• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

That would be correct but the reason why I'm in debt isn't because I bought comics it's because I've been scammed 3 times. ASM 129 will be a quick seller so I'm not worried and already have two people interested.

Man, I think it is way past time for you give this up. You need to stop buying comics and sell everything you have. Give up this foolish dream and focus on your life and getting it straightened out. This is more advice you won't listen to like the other that has come before it but it is time to grow up.

I'm working on selling what I have but I'm learning from my mistakes but it takes longer then most people don't worry you'll soon see.

...I'm slowly getting better at making deals and my comic debt is going down only 1100 more to go.

Recent Purchases

Man thing 2

Marvel Premiere 1

ASM 129 CGC 8.5

Are you saying that you're currently in debt $1,100 from buying comics, and on top of that, you've now bought these?

[/quote/]

That would be correct but the reason why I'm in debt isn't because I bought comics it's because I've been scammed 3 times. ASM 129 will be a quick seller so I'm not worried and already have two people interested.

:facepalm:

the fact that you cannot see the connection here is probably the source of a lot of the boards frustrations -

You were scammed because you made bad choices trying to deal in comic books. Unless you change - you will get scammed again.

EDIT BELOW ( cuz Logan makes a great point)

Until you are working at least 30 hours a week at a job, have a plan in place for a full time career, have moved out, and have 6 months of "living expense" savings (not used for comics) -you should not be buying anything.

Once you have real life sorted out - then and only then should you think about getting back into comics - then start small by working on collection deals and with $10-$20 dollar comics. This actually has a decent return if you work hard - and you also learn a lot of the details needed - and also you limit how much risk you take.

I know what you mean and I like how you set it out, I do need more hours and have 6 months money in advance but I don't know what I want as a career. As for buying small I'm beginning to do that both in video games and comics. I made 5-10 dollars profit on small games and yes there's less risk if you do it that way.

...I'm slowly getting better at making deals and my comic debt is going down only 1100 more to go.

Recent Purchases

Man thing 2

Marvel Premiere 1

ASM 129 CGC 8.5

Are you saying that you're currently in debt $1,100 from buying comics, and on top of that, you've now bought these?

[/quote/]

:facepalm:

the fact that you cannot see the connection here is probably the source of a lot of the boards frustrations -

You were scammed because you made bad choices trying to deal in comic books. Unless you change - you will get scammed again.

You should be working on collection deals and with $10-$20 dollar comics. This actually has a decent return if you work hard - and you also learn a lot of the details needed - and also you limit how much risk you take.

No offense to you but this is bad advice IMHO. He needs to get his act together and learn to put on his big boy pants before he does any "wheeling and dealing" with comics books.

I admit I've made mistakes but I've learned from them slowly.

Edited by uchiha101

Man, I think it is way past time for you give this up. You need to stop buying comics and sell everything you have. Give up this foolish dream and focus on your life and getting it straightened out. This is more advice you won't listen to like the other that has come before it but it is time to grow up.

This is great advice that the OP will, as usual, completely ignore. Gabe reminds me of my next door neighbors. They are in their 60s and have 3 kids. Two of those are grown, with families, careers and HOMES of their own. The third? You guessed it, a slightly older version of Gabe. He is 35 years old and lives in his parents basement. I don't know if he's ever been on his own, but he's been living there for the 8 years since his parents moved in. He's a nice guy, but he'd be just as nice if he wasn't approaching middle age and still mooching off of his parents. He has a job, but he's perfectly okay with his mom and dad, who are already past retirement age, not only still working, but working harder and longer to support HIM. Does this sound like anyone the readers of this thread are familiar with? Now I know that if Gabe even responds to this, it will be with one of his canned statements of how his situation isn't his fault, no one will hire him for a better, or even a full time job and how he intends to move out on his own eventually. Lip service is cheap, and I believe what I see once I reach my limit of hearing someone say one thing and then do something completely different, and I reached that point with Gabe about 2 years ago. The only way Gabe will ever change is if his parents get tired of supporting him and toss him out. When and if that ever happens, he'll find out in a hurry that there is no such thing as PayPal money or living money or whatever adjective he wants to use to describe funds that he spends on expensive comics that should be spent on supporting himself. Like another boardie pointed out, there is only money, and there won't be any left over for any non-essentials if he ever does have to truly support himself. I'm sure that like my neighbor, Gabe is not a bad guy, but for crying out loud, he is in his mid 20s, living in his parents basement AND spending $1000.00 at a clip on comic books, while at the same time not even working full time at a minimum wage job. On what planet does that even begin to make sense? The only difference that I can see between Gabe and my neighbors son, besides Gabe being 10 years or so younger, is my neighbors kid spends his "extra" money on weed and Gabe spends his ( or someone's) on comic books. I'll go out on a limb and say that if this thread is still around ten years from now, Gabe will be in exactly the same place, saying and doing exactly the same things. Why? Because he doesn't want to change or to improve his situation, at least not enough to work for it, and flipping comics, in Gabes case, is not working for it. When you have been doing something for 2 and 1/2 years and still are in the red, you are not successful at it, but when your parents are still supporting you, you can continue to "invest" in comics and then make excuses like "I've been scammed 3 times" when things don't turn out the way you want them to. If Gabe ever has to live in the real world, with a full time job that has to support him, he is in for a rude awakening, and it's called REAL LIFE.

You're right I won't stop buying comics unless something drastic happens. My situation isn't the best and yes I can't fully support myself yet but I'm working on that. That's one of the things that scares me is that fact that there aren't too many jobs here that offer lots of hours unless it's office like jobs.

This is great advice that the OP will, as usual, completely ignore. Gabe reminds me of my next door neighbors. They are in their 60s and have 3 kids. Two of those are grown, with families, careers and HOMES of their own. The third? You guessed it, a slightly older version of Gabe. He is 35 years old and lives in his parents basement. I don't know if he's ever been on his own, but he's been living there for the 8 years since his parents moved in. He's a nice guy, but he'd be just as nice if he wasn't approaching middle age and still mooching off of his parents. He has a job, but he's perfectly okay with his mom and dad, who are already past retirement age, not only still working, but working harder and longer to support HIM. Does this sound like anyone the readers of this thread are familiar with? Now I know that if Gabe even responds to this, it will be with one of his canned statements of how his situation isn't his fault, no one will hire him for a better, or even a full time job and how he intends to move out on his own eventually. Lip service is cheap, and I believe what I see once I reach my limit of hearing someone say one thing and then do something completely different, and I reached that point with Gabe about 2 years ago. The only way Gabe will ever change is if his parents get tired of supporting him and toss him out. When and if that ever happens, he'll find out in a hurry that there is no such thing as PayPal money or living money or whatever adjective he wants to use to describe funds that he spends on expensive comics that should be spent on supporting himself. Like another boardie pointed out, there is only money, and there won't be any left over for any non-essentials if he ever does have to truly support himself. I'm sure that like my neighbor, Gabe is not a bad guy, but for crying out loud, he is in his mid 20s, living in his parents basement AND spending $1000.00 at a clip on comic books, while at the same time not even working full time at a minimum wage job. On what planet does that even begin to make sense? The only difference that I can see between Gabe and my neighbors son, besides Gabe being 10 years or so younger, is my neighbors kid spends his "extra" money on weed and Gabe spends his ( or someone's) on comic books. I'll go out on a limb and say that if this thread is still around ten years from now, Gabe will be in exactly the same place, saying and doing exactly the same things. Why? Because he doesn't want to change or to improve his situation, at least not enough to work for it, and flipping comics, in Gabes case, is not working for it. When you have been doing something for 2 and 1/2 years and still are in the red, you are not successful at it, but when your parents are still supporting you, you can continue to "invest" in comics and then make excuses like "I've been scammed 3 times" when things don't turn out the way you want them to. If Gabe ever has to live in the real world, with a full time job that has to support him, he is in for a rude awakening, and it's called REAL LIFE.

I joined this site on 10/29/2011. At that time I was 26 and working 40 hours a week at a grocery store making minimum wage. I had just got that job after being unemployed for 6 months after losing my job, a great job, after making some bad decisions. I jumped on here to start collecting CGC Deadpool comics because I learned about the character and read some raw books that I borrowed from a friend and enjoyed the character.

I made a thread asking for people with Deadpool 9.8 books to PM me. Well, after getting the prices of said books I knew there was no way I could make said purchases with what I was making I decided to not even start and to come back after I had a job that could support the hobby.

Fast forward to January of this year. I'm now working at one of the best jobs in my area, I've had it for four years now, making double the minimum wage I was making, getting well over 40 hours per week, and finally making good money. More importantly, making money to get into the hobby. I asked a friend about good reads and he let me borrow his TPB of Saga and I was hooked. Now I'm buying 9.8s of Saga like crazy and looking to build my collection, when surgery and medical bills aren't getting in the way. lol

Gabe, you really need to listen to the advice in here. Stop buying and trading. Sell, sell, sell. Don't worry about flipping. Heck, you don't even need to sell what you have, just stop buying. Sit on them if you must and pick up where you left off in a year, two, or never. You must get your life and yourself straight before you pick collecting and flipping back up. If you don't you will be stuck where you are for the rest of your life. Break the cycle of your family. You and only you can make the choices to do that.

I think I joined this site about 3 years ago. I don't remember what my first thread was but I do know I had a lot more spending money. If you don't mind me asking what is your job?

My short term goals are pretty simple

Get a job with more hours

Sell of my comics

Decide or at least have a idea of what I want as a career

I do like how you worded that last paragraph I have the power of choice to end this cycle. That makes me feel good.

I think I joined this site about 3 years ago. I don't remember what my first thread was but I do know I had a lot more spending money. If you don't mind me asking what is your job?

My short term goals are pretty simple

Get a job with more hours

Sell of my comics

Decide or at least have a idea of what I want as a career

I do like how you worded that last paragraph I have the power of choice to end this cycle. That makes me feel good.

I work as a courier, the company term is a Field Services Technician, for a water testing lab. I drive around the Eastern and Northern part of Kentucky, going to different drinking water plants and waste water plants that contract us out to do their testing.

My job consists of

driving, driving and more driving. I drive around 8 hours every day just for the job. My travel time to and from work is about an hour round trip so I get around 9 hours window time every day. I take empty bottles for the testing, coolers, bags of ice, pH, chlorine, and dissolved oxygen meters and of course paper work with me.

Some places are simple. I pull in, take paperwork for the location and bottles to replace theirs that have sample in them and just exchange them out. I take their full bottles and filled out paperwork, note my arrival time and vehicle mileage, and put the sample bottles in a specified cooler, put ice on them and drive to my next place. Some place is just exchanging bottles and papers like that.

Some I actually have to collect the sample, which isn't bad, can be smelly though. I might have to fill up all their bottles at the designated sampling sites, which may be by a river or down some steps near a stream but nothing real strenuous. It is a very easy job and anyone can do it. I work for the largest lab in my state so the pay is very good, for the area I live in anyway.

Those are real good goals to have, Gabe, they really are. You also need to add

Don't buy anymore comics for flipping, no matter the cost

Don't buy anymore games for flipping, no matter the cost

You DO have the power to end the cycle but the way you are going you won't. People here are trying to direct you towards ending it but you keep veering yourself around and around in the cycle. Don't buy stuff to flip. No matter if it is $1, don't look for deals, focus all that deal searching on getting a better paying job and helping yourself. Following this hope, the purpose that you created this thread for, isn't what you need to do.

This thread isn't about buying and selling a million dollar comic anymore. It is about setting you on the path of success in life.

I'm working on selling what I have but I'm learning from my mistakes but it takes longer then most people don't worry you'll soon see.

Gabe,I do admire your determination but do be careful as many on here have advised!

So he "made" $700 on a recent sale and has multiple buyers for a book he just picked up. He is probably making more money flipping books than he is working a regular job. I get what everyone is telling him but why would Gabe stop doing that if he thinks he is making money off the books he buys?

Because after almost 3 years of buying and selling books he is still $1100 in the hole!

He is spending countless hours that could be better spent looking for jobs or getting job training.

And because he is still taking on risky non-traditional methods of buying and selling despite being "scammed" 3 times in his brief time buying and selling.

But other than that everything is going great. (shrug)

So he "made" $700 on a recent sale and has multiple buyers for a book he just picked up. He is probably making more money flipping books than he is working a regular job. I get what everyone is telling him but why would Gabe stop doing that if he thinks he is making money off the books he buys?

He's not making money at all, he's still in the red. At the very best he may be climbing a small bit out of the hole he dug himself, but I highly doubt this trend is likely to continue based on his track record. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage him. 2c

Well ... this is a new development.

Yes and no the three scams are from 2 years ago, and the last one is from about 8 months ago.

Gabe, a scam is a scam is a scam .. it doesn't matter how many times in what time-period. You haven't developed the skills to see a problem approaching.

Have you heard of the saying: " .. once bitten, twice shy .. "? You've been 'bitten' by being scammed once .. did you stop for a minute and think " .. that didn't work for me .. I best not do that again .. "? .. Evidently: No .. because it happened again .. and again.

None of us are being mean to you, and we all realise you have a learning disability, but .. surely there must come a time when you think to yourself " .. this isn't working .. my life could be sooo much better. Perhaps I should set this aside for a while until I get my life in a better position to support my hobby .. "? (and it isn't a job for you, Gabe; it's a HOBBY).

Please, man .. stop .. wake-up .. and please don't provide some BS excuse about " .. yes, I know; but I'm learning etc etc etc etc etc etc etc .. ".

Updates

Comics Sold

Detective comics 359

ASM 129

I've spoken to the owner of a lcs and he is interested in it and it would be great since it would cut out fees and shipping all together.

You should go with the direct to consumer approach. Why don't you list it here first, if it does not sell then move to the bay. Even with potential fees and shipping you will certainly make out better than what a brick and mortar will give you.

He's not making money at all, he's still in the red. At the very best he may be climbing a small bit out of the hole he dug himself, but I highly doubt this trend is likely to continue based on his track record. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage him. 2c

I think the encouragement he is getting is from the sales he is making. As long as he keeps selling, and making a profit, i don't think he'll stop. There are too many buyers that are enabling him. Having just one or two buyer complete a sale is probably enough to get him to think he is on the right track.

I've read about as much of this thread as I could before my eyes fell out.

This whole thing is rather pointless. From what I gather the OP is living at home, in his mid 20's. Kind of working? Disability? What is the rent? Car payment at all? Utilities? Food?

Unless you are paying those things, you will not hold my interest in your quest on your "Road To Success", because quite frankly, you are currently ignoring the game called life. I would love to not pay the aforementioned expenses, and just sink money into funny books, but that isn't any of our reality, and if it's yours, you are not on the same playing field with everyone else.

Call this tough love, but I could be less than interested in your Road, because it sounds like a one way street.

Edited by Mercury Man

I've read about as much of this thread as I could before my eyes fell out.

This whole thing is rather pointless. From what I gather the OP is living at home, in his mid 20's. Kind of working? Disability? What is the rent? Car payment at all? Utilities? Food?

Unless you are paying those things, you will not hold my interest in your quest on your "Road To Success", because quite frankly, you are currently ignoring the game called life. I would love to not pay the aforementioned expenses, and just sink money into funny books, but that isn't any of our reality, and if it's yours, you are not on the same playing field with everyone else.

Call this tough love, but I could be less than interested in your Road, because it sounds like a one way street.

Going the wrong way unfortunately.

If you're $1100 in the hole after 3 years of flipping, you're doing it wrong.

I think the encouragement he is getting is from the sales he is making. As long as he keeps selling, and making a profit, i don't think he'll stop. There are too many buyers that are enabling him. Having just one or two buyer complete a sale is probably enough to get him to think he is on the right track.

Fair enough, you make a good point. Like someone else said, it's like an addict being enabled.

8 8