• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

We all believe that we know what is best for us and it is hard for anyone, not just Gabe but all of us, to believe that someone else is better positioned to decide our course of action than we ourselves are.

We all choose to make decisions that are not in our own best interests.

We all persist in behavior that does not seem rational. 188 pages of this thread is proof enough of that! And I bet 188 more pages are to come where boardies tell Gabe to stop and he says he is learning and getting better at it.

I myself am consistently surprised at the deals Gabe uncovers. Whether or not he should pursue any or all of those deals is another matter entirely but he seems to be a real bloodhound when it comes to finding comics.

A lot of us also wish we had access to as much advice as Gabe is getting, or had listened to, when we were younger. If he put forth the effort and energy towards his life that he does in finding deals then maybe he would be in a better spot in life and in a position to flip books and games.

That would be true but I don't ignore all the advice I get here and my case worker doesn't know what to do with me because I don't know what I want career wise even though I said I'm willing to do as many tests as it takes.

Case worker?

Are you still receiving government/social assistance?

Nope but my guy that helps me with job stuff is also a case worker but nothing to do with assistance.

I myself am consistently surprised at the deals Gabe uncovers. Whether or not he should pursue any or all of those deals is another matter entirely but he seems to be a real bloodhound when it comes to finding comics.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while

...Especially when they only work 20-25 hours a week and LOTS of free time to troll the internet because they don't have any real responsibility or motivation to get out on their own...

Not to mention that he's $1100 in the hole after doing this for 3 years.

People should continue to encourage him...just not to buy and sell comic books.

I'm working on getting into the green.

...Especially when they only work 20-25 hours a week and LOTS of free time to troll the internet because they don't have any real responsibility or motivation to get out on their own...

You make it sound like I try to people off but anyway I do have free time and it's better to look for deals and sleep then party and do drugs.

:idea:

Would it not be better to spend your time actively doing something to better yourself, find more stable employment and figure your mess out than "looking for deals and sleeping"????

How much sleeping do you do? Did you just seriously cite "sleeping" as a positive?

Man, this thread makes me :cry: and :roflmao: at the same time...

If he has a passion for it and it's not dangerous, illegal or immoral, why not follow your passion?

HOWEVER.... it should be done with a reasonable budget, like maybe the $2-$20 books for a few years so he can learn the business without putting so much of his wealth at risk in big 4-figure high-$$$ "deals". Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $10 books is a learning experience. Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $1,000 books can (and clearly HAS) taken years to get past.

If he can't restrain himself to a few small-dollar, under-$20 books at a time for a couple years while he builds his savings, increases his job/people-skills and becomes fully self-supporting - he should NOT be even thinking about books that cost more than he makes even in a single day of work, let alone over a month's rent. THAT'S where I think he is right now - it's like an obsession or addiction to get that "big win". He has to quit that cold-turkey.

He should follow his comic passion - but he must FIRST learn how to budget and START and STAY SMALL (no more that $20/week deals) for a few years while he learns the business and starts focusing FAR more of his time on fully supporting himself on his own.

2c

Because he's obviously bad at it and cannot support himself. I appreciate what you're saying but he needs to stay away from what is LOSING him money right now and focus on EARNING money.

Many mistakes have cost and I don't make enough to support myself with it but I enjoy doing this.

You make it sound like I try to people off but anyway I do have free time and it's better to look for deals and sleep then party and do drugs.

:idea:

Would it not be better to spend your time actively doing something to better yourself, find more stable employment and figure your mess out than "looking for deals and sleeping"????

How much sleeping do you do? Did you just seriously cite "sleeping" as a positive?

Man, this thread makes me :cry: and :roflmao: at the same time...

5-8 hours of sleep a day and yes I cited it as a positive because compared to partying and drugs it is better.

Gabe have you ever looked at the numbers...and I mean all of the numbers. You have a distinct disadvantage against many sellers for 2 reasons.

Currency changes - You bought the ASM at a dollar rate of 1.313 or 1255.23 CDN (+ likely a few more points for the exchange if/when you convert it back to CDN...So it likely cost you around $1280 CDN. That means for you to break even if you sold the book today you must sell it for already almost 4% higher than you paid, + the 3.9% paypal fee + shipping just as a ballpark figure in order for you to make anything you must sell the book for $1063. Now you have to add a few bucks for packing, gas and time. So do you think you can sell the book for $1100 and be content making $30 after all the time you've invested??? Of course its possible to sell it for $1100 but that ISN"T the point I'm making.

Canadian seller = higher shipping, less eyes/buyers as they don't want to buy from an international seller if possible.

I've brought this up before

More thAn once. It made about as much impact as you would expect

I remember but what people are doing is making it equal the same amount it would be in usd

If he has a passion for it and it's not dangerous, illegal or immoral, why not follow your passion?

HOWEVER.... it should be done with a reasonable budget, like maybe the $2-$20 books for a few years so he can learn the business without putting so much of his wealth at risk in big 4-figure high-$$$ "deals". Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $10 books is a learning experience. Getting scammed or taking a hit on a couple $1,000 books can (and clearly HAS) taken years to get past.

If he can't restrain himself to a few small-dollar, under-$20 books at a time for a couple years while he builds his savings, increases his job/people-skills and becomes fully self-supporting - he should NOT be even thinking about books that cost more than he makes even in a single day of work, let alone over a month's rent. THAT'S where I think he is right now - it's like an obsession or addiction to get that "big win". He has to quit that cold-turkey.

He should follow his comic passion - but he must FIRST learn how to budget and START and STAY SMALL (no more that $20/week deals) for a few years while he learns the business and starts focusing FAR more of his time on fully supporting himself on his own.

2c

Because he's obviously bad at it and cannot support himself. I appreciate what you're saying but he needs to stay away from what is LOSING him money right now and focus on EARNING money.

Many mistakes have cost and I don't make enough to support myself with it but I enjoy doing this.

That's because you're in a position where you can be $1100 in the hole and not have to worry about your next meal or a roof over your head.

I know that anything I say is going in one ear and out the other, nobody here can motivate you. It will either happen or it won't, you'll either figure it out or end up being 40+ still in the same situation. It's up to you.

Gabe have you ever looked at the numbers...and I mean all of the numbers. You have a distinct disadvantage against many sellers for 2 reasons.

Currency changes - You bought the ASM at a dollar rate of 1.313 or 1255.23 CDN (+ likely a few more points for the exchange if/when you convert it back to CDN...So it likely cost you around $1280 CDN. That means for you to break even if you sold the book today you must sell it for already almost 4% higher than you paid, + the 3.9% paypal fee + shipping just as a ballpark figure in order for you to make anything you must sell the book for $1063. Now you have to add a few bucks for packing, gas and time. So do you think you can sell the book for $1100 and be content making $30 after all the time you've invested??? Of course its possible to sell it for $1100 but that ISN"T the point I'm making.

Canadian seller = higher shipping, less eyes/buyers as they don't want to buy from an international seller if possible.

I bought it at 956 usd and I want to sell it for 1200-1300. I do know about the exchange rate and the advantage that I have and I use it when I see a deal. The point you're making is using the exchange rate to my advantage and calculating if what I buy is worth the time and effort.

2c

People enjoy a lot of things that aren't good for them in their present circumstance.

What about getting a second job? Very serious question.

Most people have about over 100 waking hours per week. You said earlier that you work 20-25 hours per week, so what do you do with the rest of your 80 waking hours per week?

Since you started working have you made a weekly and monthly budget for yourself based on your average income and your regular expenses (rent, savings, food, transportation, etc.)? Have you made an actual budget written on paper for the rest of the year?

2c

That's because you're in a position where you can be $1100 in the hole and not have to worry about your next meal or a roof over your head.

I know that anything I say is going in one ear and out the other, nobody here can motivate you. It will either happen or it won't, you'll either figure it out or end up being 40+ still in the same situation. It's up to you.

The first part is true but if I don't make rent I get kicked out it's a simple as that so it's not a safe heaven like you think it may be I still need to watch my spending.

2c

People enjoy a lot of things that aren't good for them in their present circumstance.

What about getting a second job? Very serious question.

Most people have about over 100 waking hours per week. You said earlier that you work 20-25 hours per week, so what do you do with the rest of your 80 waking hours per week?

Since you started working have you made a weekly and monthly budget for yourself based on your average income and your regular expenses (rent, savings, food, transportation, etc.)? Have you made an actual budget written on paper for the rest of the year?

A second job? I have thought about that and what I do with the rest of my hours is sleep, look for a better job and look for deals. I made a monthly budget yes and I keep track of everything not on paper but on a word doc. I have a good idea of what everything will cost me in a years time so yes.

Gabe.

You don't have a GF/BF to spend money ON. You've got rent to pay. A 25hr work week pays for that. (If it didn't, you'd be kicked out already)

The situation is that you sit on your all day, playing online and video games. You can't party and do drugs because you have no way of supporting the habit lol

What you aren't getting here and what people are saying is that this type of lifestyle doesn't last. Dealing in comics won't give you the push you need to benefit from leaving home when your parents:

1) Get sick of you

2) Die

You are going to be completely unprepared for what life is really like, and you are quite fortunate that people are taking the time to even tell you this.

Do yourself a favor, get a full time job, learn to manage your time and make work the top priority. Then when you do have time for yourself, pursue comic flipping within your budget.

Anything else you do is going to be a fail. Period.

You cannot win with the road you are on.

Have a shower, get a haircut, clean yourself up and get a real job, or have your parents help you get an education for a real career. The clock is ticking and this is leading to you to be just another loser.

They sure are piling up these days

+1 to everything Metal said, and all the other good advice that seems to bounce right off you.

You say you spend a lot of your free time looking for a better job, how many positions have you actually applied for in the last 6 months? What does your C.V./ resume look like? Has your case worker helped you with it?

Maybe with your lack of work experience and education, your free time would be better spent volunteering for a reputable organization. This would serve a few purposes. It would be a networking opportunity to meet people that may be able to employ you in a paid role, show potential employers that you are motivated and will look great on your C.V. Not to mention it may be personally satisfying and make you feel a sense of accomplishment.

Also, I know this is a chat board and you may write more casually than normal, and I'm also aware you have a learning disability, but you should work on your writing and grammar. For example, the difference between "then" and "than" and "maybe" vs "may be."

I'm not trying to be harsh, but these things could be the difference between getting hired or not if you were to write them on a job application.

Can we see a scan of the ASM #129?

I'm curious as to why you would 'gamble' on it being able to pull in the higher end of GPA, surely more than just "it is a hot book"? You paid just under 90 Day GPA for the book, about $120 less. To sell it at $1300, that would be the second highest amount paid per GPA I believe. Risky.

I'm curious to see if maybe you considered it an "exceptional" copy for the grade?

As Iceman stated, you profit margins are pretty thin, so much so, that by the time you account for any selling fees, particularly if you sell it on eBay, you NEED to sell it at the high water mark just to make a little cheese. How long are you content to have the book sit waiting for the right buyer?

But hey, you could get lucky and find the right buyer to bail you out...

Gabe.

You don't have a GF/BF to spend money ON. You've got rent to pay. A 25hr work week pays for that. (If it didn't, you'd be kicked out already)

The situation is that you sit on your all day, playing online and video games. You can't party and do drugs because you have no way of supporting the habit lol

What you aren't getting here and what people are saying is that this type of lifestyle doesn't last. Dealing in comics won't give you the push you need to benefit from leaving home when your parents:

1) Get sick of you

2) Die

You are going to be completely unprepared for what life is really like, and you are quite fortunate that people are taking the time to even tell you this.

Do yourself a favor, get a full time job, learn to manage your time and make work the top priority. Then when you do have time for yourself, pursue comic flipping within your budget.

Anything else you do is going to be a fail. Period.

You cannot win with the road you are on.

Have a shower, get a haircut, clean yourself up and get a real job, or have your parents help you get an education for a real career. The clock is ticking and this is leading to you to be just another loser.

They sure are piling up these days

I've already showered and shaved and I've said before my parents don't care what I do that's up to my as is my education. As for comics if I find a deal and can make money I'll do it.

+1 to everything Metal said, and all the other good advice that seems to bounce right off you.

You say you spend a lot of your free time looking for a better job, how many positions have you actually applied for in the last 6 months? What does your C.V./ resume look like? Has your case worker helped you with it?

Maybe with your lack of work experience and education, your free time would be better spent volunteering for a reputable organization. This would serve a few purposes. It would be a networking opportunity to meet people that may be able to employ you in a paid role, show potential employers that you are motivated and will look great on your C.V. Not to mention it may be personally satisfying and make you feel a sense of accomplishment.

Also, I know this is a chat board and you may write more casually than normal, and I'm also aware you have a learning disability, but you should work on your writing and grammar. For example, the difference between "then" and "than" and "maybe" vs "may be."

I'm not trying to be harsh, but these things could be the difference between getting hired or not if you were to write them on a job application.

I know that's one of the things on my to do list and I don't have a cover letter. I've applied to over 300 positions in the last 6 months.

Can we see a scan of the ASM #129?

I'm curious as to why you would 'gamble' on it being able to pull in the higher end of GPA, surely more than just "it is a hot book"? You paid just under 90 Day GPA for the book, about $120 less. To sell it at $1300, that would be the second highest amount paid per GPA I believe. Risky.

I'm curious to see if maybe you considered it an "exceptional" copy for the grade?

As Iceman stated, you profit margins are pretty thin, so much so, that by the time you account for any selling fees, particularly if you sell it on eBay, you NEED to sell it at the high water mark just to make a little cheese. How long are you content to have the book sit waiting for the right buyer?

But hey, you could get lucky and find the right buyer to bail you out...

Not sure if you can see it but

http://www.icomicexchange.com/product/amazing-spider-man-129-2

Turns out it's a 8.0 instead of a 8.5 but I have two ways about going with this.

1) Offer it for time payments

2) Get it pressed, Dry cleaned and re-graded

Because it has a dirt on the pages and creases which can be pressed out, how I usually sell comics is I go by last sale unless it has barely and data then I use the 90 day average. 1200 is what I'd aim for and I wouldn't say it's very nice but it does look pretty good except for the corner blunting and those are pressable too. I willing to wait for the right buyer for about 1-2 months but that's not really likely to happen imo.

Edited by uchiha101

Recent Purchases

Man thing 2

Marvel Premiere 1

ASM 129 CGC 8.5

ASM 129 Update

Turns out the comic is 8.0 not 8.5 so I have two plans for the comic

Offer it up for time payments and wait a month or two and if no one bites send it to be pressed, cleaned and regraded.

Wait, what do you mean "it turns out it's an 8.0 not an 8.5?"

You just posted a link to where you bought it, as an 8.0.

8 8