• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

They said that they want me to become independent instead of relying on them.

interesting...I would LOVE for one of (or all) my kids to want to work for/with me...if you are "working" for them, you are earning money they would otherwise pay someone else...doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know...every family is different (shrug)

Honestly, I think it is usually healthier for the kids to strike out on their own. How can a child ever really consider themselves an independent adult if their employment still depends on their parents? How can they have any confidence that they are actually good enough to get a job on their own?

Nepotism leads to a lot of ugly situations.

Gabe is clearly an entry level type employee by his own admission. If his parents have that type business , then it would seem to make sense in this case. Obviously I concur that nepotism that results in a position unwarranted is likely not wise, but I doubt that applies here.

And in my case I have 3 oldest that are headed to being a vet, nurse and surgeon, so clearly they don't want to sell comics and that makes me sad. Maybe my son will :wishluck:

Gator I'm sure my parents would make me find a job elsewhere they have however in the past told me I can work for them but only when they get the start up for it.

Gabes an awesome guy.Never really gets upset or worked up,always answers everyones posts.

Id have out with him anytime.

Aww thanks :foryou: I do my best it's always nice to see a variety of opinions based on one question or experience but like I said to have me work with you you'd need a special type of patience.

Edited by uchiha101

Im patient,but no job to offer,sorry bud.but anytime youre in Ottawa,lmk and we can chill out and talk comics,play vids,whatever!

And no folks,im not some creep! :makepoint:

haha well I like comics and vids we should meet up sometime and maybe hunt around for collections? :)

Im patient,but no job to offer,sorry bud.but anytime youre in Ottawa,lmk and we can chill out and talk comics,play vids,whatever!

And no folks,im not some creep! :makepoint:

haha well I like comics and vids we should meet up sometime and maybe hunt around for collections? :)

Sounds like a plan!

interesting...I would LOVE for one of (or all) my kids to want to work for/with me...if you are "working" for them, you are earning money they would otherwise pay someone else...doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know...every family is different (shrug)

Honestly, I think it is usually healthier for the kids to strike out on their own. How can a child ever really consider themselves an independent adult if their employment still depends on their parents? How can they have any confidence that they are actually good enough to get a job on their own?

Gabe is clearly an entry level type employee by his own admission. If his parents have that type business , then it would seem to make sense in this case. Obviously I concur that nepotism that results in a position unwarranted is likely not wise, but I doubt that applies here.

And in my case I have 3 oldest that are headed to being a vet, nurse and surgeon, so clearly they don't want to sell comics and that makes me sad. Maybe my son will :wishluck:

There's no reason they can't sell a few on the side. :)

I'm a lawyer and I enjoy buying a collection here and there.

There's no reason they can't sell a few on the side. :)

I'm a lawyer and I enjoy buying a collection here and there.

I'm only assuming this but they either don't have time or don't have a interest in it.

Trade update

I'm trading my x-men 266 cgc 9.6 and flash 139 3.0/3.5 for his asm 40 8.0/8.5 and ba12 9.0 raw and also he's throwing a messi card and two silver age spideys.

Why wouldn't you just sell the 266 instead of trading it?

It's a liquid book. I think you'd have been better off just throwing it into the next Comiclink auction than messing around with these trades. Every trade you go through puts you at risk of misgrading a raw book or missing restoration.

I also think you should avoid trading until you are more experienced. Trading is an activity that tends to benefit the person more informed about the market and grading.

This isn't anything you haven't heard before though.

After the last trade fiasco, you think you would have learned a little...

As Hamlet said, UXM #266 CGC 9.6 should be an EASY sell. Same with the Flash...Or pretty easy at least.

If the idea is to MAKE MONEY and TURN OVER your books why dink around hoping to come up a few bucks on top? You have more time invested in these books now and more $$$ as I am assuming you pay for shipping your books to the other trader yes? Are you going to pay and wait to get another BA #12 graded too? Again, what if the BA #12 you get is not a 9.0 - Remember how you felt last time you felt led astray with a traders grades?

Again, nothing new here...

Trade update

I'm trading my x-men 266 cgc 9.6 and flash 139 3.0/3.5 for his asm 40 8.0/8.5 and ba12 9.0 raw and also he's throwing a messi card and two silver age spideys.

Why wouldn't you just sell the 266 instead of trading it?

It's a liquid book. I think you'd have been better off just throwing it into the next Comiclink auction than messing around with these trades. Every trade you go through puts you at risk of misgrading a raw book or missing restoration.

I also think you should avoid trading until you are more experienced. Trading is an activity that tends to benefit the person more informed about the market and grading.

This isn't anything you haven't heard before though.

I would sell it but the opportunity for a trade came up and I have done well with trades but I do agree I have lots of room for improvement. I've checked the market before I agreed to the deal and he's shown me scans of the comics and I agree with the grades.

After the last trade fiasco, you think you would have learned a little...

As Hamlet said, UXM #266 CGC 9.6 should be an EASY sell. Same with the Flash...Or pretty easy at least.

If the idea is to MAKE MONEY and TURN OVER your books why dink around hoping to come up a few bucks on top? You have more time invested in these books now and more $$$ as I am assuming you pay for shipping your books to the other trader yes? Are you going to pay and wait to get another BA #12 graded too? Again, what if the BA #12 you get is not a 9.0 - Remember how you felt last time you felt led astray with a traders grades?

Again, nothing new here...

The x-men 266 cgc 9.6 is a easy sell but it's not at the fmv I want it to be so I'm trading it away. Also I've already done all the math with the comics and I soon as I get them they're traded away. Yes I do pay shipping and that's already calculated. I'm not going to get this ba12 graded and I've already seen scans of the comics and that last trade was a complete mess.

Trade update

Assuming everything is on the up and up it's a solid trade for you.

Xmen266 = $190

Flash = $235 (avg of 280 and 190)

Total = $425

ASM40 = $350 (avg of 450 and 250)

BA12 = $510

Total = $860

No idea why someone would trade you more than twice the value of your books. Hopefully he's not doing anything shady.

8 8