• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

.. hang on a minute .. I think everyone (including Gabe) is missing the elephant in the room...

Gabe, ..... you said you weren't going to do any more deals until 2017????(tsk)

.. what are you doing? You say you listen to everyones advice .. and then do the opposite :facepalm:

Every person here is trying to help you. Please take some sound advice.

Gabe is NEVER going to quit "dealing" in comics. This one good deal (thanks to a very kind buyer who could have easily taken him for a ride) is only going to further reinforce in his mind that he is "good" at this.

He has admitted earlier in the thread to basically being unmotivated, doesn't want to "put up with any mess" and I can imagine being difficult to deal with. He lacks of clear vision or path towards his future and would rather entertain "kewl" stuff like selling comics, video games and voice acting.

.. hang on a minute .. I think everyone (including Gabe) is missing the elephant in the room...

.. what are you doing? You say you listen to everyones advice .. and then do the opposite :facepalm:

Gabe is NEVER going to quit "dealing" in comics. This one good deal (thanks to a very kind buyer who could have easily taken him for a ride) is only going to further reinforce in his mind that he is "good" at this.

He has admitted earlier in the thread to basically being unmotivated, doesn't want to "put up with any mess" and I can imagine being difficult to deal with. He lacks of clear vision or path towards his future and would rather entertain "kewl" stuff like selling comics, video games and voice acting.

:idea::idea::idea:

Congratulations on earning a very generous finders fee from a fellow boardie! :cool:

I'm stunned that the JLA thing worked out that way. Kudos! What book(s) are you going to get with the $700?

Hmm I'm thinking of a TOS 39 coverless because I think I just scouted another deal.

Coverless books are some of the MOST DIFFICULT to flip. There is a very small number of people that would have any interest in a coverless book. How long did it take you to sell your Action 15? Please take the $700 and put it in your bank account.

Now DO THIS ^^^^^^^

Until you get 3 months of living expenses saved up in a bank account, you should not be "investing" this kind of money in rolling "hot deals".

You need to build up your savings cushion FIRST. Once you got 3 months of living expenses saved - THEN you can start playing/investing in comics (but still, I would advise against doing big deals period.)

I do have at least three months living expenses saved up.

Living with your parents is not what I mean regardless of whether you pay them "rent" or not.

When you have left your parents home and are fully supporting yourself AND have at least a 3-month savings that you never touch, THEN you might want to dabble in flipping $10-$20 comics for profit while still learning the business which takes years (but still avoiding books that cost more than a full week or more of your wages to buy).

Better to start investing in self-improvement, job-training, soft-skills, communication skills, etc. Now that you have a job - get better at it if you want to keep it or.... work on getting a better job.

Bottomline - You're gambling, and you hit nicely on one THIS time (with the help of a VERY generous boardie). That only reinforced your addiction.

02/19/16:

I've given up trading till 2017...

In the end, I have little faith in you though because as another member pointed out - you talk, talk, talk and never hold yourself to your word. Your word is meaningless now.

You're ignorant about credit card addictions and are falling RIGHT into their traps because.... "they kept bugging me". Bullshot! You want EASY money and credit cards offer yet another way for you to buy that you can't afford because if you CAN afford it - you wouldn't need to use the card.

You WILL end up with a rolling credit card balance that swallow you up for the next few years and keep you in poverty.

You're dirt poor and don't care because you haven't grown up yet.

You're a man-child living with your parents making promises that you don't keep and who can't make it on his own.

Yet you think you should be spending more money than you earn in a week on comic "deals" over and over again. You got lucky and were bailed out by a fellow-boardie who fueled your addiction at a time when you said you wouldn't be doing this anymore.

You.

Got.

Lucky.

But you're not grown up enough to even recognize that. So... off you go again to buy high-dollar garbage coverless books when you still can't even support yourself on your own.

I was going to sit this thread out but I figure I'd chime in because I bought the book from Gabe.

Hope that clears things up.

DUDE! WTH?

Going back on this thread, YOU were telling Gabe to quit doing big trades and big-dollar deals... and yet you are now ENCOURAGING him by enabling him with basically free money to fuel his addiction!!

Where did vvvvvvv THIS vvvvvvv guy go?

02/05/16

You seem to keep skipping over one very obvious piece of advice everyone is giving you.

Will you state that you will stop all trades? Make it a New Year's resolution. No trades until 2017.

Are you willing to commit to that?

That's where the problem lies if I don't trade I either have to sell for a loss or wait till it reaches a price where I can make a profit on it.

Sell for a loss man. Get cash back and just be sure you're buying books you can profit on with the cash you got back. You can't move forward unless you accept the loss and move on. Everyone loses on something. Being stubborn in this situation is only hurting you further.

Here's my advice:

1) Throw every book up for auction. Start and end it on a Sunday.

2) use that cash and go hit your local stores and buy books that your local shops have priced too low. Not every sale has to be a home run. Go in the local shop, find some books priced at $20-$50 Cdn and see if you can sell them for $20-50 in US dollars. Say for instance you find a DC comics presents 26 for $50 Cdn in your shop. Buying it for $50 in Canadian and selling it for $50 usd will make you - $50usd x 1.40 = $70cdn. You've made $20 on one book by taking advantage of the weak Cdn dollar. Do that a few times over.

You're like a classic enabler - you gave him solid advice back then, but then later came back and now basically just reinforced his bad behavior of seeking out high-dollar "deals".

:facepalm:

I was going to sit this thread out but I figure I'd chime in because I bought the book from Gabe.

DUDE! WTH?

Going back on this thread, YOU were telling Gabe to quit doing big trades and big-dollar deals... and yet you are now ENCOURAGING him by enabling him with basically free money to fuel his addiction!!

02/05/16

You seem to keep skipping over one very obvious piece of advice everyone is giving you.

Will you state that you will stop all trades? Make it a New Year's resolution. No trades until 2017.

That's where the problem lies if I don't trade I either have to sell for a loss or wait till it reaches a price where I can make a profit on it.

Sell for a loss man. Get cash back and just be sure you're buying books you can profit on with the cash you got back. You can't move forward unless you accept the loss and move on. Everyone loses on something. Being stubborn in this situation is only hurting you further.

Here's my advice:

2) use that cash and go hit your local stores and buy books that your local shops have priced too low. Not every sale has to be a home run. Go in the local shop, find some books priced at $20-$50 Cdn and see if you can sell them for $20-50 in US dollars. Say for instance you find a DC comics presents 26 for $50 Cdn in your shop. Buying it for $50 in Canadian and selling it for $50 usd will make you - $50usd x 1.40 = $70cdn. You've made $20 on one book by taking advantage of the weak Cdn dollar. Do that a few times over.

You're like a classic enabler - you gave him solid advice back then, but then later came back and now basically just reinforced his bad behavior of seeking out high-dollar "deals".

To be fair, I don't think I'd want to be stuck in some sort of quagmire deal with the OP. At the beginning I might want to help him a bit and split ownership, but there's too many things that might go awry and I can understand reconsidering. I'd rather him or me own the book completely. And since the OP didn't have the money to own the book completely, that leaves just me. And since I'm the one who wants to change the terms, I should compensate the OP for the changes. And we both get a deal out of it.

But the OP isn't his responsibility, he's an adult who is most likely probably maybe legally competent

[

To be fair, I don't think I'd want to be stuck in some sort of quagmire deal with the OP. At the beginning I might want to help him a bit and split ownership, but there's too many things that might go awry and I can understand reconsidering. I'd rather him or me own the book completely. And since the OP didn't have the money to own the book completely, that leaves just me. And since I'm the one who wants to change the terms, I should compensate the OP for the changes. And we both get a deal out of it.

But the OP isn't his responsibility, he's an adult who is most likely probably maybe legally competent

Just pointing out that even flashattack was excoriating Gabe earlier this year for doing high-dollar "deals" and was telling him NOT go after big deals anymore.

And then he turns around and encourages him (or uses him, not sure) and perpetuates the OP's desire to "score big" by basically giving him $700 "finders fee" which is extremely generous - but so is giving $700 to a gambling addict.

[

Just pointing out that even flashattack was excoriating Gabe earlier this year for doing high-dollar "deals" and was telling him NOT go after big deals anymore.

And then he turns around and encourages him (or uses him, not sure) and perpetuates the OP's desire to "score big" by basically giving him $700 "finders fee" which is extremely generous - but so is giving $700 to a gambling addict.

no I'm with you, I just don't think that was his intention to begin with. But once he was in it, thought "Hmmm, maybe not the best idea to be in an ongoing joint investor, what's the fairest way out of this 'joint investment'?' I guess I'll just buy him out and pay him for his trouble and for modifying the deal." Yes the result appears to be enabling, but I think the initial intent was just to be help someone help themselves (even if some observers might not have agreed with it).

DUDE! WTH?

02/05/16

Here's my advice:

Great tone pal. I think you need to sit back and relax. This allowed me to get one of my favorite silver age keys for a great price and you expect me to pass on that? It also allows me to sell my high grade copy and fund other life items as well as go toward a cheaper book. Oh and it happened to help Gabe financially! Remarkable little deal hey? I'm not responsible for Gabe, he came to me with the book. I didn't ask him. I gave him excellent points for purchasing and selling to ensure he isn't scammed. If he doesn't learn from the past or take note of what I showed him, that's not on me. But in case you want to huff and puff over the keyboard again, I'll simplify it:

I wanted the book. So I bought the book. Gabe had access to the book.

[

no I'm with you, I just don't think that was his intention to begin with. But once he was in it, thought "Hmmm, maybe not the best idea to be in an ongoing joint investor, what's the fairest way out of this 'joint investment'?' I guess I'll just buy him out and pay him for his trouble and for modifying the deal." Yes the result appears to be enabling, but I think the initial intent was just to be help someone help themselves (even if some observers might not have agreed with it).

Gabe approached me with the plan. I Was never "into it". As soon as he showed me the book and told me his plan, I said I wanted it for my collection and came up with a way for us both to come away happy. And we did.

I'm stunned that the JLA thing worked out that way. Kudos! What book(s) are you going to get with the $700?

Hmm I'm thinking of a TOS 39 coverless because I think I just scouted another deal.

Coverless books are some of the MOST DIFFICULT to flip. There is a very small number of people that would have any interest in a coverless book. How long did it take you to sell your Action 15? Please take the $700 and put it in your bank account.

lol OP is not interested in advice, he is going to do what he wants. I doubt he'll post failures...

Failures? I've posted all of them here like I said before I have nothing to hide.

You sure don't

No that was about trading comics because I kept failing at it.

Yes and no I'm still deciding what to do and yes I don't have a vision or clear path yet but I don't do something because it's" cool" I do it because I like it and makes money.

lol OP is not interested in advice, he is going to do what he wants. I doubt he'll post failures...

Failures? I've posted all of them here like I said before I have nothing to hide.

You sure don't

What haven't I posted?

Congratulations on earning a very generous finders fee from a fellow boardie! :cool:

Now DO THIS ^^^^^^^

Until you get 3 months of living expenses saved up in a bank account, you should not be "investing" this kind of money in rolling "hot deals".

You need to build up your savings cushion FIRST. Once you got 3 months of living expenses saved - THEN you can start playing/investing in comics (but still, I would advise against doing big deals period.)

I do have at least three months living expenses saved up.

Living with your parents is not what I mean regardless of whether you pay them "rent" or not.

When you have left your parents home and are fully supporting yourself AND have at least a 3-month savings that you never touch, THEN you might want to dabble in flipping $10-$20 comics for profit while still learning the business which takes years (but still avoiding books that cost more than a full week or more of your wages to buy).

Better to start investing in self-improvement, job-training, soft-skills, communication skills, etc. Now that you have a job - get better at it if you want to keep it or.... work on getting a better job.

Bottomline - You're gambling, and you hit nicely on one THIS time (with the help of a VERY generous boardie). That only reinforced your addiction.

02/19/16:

I've given up trading till 2017...

In the end, I have little faith in you though because as another member pointed out - you talk, talk, talk and never hold yourself to your word. Your word is meaningless now.

You're ignorant about credit card addictions and are falling RIGHT into their traps because.... "they kept bugging me". Bullshot! You want EASY money and credit cards offer yet another way for you to buy that you can't afford because if you CAN afford it - you wouldn't need to use the card.

You WILL end up with a rolling credit card balance that swallow you up for the next few years and keep you in poverty.

You're dirt poor and don't care because you haven't grown up yet.

You're a man-child living with your parents making promises that you don't keep and who can't make it on his own.

Yet you think you should be spending more money than you earn in a week on comic "deals" over and over again. You got lucky and were bailed out by a fellow-boardie who fueled your addiction at a time when you said you wouldn't be doing this anymore.

You.

Got.

Lucky.

But you're not grown up enough to even recognize that. So... off you go again to buy high-dollar garbage coverless books when you still can't even support yourself on your own.

Yes and that traded I haven't traded anything yet. I won't lie it's definitely a confidence booster but at the same time it's not like I'm learning at all. No I'm still working on leaving my parents and can't fully support myself yet but as I said before if something costs over what I want to get it for I won't buy it.

DUDE! WTH?

02/05/16

Here's my advice:

I'll be honest with you James you're frustrating me calling the money "free" I worked for my part of the deal and yes it was with no cost to me but I did put in effort to get the finders fee and make sure everything went as smoothly as I could make it.

8 8