• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I've read about as much of this thread as I could before my eyes fell out.

This whole thing is rather pointless. From what I gather the OP is living at home, in his mid 20's. Kind of working? Disability? What is the rent? Car payment at all? Utilities? Food?

Unless you are paying those things, you will not hold my interest in your quest on your "Road To Success", because quite frankly, you are currently ignoring the game called life. I would love to not pay the aforementioned expenses, and just sink money into funny books, but that isn't any of our reality, and if it's yours, you are not on the same playing field with everyone else.

Call this tough love, but I could be less than interested in your Road, because it sounds like a one way street.

Learning disability, working 20-25 hours a week and the rent is 600 a month.

$600 a month isn`t too bad for rent.

One thing you have in your favor is you have no children,mortgage and wife to account for.

You are young and have time.

I say continue to do what you are doing. Don`t give up your dreams.

Yes,It`s not going as you have planned,but with failure you are learning about business.

Many successful people failed hundreds of times.

What sets them apart is they did not give up.

With great advice like that, maybe he'll finally be in the black in another 3 years.

I myself am consistently surprised at the deals Gabe uncovers. Whether or not he should pursue any or all of those deals is another matter entirely but he seems to be a real bloodhound when it comes to finding comics.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while

...Especially when they only work 20-25 hours a week and LOTS of free time to troll the internet because they don't have any real responsibility or motivation to get out on their own...

I myself am consistently surprised at the deals Gabe uncovers. Whether or not he should pursue any or all of those deals is another matter entirely but he seems to be a real bloodhound when it comes to finding comics.

...Especially when they only work 20-25 hours a week and LOTS of free time to troll the internet because they don't have any real responsibility or motivation to get out on their own...

Not to mention that he's $1100 in the hole after doing this for 3 years.

People should continue to encourage him...just not to buy and sell comic books.

If he has a passion for it and it's not dangerous, illegal or immoral, why not follow your passion?

HOWEVER.... it should be done with a reasonable budget, like maybe the $2-$20 books for a few years so he can learn the business without putting so much of his wealth at risk in big 4-figure high-$$$ "deals". Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $10 books is a learning experience. Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $1,000 books can (and clearly HAS) taken years to get past.

If he can't restrain himself to a few small-dollar, under-$20 books at a time for a couple years while he builds his savings, increases his job/people-skills and becomes fully self-supporting - he should NOT be even thinking about books that cost more than he makes even in a single day of work, let alone over a month's rent. THAT'S where I think he is right now - it's like an obsession or addiction to get that "big win". He has to quit that cold-turkey.

He should follow his comic passion - but he must FIRST learn how to budget and START and STAY SMALL (no more that $20/week deals) for a few years while he learns the business and starts focusing FAR more of his time on improving his job/people skills and fully supporting himself on his own.

2c

If he has a passion for it and it's not dangerous, illegal or immoral, why not follow your passion?

HOWEVER.... it should be done with a reasonable budget, like maybe the $2-$20 books for a few years so he can learn the business without putting so much of his wealth at risk in big 4-figure high-$$$ "deals". Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $10 books is a learning experience. Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $1,000 books can (and clearly HAS) taken years to get past.

If he can't restrain himself to a few small-dollar, under-$20 books at a time for a couple years while he builds his savings, increases his job/people-skills and becomes fully self-supporting - he should NOT be even thinking about books that cost more than he makes even in a single day of work, let alone over a month's rent. THAT'S where I think he is right now - it's like an obsession or addiction to get that "big win". He has to quit that cold-turkey.

He should follow his comic passion - but he must FIRST learn how to budget and START and STAY SMALL (no more that $20/week deals) for a few years while he learns the business and starts focusing FAR more of his time on fully supporting himself on his own.

2c

Because he's obviously bad at it and cannot support himself. I appreciate what you're saying but he needs to stay away from what is LOSING him money right now and focus on EARNING money.

He should follow his comic passion - but he must FIRST learn how to budget and START and STAY SMALL (no more that $20/week deals) for a few years while he learns the business and starts focusing FAR more of his time on fully supporting himself on his own.

2c

Because he's obviously bad at it and cannot support himself. I appreciate what you're saying but he needs to stay away from what is LOSING him money right now and focus on EARNING money.

I can absolutely appreciate and agree with that.

You and I pretty much agree he needs 98-100% focus on saving, improving his job/people skills and maybe even getting a second part-time job so he can become fully self-supporting.

If he only makes $200/week, then $2-$4/week on comics that he quickly flips for $8-$12 will at least keep him learning. But no more than that. Pocket change, not hundred or thousand-dollar "deals".

Gabe have you ever looked at the numbers...and I mean all of the numbers. You have a distinct disadvantage against many sellers for 2 reasons.

Currency changes - You bought the ASM at a dollar rate of 1.313 or 1255.23 CDN (+ likely a few more points for the exchange if/when you convert it back to CDN...So it likely cost you around $1280 CDN. That means for you to break even if you sold the book today you must sell it for already almost 4% higher than you paid, + the 3.9% paypal fee + shipping just as a ballpark figure in order for you to make anything you must sell the book for $1063. Now you have to add a few bucks for packing, gas and time. So do you think you can sell the book for $1100 and be content making $30 after all the time you've invested??? Of course its possible to sell it for $1100 but that ISN"T the point I'm making.

Canadian seller = higher shipping, less eyes/buyers as they don't want to buy from an international seller if possible.

This whole thing is rather pointless. From what I gather the OP is living at home, in his mid 20's. Kind of working? Disability? What is the rent? Car payment at all? Utilities? Food?

Unless you are paying those things, you will not hold my interest in your quest on your "Road To Success", because quite frankly, you are currently ignoring the game called life. I would love to not pay the aforementioned expenses, and just sink money into funny books, but that isn't any of our reality, and if it's yours, you are not on the same playing field with everyone else.

Call this tough love, but I could be less than interested in your Road, because it sounds like a one way street.

Well...I will admit, I don't know how to flip comics. I could learn to do it, but I honestly feel that for me, it's too much headache without much payout.

Now if I go to my brother in law's and pick up a shovel, he would pay me thousands a week to work with him. Not much learning there, but so much more rewarding, in the short term. Plus it keeps me in shape.

Just kinda sucks he lives 3 hours drive away lol But it's nice to know I have options.

Gabe, what are your options? Do you have any?

My options? I'm not sure about that to be honest

Gabe have you ever looked at the numbers...and I mean all of the numbers. You have a distinct disadvantage against many sellers for 2 reasons.

Currency changes - You bought the ASM at a dollar rate of 1.313 or 1255.23 CDN (+ likely a few more points for the exchange if/when you convert it back to CDN...So it likely cost you around $1280 CDN. That means for you to break even if you sold the book today you must sell it for already almost 4% higher than you paid, + the 3.9% paypal fee + shipping just as a ballpark figure in order for you to make anything you must sell the book for $1063. Now you have to add a few bucks for packing, gas and time. So do you think you can sell the book for $1100 and be content making $30 after all the time you've invested??? Of course its possible to sell it for $1100 but that ISN"T the point I'm making.

Canadian seller = higher shipping, less eyes/buyers as they don't want to buy from an international seller if possible.

I've brought this up before

More thAn once. It made about as much impact as you would expect

One thing you have in your favor is you have no children,mortgage and wife to account for.

Yes,It`s not going as you have planned,but with failure you are learning about business.

Thanks that's another reason why I do this I gave up too quickly on other things

I think I joined this site about 3 years ago. I don't remember what my first thread was but I do know I had a lot more spending money. If you don't mind me asking what is your job?

My short term goals are pretty simple

Get a job with more hours

Sell of my comics

Decide or at least have a idea of what I want as a career

I do like how you worded that last paragraph I have the power of choice to end this cycle. That makes me feel good.

I work as a courier, the company term is a Field Services Technician, for a water testing lab. I drive around the Eastern and Northern part of Kentucky, going to different drinking water plants and waste water plants that contract us out to do their testing.

My job consists of

driving, driving and more driving. I drive around 8 hours every day just for the job. My travel time to and from work is about an hour round trip so I get around 9 hours window time every day. I take empty bottles for the testing, coolers, bags of ice, pH, chlorine, and dissolved oxygen meters and of course paper work with me.

Some places are simple. I pull in, take paperwork for the location and bottles to replace theirs that have sample in them and just exchange them out. I take their full bottles and filled out paperwork, note my arrival time and vehicle mileage, and put the sample bottles in a specified cooler, put ice on them and drive to my next place. Some place is just exchanging bottles and papers like that.

Some I actually have to collect the sample, which isn't bad, can be smelly though. I might have to fill up all their bottles at the designated sampling sites, which may be by a river or down some steps near a stream but nothing real strenuous. It is a very easy job and anyone can do it. I work for the largest lab in my state so the pay is very good, for the area I live in anyway.

Those are real good goals to have, Gabe, they really are. You also need to add

Don't buy anymore comics for flipping, no matter the cost

Don't buy anymore games for flipping, no matter the cost

You DO have the power to end the cycle but the way you are going you won't. People here are trying to direct you towards ending it but you keep veering yourself around and around in the cycle. Don't buy stuff to flip. No matter if it is $1, don't look for deals, focus all that deal searching on getting a better paying job and helping yourself. Following this hope, the purpose that you created this thread for, isn't what you need to do.

This thread isn't about buying and selling a million dollar comic anymore. It is about setting you on the path of success in life.

Those are big things to think about and I don't know my path yet and equally important is proving to myself that I can succeed at something with effort.

Yes, proving to yourself that you can succeed at something is good but you are going about it wrong. Succeeding at life is FAR more important than flipping comics and games. You need to work your way up to a good job and get a place of your own first. Those things are way more important even if you don't think they are. Getting a job that pays well and being out on your own is a huge confidence booster.

Then later, after you are settled down and successful, you can start flipping books as a hobby. That way you can continue to learn using your extra money and maybe then you can turn it into a "career" or at least a side job. It really does need to be on the back burner now though. You need to learn how to manage your priorities. Stop buying books, no matter how good of a deal and put all of that energy into finding a better job or getting a second job.

I don't know what I want out of my life career wise but I do know what I want. Another thing I want is having more then one stream of income which even people with well paying jobs do as well.

We all believe that we know what is best for us and it is hard for anyone, not just Gabe but all of us, to believe that someone else is better positioned to decide our course of action than we ourselves are.

We all choose to make decisions that are not in our own best interests.

We all persist in behavior that does not seem rational. 188 pages of this thread is proof enough of that! And I bet 188 more pages are to come where boardies tell Gabe to stop and he says he is learning and getting better at it.

I do my best to find deals and I've found some good ones if I say so myself. If I wasn't learning I would be in even more debt then I am and I'd keep over paying for comics.

We all believe that we know what is best for us and it is hard for anyone, not just Gabe but all of us, to believe that someone else is better positioned to decide our course of action than we ourselves are.

We all persist in behavior that does not seem rational. 188 pages of this thread is proof enough of that! And I bet 188 more pages are to come where boardies tell Gabe to stop and he says he is learning and getting better at it.

A lot of us also wish we had access to as much advice as Gabe is getting, or had listened to, when we were younger. If he put forth the effort and energy towards his life that he does in finding deals then maybe he would be in a better spot in life and in a position to flip books and games.

That would be true but I don't ignore all the advice I get here and my case worker doesn't know what to do with me because I don't know what I want career wise even though I said I'm willing to do as many tests as it takes.

With great advice like that, maybe he'll finally be in the black in another 3 years.

I don't think it will take that long

A lot of us also wish we had access to as much advice as Gabe is getting, or had listened to, when we were younger. If he put forth the effort and energy towards his life that he does in finding deals then maybe he would be in a better spot in life and in a position to flip books and games.

That would be true but I don't ignore all the advice I get here and my case worker doesn't know what to do with me because I don't know what I want career wise even though I said I'm willing to do as many tests as it takes.

Case worker?

Are you still receiving government/social assistance?

You make it sound like I try to people off but anyway I do have free time and it's better to look for deals and sleep then party and do drugs.

8 8