• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

This type of 3 party presale has potential disaster written all over it, only this time it's not in bright pink crayon; you really have to think about all that could go wrong.

Make certain to hold the sellers money in case of a return. Probably one of the last things you need is negative Ebay feedback and Paypal putting holds on your account.

Ebay has very specific rules when it comes to doing presales. I would brush up on those before ever trying to do this type of sale again.

Also, make certain you put "Stock Photo" for any listing like this in future.

Sold comics

Harambe variant (1 copy)

Price paid (including shipping) and how much you sold it for, accounting for selling fees.

Price Paid $33USD

Total after fees: $111usd

That's a pre-order, correct?

Correct

???

So you're saying that you bought the book on pre-order for $33. Meaning the seller does not have the book. That also means that you do not have the book in hand. Then you sold the book that the original seller does not even have yet to someone else? Is that correct?

So, Original Seller ---> Sold to you for $33 (but does not have the book) --> You (who does not have the book) then sold the book to someone else for $111.

Is that correct?

Almost the seller already has the comics and will ship out around nov 2nd and yes I don't have the comic on hand that's why it's a pre-order. As soon as I get it I will ship it to them should something happen I will give them a refund but the guy that purchased it knows how pre-orders work.

I hope that the person you purchased these 2 from is reputable. :wishluck:

I hope that person finds out about this "Pre-Sale" and undercuts him. Selling the books himself to the buyer. Won't be an issue since they are apparently not even shipping until November 2nd.

I do know this person and this is my first pre-sale I've tried. He said that they will be shipping and everything is still a go. Why are you treating me like I'm a bad guy? Stores do this all the time and I'm happy to try this.

Because you are pre-selling on top of another person's pre-sale. You are not a store. You are not a facilitator. You don't get to do a pre-sale. Why add in extra layers of uncertainty and potential problems. How about selling books you actually have instead of books you bought from someone else that they don't even have yet.

Exactly. Does the buyer that you sold the book to know that you don't even have the book in hand? How do you KNOW what grade the book is actually in? You're grading skills are suspect at best. How do you justify selling a book at a given grade that you not only don't possess, but that you've never even actually seen? Is there no limit to the stupid things that you do? It's not enough that 80% of your flips are losers, but now your flipping books that you DON'T EVEN HAVE! Why don't you try using your head for something other than a handy place to wear a hat, because sooner or later, one of these experiments is going to blow up in your face, and there won't be a sympathetic boardie to bail you out.

For the comic I know they can get damaged so I didn't specify any grade since I'm not sure myself all I told them is as soon as I get it I will ship it to them and before you accuse me of something at least check my listing because nowhere in it did I say it would come back a certain grade.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm SAYING that your selling tactics at best suck and are borderline unethical. Keep it up, and sooner or later you are going to bite off more than you can chew.

Is this type of sale illegal or against eBay's policies? I honestly don't know, but it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me as long as expectations are set and met.

I wouldn't personally do it, but I know a lot of people on these boards who will pre sale slabs they don't have in hand yet. I know that's not the same thing exactly, but it's still selling something you don't have in hand.

If everything works out I'm just glad for him that he made some money off the books.

I've overpaid more than this in the past and yes it's retail but with patience I would have found a buyer you just don't see that.

Again, you do not have the inventory or capital to be buying books that will grow long term or require patience before finding a buyer. You do not want your cash tied up in only a couple of books. You need to get in and get out and move on.

Is this type of sale illegal or against eBay's policies? I honestly don't know, but it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me as long as expectations are set and met.

I wouldn't personally do it, but I know a lot of people on these boards who will pre sale slabs they don't have in hand yet. I know that's not the same thing exactly, but it's still selling something you don't have in hand.

If everything works out I'm just glad for him that he made some money off the books.

Last time I looked the only rules I remember in regards to pre-sales on eBay was that you can only offer them within 30 days of the product's release. Of course this rule is violated all the time and goes ignored unless a listing is reported multuple times.

I've overpaid more than this in the past and yes it's retail but with patience I would have found a buyer you just don't see that.

Again, you do not have the inventory or capital to be buying books that will grow long term or require patience before finding a buyer. You do not want your cash tied up in only a couple of books. You need to get in and get out and move on.

He's been told this repeatedly here and privately. The response is generally akin to him nodding his head in agreement while simultaneously clicking the button on his next "big" deal AKA pink variant ASM's and mid grade restored semi keys.

Frankly it's like dealing with a child who you've told again and again not to touch the hot stove.

This type of 3 party presale has potential disaster written all over it, only this time it's not in bright pink crayon; you really have to think about all that could go wrong.

Make certain to hold the sellers money in case of a return. Probably one of the last things you need is negative Ebay feedback and Paypal putting holds on your account.

Ebay has very specific rules when it comes to doing presales. I would brush up on those before ever trying to do this type of sale again.

Also, make certain you put "Stock Photo" for any listing like this in future.

Yes the listing had stock photo's and I asked ebay if this was ok. I also won't spend any money that they give me because it's not mine.

Sold comics

Harambe variant (1 copy)

Price paid (including shipping) and how much you sold it for, accounting for selling fees.

Price Paid $33USD

Total after fees: $111usd

That's a pre-order, correct?

Correct

???

So you're saying that you bought the book on pre-order for $33. Meaning the seller does not have the book. That also means that you do not have the book in hand. Then you sold the book that the original seller does not even have yet to someone else? Is that correct?

So, Original Seller ---> Sold to you for $33 (but does not have the book) --> You (who does not have the book) then sold the book to someone else for $111.

Is that correct?

Almost the seller already has the comics and will ship out around nov 2nd and yes I don't have the comic on hand that's why it's a pre-order. As soon as I get it I will ship it to them should something happen I will give them a refund but the guy that purchased it knows how pre-orders work.

I hope that the person you purchased these 2 from is reputable. :wishluck:

I hope that person finds out about this "Pre-Sale" and undercuts him. Selling the books himself to the buyer. Won't be an issue since they are apparently not even shipping until November 2nd.

I do know this person and this is my first pre-sale I've tried. He said that they will be shipping and everything is still a go. Why are you treating me like I'm a bad guy? Stores do this all the time and I'm happy to try this.

Because you are pre-selling on top of another person's pre-sale. You are not a store. You are not a facilitator. You don't get to do a pre-sale. Why add in extra layers of uncertainty and potential problems. How about selling books you actually have instead of books you bought from someone else that they don't even have yet.

Exactly. Does the buyer that you sold the book to know that you don't even have the book in hand? How do you KNOW what grade the book is actually in? You're grading skills are suspect at best. How do you justify selling a book at a given grade that you not only don't possess, but that you've never even actually seen? Is there no limit to the stupid things that you do? It's not enough that 80% of your flips are losers, but now your flipping books that you DON'T EVEN HAVE! Why don't you try using your head for something other than a handy place to wear a hat, because sooner or later, one of these experiments is going to blow up in your face, and there won't be a sympathetic boardie to bail you out.

For the comic I know they can get damaged so I didn't specify any grade since I'm not sure myself all I told them is as soon as I get it I will ship it to them and before you accuse me of something at least check my listing because nowhere in it did I say it would come back a certain grade.

I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm SAYING that your selling tactics at best suck and are borderline unethical. Keep it up, and sooner or later you are going to bite off more than you can chew.

I know that there are risks with this.

Edited by uchiha101

I asked ebay if it was ok and they said it was.

I was talking about the asm 101 and I had 38 dollars tied up in that comic.

He's been told this repeatedly here and privately. The response is generally akin to him nodding his head in agreement while simultaneously clicking the button on his next "big" deal AKA pink variant ASM's and mid grade restored semi keys.

Frankly it's like dealing with a child who you've told again and again not to touch the hot stove.

I paid 33 dollars shipped per copy of the harambe variants and the asm 101 was 38 dollars shipped.

Forget about risks for a minute. Did the buyer of the book know that you used a stock photo? If not, do you think maybe you should contact the buyer and ask if he wants to proceed with the sale without seeing the actual book he is buying? If so, let us know his response. If not, why not?

Forget about risks for a minute. Did the buyer of the book know that you used a stock photo? If not, do you think maybe you should contact the buyer and ask if he wants to proceed with the sale without seeing the actual book he is buying? If so, let us know his response. If not, why not?

Yes they are aware it's a stock photo but I haven't asked the second question. I did give him the option of a refund should he not be satisfied.

As long as they say it's OK, I see no problem with it and you made a good deal on this one (thumbs u

As long as they say it's OK, I see no problem with it and you made a good deal on this one (thumbs u

Yeah that listing with the asm 129 got me a warning so this time I asked.

Yes they are aware it's a stock photo but I haven't asked the second question. I did give him the option of a refund should he not be satisfied.

If the buyer knew that it was a stock photo, then no harm, no foul. However, you make it sound like you're going above and beyond by offering a refund if the buyers not happy. You're not. Any buyer on eBay can return anything whether the seller offers/allows refunds or not.

38 dollars that you should have spent on the back issue bins at your lcs. You would have never seen a meaningful return on that ASM 101 book. Whatever profit you envisioned receiving for that book would have been dwarfed by the amount of profit you would have seen by flipping cover price or less books for 15 to 30 dollars in the time it took you to flip that ASM 101.

Patience shouldn't be in your vocabulary right now.

If the buyer knew that it was a stock photo, then no harm, no foul. However, you make it sound like you're going above and beyond by offering a refund if the buyers not happy. You're not. Any buyer on eBay can return anything whether the seller offers/allows refunds or not.

I'm still not sure why that is as people can take advantage of that and I'm not saying I'm going above and beyond I just don't advertise it because people will take advantage of it.

38 dollars that you should have spent on the back issue bins at your lcs. You would have never seen a meaningful return on that ASM 101 book. Whatever profit you envisioned receiving for that book would have been dwarfed by the amount of profit you would have seen by flipping cover price or less books for 15 to 30 dollars in the time it took you to flip that ASM 101.

Patience shouldn't be in your vocabulary right now.

It's not it's a WIP and I do check back issues bins at the lcs's. I also have store credit with one of them.

8 8