• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Perhaps a trade?

I was thinking welding because I don't have a knack for anything else.

With your pleasant demeanor and seemingly endless ability to turn the other cheek, you should give some thought to something in the customer service field. I think that's something you might be very good at. A good personality and a thick skin are traits that are difficult to find in a customer service representative.

As a sales rep? or in general?

Sales rep? Start off small and see how it goes. Work at a Best Buy selling TVs for a bit and keep looking for a better job once you have gotten your feet wet. Don't always look for the instant jump to the big time.

I'll see if I can get a job like that because I could improve on how I sell things.

Perhaps a trade?

With your pleasant demeanor and seemingly endless ability to turn the other cheek, you should give some thought to something in the customer service field. I think that's something you might be very good at. A good personality and a thick skin are traits that are difficult to find in a customer service representative.

Neither one. You know the last time you had to return a pair of shoes at Wal-Mart, or whichever stores you have up there, the person who helped you with your return or exchange was a customer service representative. That's the position you should consider. Forget about any kind of sales right now, you have to learn that you need to learn to walk before you can run.

Perhaps a trade?

Neither one. You know the last time you had to return a pair of shoes at Wal-Mart, or whichever stores you have up there, the person who helped you with your return or exchange was a customer service representative. That's the position you should consider. Forget about any kind of sales right now, you have to learn that you need to learn to walk before you can run.

Ah I had no idea those were customer sales reps.

.......holiday season hiring has just started. Once you settle in, I urge you to fire out as many resumes as you can.

Plus 1!!!!

I have worked in retail sales for 30 years, and I can tell you one thing with 100 percent certainty: Businesses are hiring holiday help like crazy right now as they gear up for Christmas. If you can't find a job at this time of year, don't kid yourself, you are either not trying hard enough or you don't want one bad enough. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is really no nice way to put that.

.......holiday season hiring has just started. Once you settle in, I urge you to fire out as many resumes as you can.

Plus 1!!!!

I have worked in retail sales for 30 years, and I can tell you one thing with 100 percent certainty: Businesses are hiring holiday help like crazy right now as they gear up for Christmas. If you can't find a job at this time of year, don't kid yourself, you are either not trying hard enough or you don't want one bad enough. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is really no nice way to put that.

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough but it's depressing to give out 100 resumes with no results.

It may not be PC but I'd also take a look into how you present yourself. If you drop off the resume looking like some who will flake on them they will not give you a call back. Get a hair cut - wear a polo and jeans - make a good impression.

It may not be PC but I'd also take a look into how you present yourself. If you drop off the resume looking like some who will flake on them they will not give you a call back. Get a hair cut - wear a polo and jeans - make a good impression.

I totally agree with this. While employees aren't supposed to discriminate when hiring, you represent their brand and if you come in looking unkempt then you'll have a hard time convincing them they should hire you.

Other than college recruitment, I haven't received an unsolicited resume in quite some time. Maybe you should consider looking to see if the place you are applying to has an online application process. Dropping off a resume doesn't do much good if they only take applications on line. That could probably explain why you haven't received a call back.

Resumes for low-grade jobs - over 100 sent out and no reply?

Go to the store and speak to the manager directly.

I'd wager that's it's got a lot to do with you moving around all over the place every few months.

People won't hire if you have a history of no job for years and frequent moves. makes them sound like a loan defaulter tbh. I'm sure you aren't but it doesn't look good.

As the others have said - everyone who wants to work will find a job.

Is there any reason at all that instead of sitting on your computer writing this journal, that you aren't walking into every fast-food joint and supermarket and asking to see the manager for work?

A couple of friends moved to Washington (she was headhunted so got a visa) but his skill was not recognised.

As soon as he has permission to work,it took him 2 days to get a job in Walmart shelf-stacking. Granted the pay is poor, but it's a start, and boy, could you do with some sort of work history and a reference right now.

I'm sorry, but you just don't give out any sort of vibe that you are remotely interested in knuckling down and finding a job.

I think jcjames had a great point. If $100-200 a month is around what you realistically hope to clear in profit, there may be easier ways than high-wire consignments or trying to deal with piles of long boxes.

As an example, there are certain in-demand GA, SA and BA raw books I look out for all the time. If I see something like an underpriced Batman 227 or a Hero for Hire 1 on ebay or a dealer site, I'll pick it up, with an eye towards potentially reselling either right away or months down the road.

It's not high finance... I'm talking reselling a $20 book for $40, or a $40 book for $80, etc, and you have to resist the urge to jump on every semi-deal. But done consistently and carefully, buying and selling a book or two each week, it can indeed add up to that $100-200 a month figure.

Disclaimers as always... You have to know the market well and be on top of trends so you're not getting stuck with lukewarm books... and you really, REALLY have to know grading.

Yep. Exactly.

If you have the time to put in the legwork - there is a lot of gold in them-thar hills! Find the honeypots, drill them till they're dry and move on.

I don't know about the location he is in, but in my area, I run a regular weekly circuit of used book stores, antique stores, LCSs (I'm too lazy to get up at the crack of dawn for yard sales) etc digging for gold - like just yesterday I picked up a NM 4th ed. Killing Joke for $1, and the week before that a YTheLastMan1 and Runaways1 for under $2 each and before that I found a Five Ghosts1 for $2, all NM 1st prints. There is gold out there if you do the digging!

Cranking $1-$3 books into $5, $10, $20 or more sales is a low-risk, low-cost (but high legwork) way to make a few hundred a month. But if you also happen ENJOY it, then the money is like gravy!

:cool:

These are some really good points and advice. What I have found that works for me is to do both books that are valued at $10+ for quick turn over high profits and having 20+ long boxes to take to small shows that cost me $25-35 a table to make $300-500 every 2-4 months.

I'd wager that's it's got a lot to do with you moving around all over the place every few months.

People won't hire if you have a history of no job for years and frequent moves. makes them sound like a loan defaulter tbh. I'm sure you aren't but it doesn't look good.

Is there any reason at all that instead of sitting on your computer writing this journal, that you aren't walking into every fast-food joint and supermarket and asking to see the manager for work?

A couple of friends moved to Washington (she was headhunted so got a visa) but his skill was not recognised.

As soon as he has permission to work,it took him 2 days to get a job in Walmart shelf-stacking. Granted the pay is poor, but it's a start, and boy, could you do with some sort of work history and a reference right now.

I'm sorry, but you just don't give out any sort of vibe that you are remotely interested in knuckling down and finding a job.

Great points.

After High School, I walked into a Sizzler Steak House and talked with the manager and started as a bus boy/dishwasher. I worked hard and kept my area clean. The supervisor over the kitchen saw how hard of a worker I was and got me to being a cook. I was the opening cook for them. I eventually became the meat cutter and did prep work. At one time, I was working for them four days a week and three days a week at a great Mexican restaurant as a prep cook. With all of this experience I worked for a little while for an expensive restaurant on the waterfront call C.I. Shenanigans. I became a really great cook for some great restaurants buy starting out as a busboy/dishwasher and an eagerness to succeed.

I also worked at Albertsons grocery making donuts as at the same time working for Safeway where I was promoted twice in two months.

After I got burned out of cooking I applied at Serta West (mattresses) and started on the bottom bagging the mattresses, Got promoted to a few more positions to where I was making twice what I started out and was almost promoted to a supervisor position before I injured myself to not being able to do physical labor.

I then applied for a sale position and a desk job selling soccer equipment throughout the US. I started on bottom and was promoted quickly for entry level to Senior Sales exec.

Each time started at bottom by getting my foot in the door and took my jobs very seriously and got promoted quickly. You have to start from somewhere.

Ask a boardie in the business field to PM you if they are willing to review your resume. 100 submissions at an entry level without a response may indicate a flaw in the resume.

Thanks I'm not sure who that be but I'll pm them when I find them.

I got a haircut not too long ago and I show up with a hoodie and black pants when I apply.

I totally agree with this. While employees aren't supposed to discriminate when hiring, you represent their brand and if you come in looking unkempt then you'll have a hard time convincing them they should hire you.

Other than college recruitment, I haven't received an unsolicited resume in quite some time. Maybe you should consider looking to see if the place you are applying to has an online application process. Dropping off a resume doesn't do much good if they only take applications on line. That could probably explain why you haven't received a call back.

Thanks most of the places that I apply have online application that you can fill out.

Thanks I'll start speaking to managers because I always just hand in my resume to the people at the front desk or cashiers and I was a shelf stocker too before I was a dishwasher.

I think jcjames had a great point. If $100-200 a month is around what you realistically hope to clear in profit, there may be easier ways than high-wire consignments or trying to deal with piles of long boxes.

As an example, there are certain in-demand GA, SA and BA raw books I look out for all the time. If I see something like an underpriced Batman 227 or a Hero for Hire 1 on ebay or a dealer site, I'll pick it up, with an eye towards potentially reselling either right away or months down the road.

It's not high finance... I'm talking reselling a $20 book for $40, or a $40 book for $80, etc, and you have to resist the urge to jump on every semi-deal. But done consistently and carefully, buying and selling a book or two each week, it can indeed add up to that $100-200 a month figure.

Disclaimers as always... You have to know the market well and be on top of trends so you're not getting stuck with lukewarm books... and you really, REALLY have to know grading.

Yep. Exactly.

If you have the time to put in the legwork - there is a lot of gold in them-thar hills! Find the honeypots, drill them till they're dry and move on.

I don't know about the location he is in, but in my area, I run a regular weekly circuit of used book stores, antique stores, LCSs (I'm too lazy to get up at the crack of dawn for yard sales) etc digging for gold - like just yesterday I picked up a NM 4th ed. Killing Joke for $1, and the week before that a YTheLastMan1 and Runaways1 for under $2 each and before that I found a Five Ghosts1 for $2, all NM 1st prints. There is gold out there if you do the digging!

Cranking $1-$3 books into $5, $10, $20 or more sales is a low-risk, low-cost (but high legwork) way to make a few hundred a month. But if you also happen ENJOY it, then the money is like gravy!

:cool:

These are some really good points and advice. What I have found that works for me is to do both books that are valued at $10+ for quick turn over high profits and having 20+ long boxes to take to small shows that cost me $25-35 a table to make $300-500 every 2-4 months.

That sounds like the perfect start for me.

Great points.

After High School, I walked into a Sizzler Steak House and talked with the manager and started as a bus boy/dishwasher. I worked hard and kept my area clean. The supervisor over the kitchen saw how hard of a worker I was and got me to being a cook. I was the opening cook for them. I eventually became the meat cutter and did prep work. At one time, I was working for them four days a week and three days a week at a great Mexican restaurant as a prep cook. With all of this experience I worked for a little while for an expensive restaurant on the waterfront call C.I. Shenanigans. I became a really great cook for some great restaurants buy starting out as a busboy/dishwasher and an eagerness to succeed.

I also worked at Albertsons grocery making donuts as at the same time working for Safeway where I was promoted twice in two months.

After I got burned out of cooking I applied at Serta West (mattresses) and started on the bottom bagging the mattresses, Got promoted to a few more positions to where I was making twice what I started out and was almost promoted to a supervisor position before I injured myself to not being able to do physical labor.

I then applied for a sale position and a desk job selling soccer equipment throughout the US. I started on bottom and was promoted quickly for entry level to Senior Sales exec.

Each time started at bottom by getting my foot in the door and took my jobs very seriously and got promoted quickly. You have to start from somewhere.

I liked how you summarized what you did on each job. When I worked as a dishwasher I worked hard at it too, covered people's shifts and they wanted me to become a cook and I turned it down more than once because I felt I wouldn't be able to handle it.

8 8