far - seems he as not shown consistently that he has learned much of how to own a business.

Sure the IH 180 deal looks good - but until the book is in hand, there is no way to tell if this is a real deal or not-- and he is making other higher value purchases at the same time. Not off the charts high- but I would bet that pretty soon he will drain all of his paypal $$$. Then what happens if he has to process a return? --- dip into savings???

I didn't say I agree 100% with it, I'm just saying I understand it :)

Oh I see but at least you understand that's a good thing

Edited by uchiha101

My mom does the laundry now and I've already consulted with a dermatologist but after their consultation they want money which I don't have. For products I've tried at least five or 6 but it seems every product has "Stearic acid"

No money?

A DV 3 CGC 9.8 for 87 bucks

and a IH CGC 5.0 SS for 191 bucks

He sold comics to buy those. Comic money doesn't pay for doctors, silly, only more comics. Comic money doesn't pay back debt either, so rather than use it to fill the hole he'd already dug for himself, he spent it on other stuff.

So the $11 per week budget is for money he earns from his job, but if he sells stuff he can use that money to buy whatever books he can afford. I think I'm finally starting to understand how his mind works hm

That's correct that is how my mind works.

Personally I never liked the $11 budget idea. If you keep making deals like the Hulk #180 I think you'll be well on your way to erasing that hole. I still don't think that Darth Vader #3 was a great deal ( we'll see ), but you need to keep finding these kinds of deals like the #180. Do you ever submit books for slabbing or do you just try to flip already graded books?

The small budget - never a way for him to get out of the hole quick. IMO - it was a great learning tool for him to not chase bigger deals and lay out $$$ and assume more risk.

I would rather have seen him actually stick to the budget for several months - and learn the basics. Would help him a lot with money management on a small scale. Then - increase the budget slowly.

As it stands - he only followed the budget for 2 books - then jumped off of the page and started making "exceptions" to justify his spending.

Hope the IH180 deal does work. Until book is in hand, always a risk given some of his past transactions.

He wasn't/isn't ever going to follow a budget (regardless of the amount). Did anyone really think that was going to be the case?

But he is following it. New money earned from the part time job is only allowed to contribute $11 per week for new stock. If he sells already existing inventory he can use that money to buy what he wants as long as he can afford it. If he somehow loses all that money, he'll have nothing left to spend and will be just using the $11 per week for comics.

then that is not really following a budget........

That is him using his free cash flow or his savings to make opportunity buys. This was not budgeted money. It was never stated that he could use savings or incoming cash as part of his budget,. ( I believe - that was like 900 posts ago). The 11 a week was extremely limiting - but he still has yet to show any real self control so it could have been very valuable of a lesson for him.

While some people can handle that (and have flexible budgets). Gabe needs to learn the fundamentals. So far - seems he as not shown consistently that he has learned much of how to own a business.

Sure the IH 180 deal looks good - but until the book is in hand, there is no way to tell if this is a real deal or not-- and he is making other higher value purchases at the same time. Not off the charts high- but I would bet that pretty soon he will drain all of his paypal $$$. Then what happens if he has to process a return? --- dip into savings???

To answer your question I hold the money and see if the person is happy before doing anything with it.

Yes and no, I realize that not following the budget isn't teaching me full self control but at the same time if I had only done 11 per week it would take forever to get out of debt is what I'm getting across. It's not the budget that I was set as it has more freedom to what I'm doing now but I can handle it as I am slowly changing.

Yes I broke the 11 a week budget but buying that Hulk 180 is a good start.

How is buying anything reducing debt?

Been away from the boards for a few days..So where are we at? Two steps forward, three steps back?

Budget doesn't exist anymore.

Paying GPA high for a spec.

Still spending triple-digit $$$ on a min-wage PT job.

Can't even cosign himself to showering once a day because cleanliness apparently irritates his skin.

So, yeah.

True story. When I was a Resident Advisor, I had to provide advice for all sorts of common sense stuff, like how to do laundry, where the library was, how to cook (even a can of peas once) and for one individual, tell him he needed to bathe more.

It got so bad, people could not stand to sit in the common TV room with this guy. People would crack the windows in the middle of winter and he would not get the hint. His roommate stopped staying in their room.

I had to have "a talk" with this guy, to tell him he needed to shower every single day. I was later told his shower consisted of him stepping into the shower and getting out with his hair still dry. I then had to explain he needed to WASH and provided him with free soap and shampoo. I also had to teach him how to do laundry as that was part of the problem and get him some laundry soap and fabric softener.

This guy was in his early 20's at the time (as was I). So Gabe, I leave you with this advice:

Shower every freaking day. Don't be the smelly guy in the TV or any room. If you have that much of a problem (which I doubt), see a dermatologist about your skin.

In the meantime, try:

I'll try it but those things are lying most of the time, I used the acne treatment that said the same thing and my skin was red and irritated for three days and I do know how to do the laundry I did it in college.

Do you do your own laundry now or does mommy do it for you?

Did you consult a dermatologist for your skin issue or did you just try one product and give up as per usual?

Why don't you do your own laundry?

If you do actually get severe itching from certain products, like soap, which makes bathing difficult, if you get referred to a dermatologist from your family doctor, that would be covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) so it should be "free".

The product/prescription (if required) they recommend won't be free but depending on OHIP rules for your particular ailment your 'treatment' may or may not be covered, so what did they want money for exactly?

Just imagine if you were working FULL TIME and not dinking around with comics and toys you could afford to take care of yourself.

My mom said that since I'm here it's indifferent to her if she does it or not because she adds it to the pile. My skin doesn't get super bad like you might see on tv but if my skin comes in contact with something that's stronger it will red a burning for a couple days. I didn't know OHIP covers that so I'll try asking again.

If you feel you have non-cosmetic skin issues, book an appointment to see your family doctor or if you don't have one, go to a walk in clinic. Get a referral to an allergist and/or dermatologist. Those visits will be covered by OHIP. If you need a prescription, those won't be fully paid but I mean come on man, sort yourself out before you buy more books.

I'll check out the walk in clinic and see the dermatologist there and see what they say.

Do you not know how the the system works? It is usually only a general practicioner (GP) who works at the walk in, you would see the doctor and they would give you a referral to make the apt to see the dermatologist so that it is covered by OHIP.

Actually the walk in clinic that's near me has a doctor and a dermatologist in the same building so that makes things easier.

Yes, there may be a dermatologist in the building but you still have to see the GP, get the referral and likely have to wait a bit for the actual appointment to see the dermatologist.

They take more then that and I don't like the idea of losing money if I don't have to.

Most. Ironic. Statement. Ever.

If you don't like losing money, stop trying to flip comics. Because that's what you do, lose money.

You are NOT "losing money" you are paying for a service that allows you to conduct online transactions, as they say "the cost of doing business".

Your skin issue can't be THAT bad if you don't want to pay a MINOR administrative fee to maybe get treatment for it.

:facepalm:

Maybe but it's always a fee that you need to add. For my skin it's not as bad as most people's but they play games and make you take lots of sessions which cost 30-60 dollars each, though I'll see if OHIP covers it.

Again with the BS and excuses, why is it that nearly every professional or other person you state that they "play games"?

The only person I see playing a game here and not living in the "real world" is you.

Yes and no, I realize that not following the budget isn't teaching me full self control but at the same time if I had only done 11 per week it would take forever to get out of debt is what I'm getting across. It's not the budget that I was set as it has more freedom to what I'm doing now but I can handle it as I am slowly changing.

Because he can make money with what he sells.

I'm really getting the hang of this :)

:roflmao:

Haha you sure are

Been away from the boards for a few days..So where are we at? Two steps forward, three steps back?

Budget doesn't exist anymore.

Paying GPA high for a spec.

Still spending triple-digit $$$ on a min-wage PT job.

Can't even cosign himself to showering once a day because cleanliness apparently irritates his skin.

So, yeah.

True story. When I was a Resident Advisor, I had to provide advice for all sorts of common sense stuff, like how to do laundry, where the library was, how to cook (even a can of peas once) and for one individual, tell him he needed to bathe more.

It got so bad, people could not stand to sit in the common TV room with this guy. People would crack the windows in the middle of winter and he would not get the hint. His roommate stopped staying in their room.

I had to have "a talk" with this guy, to tell him he needed to shower every single day. I was later told his shower consisted of him stepping into the shower and getting out with his hair still dry. I then had to explain he needed to WASH and provided him with free soap and shampoo. I also had to teach him how to do laundry as that was part of the problem and get him some laundry soap and fabric softener.

This guy was in his early 20's at the time (as was I). So Gabe, I leave you with this advice:

Shower every freaking day. Don't be the smelly guy in the TV or any room. If you have that much of a problem (which I doubt), see a dermatologist about your skin.

In the meantime, try:

I'll try it but those things are lying most of the time, I used the acne treatment that said the same thing and my skin was red and irritated for three days and I do know how to do the laundry I did it in college.

Do you do your own laundry now or does mommy do it for you?

Did you consult a dermatologist for your skin issue or did you just try one product and give up as per usual?

Why don't you do your own laundry?

If you do actually get severe itching from certain products, like soap, which makes bathing difficult, if you get referred to a dermatologist from your family doctor, that would be covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) so it should be "free".

The product/prescription (if required) they recommend won't be free but depending on OHIP rules for your particular ailment your 'treatment' may or may not be covered, so what did they want money for exactly?

Just imagine if you were working FULL TIME and not dinking around with comics and toys you could afford to take care of yourself.

My mom said that since I'm here it's indifferent to her if she does it or not because she adds it to the pile. My skin doesn't get super bad like you might see on tv but if my skin comes in contact with something that's stronger it will red a burning for a couple days. I didn't know OHIP covers that so I'll try asking again.

If you feel you have non-cosmetic skin issues, book an appointment to see your family doctor or if you don't have one, go to a walk in clinic. Get a referral to an allergist and/or dermatologist. Those visits will be covered by OHIP. If you need a prescription, those won't be fully paid but I mean come on man, sort yourself out before you buy more books.

I'll check out the walk in clinic and see the dermatologist there and see what they say.

Do you not know how the the system works? It is usually only a general practicioner (GP) who works at the walk in, you would see the doctor and they would give you a referral to make the apt to see the dermatologist so that it is covered by OHIP.

Actually the walk in clinic that's near me has a doctor and a dermatologist in the same building so that makes things easier.

Yes, there may be a dermatologist in the building but you still have to see the GP, get the referral and likely have to wait a bit for the actual appointment to see the dermatologist.

Yeah I'll make an appointment and see what they say.

Edited by uchiha101

Because if I buy something that I can make a profit on I'll quickly reduce debt as opposed to it taking forever.

They take more then that and I don't like the idea of losing money if I don't have to.

Most. Ironic. Statement. Ever.

If you don't like losing money, stop trying to flip comics. Because that's what you do, lose money.

You are NOT "losing money" you are paying for a service that allows you to conduct online transactions, as they say "the cost of doing business".

Your skin issue can't be THAT bad if you don't want to pay a MINOR administrative fee to maybe get treatment for it.

:facepalm:

Maybe but it's always a fee that you need to add. For my skin it's not as bad as most people's but they play games and make you take lots of sessions which cost 30-60 dollars each, though I'll see if OHIP covers it.

Again with the BS and excuses, why is it that nearly every professional or other person you state that they "play games"?

The only person I see playing a game here and not living in the "real world" is you.

Oh I'm not just saying this, my aunt and cousin had to have over 50 sessions to fix their acne and that's without having and medication added to it and I'm not the only one that notices how many sessions they take and how much they charge. I will check out OHIP though

Because if I buy something that I can make a profit on I'll quickly reduce debt as opposed to it taking forever.

You do realize that if you NEVER purchased a comic book, or a coin to flip, you would be ahead of the game thousands of dollars? If being static is more successful than being dynamic...time to change the way you do things.

You do realize that if you NEVER purchased a comic book, or a coin to flip, you would be ahead of the game thousands of dollars? If being static is more successful than being dynamic...time to change the way you do things.

Yes I do realize that and you may not agree but doing things better is at least being able to get better deals, buy under gpa and have a better understanding of what I buy.

Yes I do realize that and you may not agree but doing things better is at least being able to get better deals, buy under gpa and have a better understanding of what I buy.

But your not doing that.

But your not doing that.

You're right for the DV3 CGC 9.8 I paid over gpa even my friend told me that but I knew that prices would rise, there have also been 2 sales for 100 and 90 dollars. So the market is moving up and again this is before the trailer and announcement.

But your not doing that.

You're right for the DV3 CGC 9.8 I paid over gpa even my friend told me that but I knew that prices would rise, there have also been 2 sales for 100 and 90 dollars. So the market is moving up and again this is before the trailer and announcement.

I wish you the best Gabe...but "I'm out".

But your not doing that.

Don't listen to any of these guys Gabe. Speculate on comics, coins, games, pogs, go for it all. Borrow money, blow by your budget, use credit cards, you gotta spend money to make money.

Just a lurker but saw a comment about your skin problems. Depending on the severity, if severe you can get a low dose of accutane that will work wonders. If not too bad tetracycline is also good.

Both are prescriptions so you need to see a dermatologist. No reason to have some 50 sessions.

FWIW I lived in Vancouver for a few years during my college days, had a student visa from US and was able to just walk into a clinic and get the prescription for tetracycline, I didn't pay a dime for that walk in just for the prescription. This was back in 1993.

Don't put off taking care of your body, these things can spiral out of control if you don't keep on top of it.

Unfortunately, I can see as you get more "deals" it'll improve your confidence which will cause you to be more wreckless with your purchase. You've already seen that with your previous purchases but after a few more good buys and sells you'll be back to thinking yourself as a baller again.

8 8