• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, jokiing said:

You think this overhang is from shipping? I've always assumed this damage was done during encapsulation. I've sent back two books with this issue and the last had minimal overhang. My last box of 25 had nine with scuffs, not from shipping because they were packed pretty tight.

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

These pictures are good examples of scuffing that happens before or during the encapsulation process...

On 3/7/2022 at 5:02 PM, jokiing said:

You think this overhang is from shipping? I've always assumed this damage was done during encapsulation. I've sent back two books with this issue and the last had minimal overhang. My last box of 25 had nine with scuffs, not from shipping because they were packed pretty tight.

IMG_3499.jpg

From you pictures I can only see scuffing.

I think a lot of scuffing comes from shipping yes, and the comic can always move in the CGC holder

80% of the time all my modern books are shifted all the way to the right in the CGC holder when I open up the box from CGC.  Since most books dont have over hang they are fine after I nicely bang the holder to center the books there after.  However any overhang is 100% damaged every single time now from CGC I get in the modern tier. 

These are happening during encapsulation not during shipping.

I took some new holders I had cracked out and it was very easy to duplicate these marks using one to scuff another.

When I put them in the plastic bags they are shipped in I could not duplicate these marks.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:15 PM, Timmay said:

IMG_4475.JPG.4b5c4ccf8c769328d383d5bcf77660ce.JPGIMG_4480.JPG.0cab3ae4e7e3868ba37497637ed65bd1.JPGIMG_4491.JPG.ffe529eec43445e8f1fa705947226df2.JPGIMG_4495.JPG.2d6f9396cb5d6bb5d329e623999359e4.JPG

So you would send these back to CGC?  The scuffing on the "9.8" part of the book is very common tough to get rid of that.  It's from the encapsulation machine.  Others are probably from shipping, and CGC slabs grinding on each other in the box.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:19 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

So you would send these back to CGC?  The scuffing on the "9.8" part of the book is very common tough to get rid of that.  It's from the encapsulation machine.  Others are probably from shipping, and CGC slabs grinding on each other in the box.

No I did not send them all back but these scuffs are not from shipping.

And if the ones by the grade are from the encapsulation machine they need to fix it.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, Timmay said:

And if the ones by the grade are from the encapsulation machine they need to fix it.

It's only a Saga 1 so no one cares.

xoxo

On 3/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, Timmay said:

One by the grade I have seen for 5+ years. 

While I’m happy to acquire this double cover miswrapped error, the slab itself has flaws. These are inside the case, not on top. And the inner well is loose inside. So it moves around when handled. Smh :facepalm:

0DD96EEF-EE49-4C35-9162-5EE76D4977F9.thumb.jpeg.eac96626ff6804840b0fd005daaabb84.jpeg

BD5E225B-A753-475C-A42A-62B2A3857022.thumb.jpeg.cfcbf1bf91efd7ca5848eea89f24dbde.jpeg

D1FA6F56-3BF7-4FBD-A975-0DF9A27DB960.thumb.jpeg.0ebdf0ec515ae88d34c11174208934dc.jpeg

874A065E-3E1F-45B8-B35B-060B843B7018.thumb.jpeg.b64e10e93f7191cc95738f394a0cb52b.jpeg

Edited by littledoom

On 3/7/2022 at 5:17 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

From you pictures I can only see scuffing.

I think a lot of scuffing comes from shipping yes, and the comic can always move in the CGC holder

80% of the time all my modern books are shifted all the way to the right in the CGC holder when I open up the box from CGC.  Since most books dont have over hang they are fine after I nicely bang the holder to center the books there after.  However any overhang is 100% damaged every single time now from CGC I get in the modern tier. 

Both of my comic books that arrived with bend corners (different shipments) were square in the holder... did not shift to the angle that you're describing during shipping, so the damage to mine was more than likely done in-house. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, The Lions Den said:

In my experience, damage resulting from a Quality Control check is extremely rare. Of course, that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...  :Rocket:

Something I've been wondering about: how do the plastic shards end up being encapsulated?  Do they come from other slabs?

Is it possible the plastic cases may already be scuffed/scratched when they arrive at CGC from the supplier? Maybe its a supplier problem and we should ease up a bit on the QC people. 

Its possible that CGC is in the same boat as us. We dont have many options when it comes to having our books graded...well, maybe CGC doesnt have many options when it comes to buying plastic cases.

I also doubt the QC people have the authorization to throw away the scratched slabs. 

That said, Ill transition to another issue Ive been seeing recently. Books curled up/bent inside the slab. Ive been told its the cheap paper used for the books. Ive been told its possibly from too much moisture during the pressing process. Ive been told its possible shaken comic syndrome. Well, I can tell you for a fact its none of the above. Its the inside case thats causing books to curl up/bend.

Let me explain.

I recently bought a CGC 9.8 form Ebay and the book was all bent up inside the slab and not flat. This was not a big money book so I decided to crack the slab to see whats going on in there. I cracked the outer slab and pulled the inner case out. The inner case holding the book seemed warped...it wouldnt lay flat on the table.

I took the book out of the inner case and... BOOM ... the book laid perfectly flat on the table. No bends, no curls...perfectly flat. So it was indeed the inner case that was causing the book to curl/bend. 

Now, this book had only lived in its slab for a few months. It was a recent sub. Thats most likely why the book laid flat after being freed from its tomb. But what about books that lay bent in a slab for 5?...10 years?

I guess, worst case, it would need a press to lay flat again. Its just, a book looks really crappy when it doesnt lay flat in the slab. That really bothers me.

Again though, I think this is an issue between CGC and whoever supplies the plastic cases. 

(shrug)

On 3/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, lostboys said:

I also doubt the QC people have the authorization to throw away the scratched slabs. 

I don't know about "throw away", but it's logical to assume that if CGC spends their time/money to reslab these slabs, they would probably not want them used in the first place. Unless there's some kind of "use them all, and we'll reslab those that people complain about" decision from management.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:42 AM, lostboys said:

Is it possible the plastic cases may already be scuffed/scratched when they arrive at CGC from the supplier? Maybe its a supplier problem and we should ease up a bit on the QC people. 

Its possible that CGC is in the same boat as us. We dont have many options when it comes to having our books graded...well, maybe CGC doesnt have many options when it comes to buying plastic cases.

This is absolutely CGC's problem.  It the company supplying the slabs is causing the problem CGC should reject the shipment, ask for a refund of the cost and inform the supplier they are not fulfilling the terms of their contract.  They should also be looking for another company to supply the holders for multiple reasons, as a guard against not getting enough supply, to hedge against an unanticipated rate hike, and for quality control purposes.  This is a normal course of business and 100% in CGC's control.     

On 3/8/2022 at 10:28 AM, JJ-4 said:

This is absolutely CGC's problem.  It the company supplying the slabs is causing the problem CGC should reject the shipment, ask for a refund of the cost and inform the supplier they are not fulfilling the terms of their contract.  They should also be looking for another company to supply the holders for multiple reasons, as a guard against not getting enough supply, to hedge against an unanticipated rate hike, and for quality control purposes.  This is a normal course of business and 100% in CGC's control.     

I hear you and I agree. Maybe they are in the process of changing suppliers. Maybe there are no other suppliers to change to.

Apply your above logic to our situation as CGC customers.

We do as you suggested above.

We reject the shipment.

We ask for a refund. 

We also have another option but lets be 100% honest here... youre not going to CBCS and neither am I.

(shrug)

On 3/8/2022 at 9:03 AM, lostboys said:

I hear you and I agree. Maybe they are in the process of changing suppliers. Maybe there are no other suppliers to change to.

Apply your above logic to our situation as CGC customers.

We do as you suggested above.

We reject the shipment.

We ask for a refund. 

We also have another option but lets be 100% honest here... youre not going to CBCS and neither am I.

(shrug)

Your are partially correct.  I'm not going to CBCS.

But I'm a potential customer and would love to get some of my comics slabbed but I just can't pull the trigger due to all the issues CGC is having.

Complicated instructions on submitting / assigning value to books, damaged books due to shipping and negligence on CGC's side, receiving your comic back in cracked cases, seeing shards in cases, scuffed cases, quality control issues with incorrect labels, & upside down books.

Add to this turn around times that frankly are freaking crazy that many of the folks on these boards sound like they are either living in denial that they have Stockholm syndrome or are finally waking up to the fact that they have it.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, JJ-4 said:

But I'm a potential customer and would love to get some of my comics slabbed but I just can't pull the trigger due to all the issues CGC is having.

Complicated instructions on submitting / assigning value to books, damaged books due to shipping and negligence on CGC's side, receiving your comic back in cracked cases, seeing shards in cases, scuffed cases, quality control issues with incorrect labels, & upside down books.

Add to this turn around times that frankly are freaking crazy that many of the folks on these boards sound like they are either living in denial that they have Stockholm syndrome or are finally waking up to the fact that they have it.

TATS are out of control. Especially if youre getting a press too. Ive probably only submitted 25 books since ive joined. Ive returned a few because of scratches/scuffs. 

On 3/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, JJ-4 said:

There are ABSOLUTELY issues with CGC at pretty much every level but threads like these are just the worst examples.  The thousands of customers who AREN'T having issues aren't posting here because it's not exactly riveting to say, "Wow...my experience was great and there were no issues."  I just had a modern FT submission come back in 16 days with no scuffing and graded dead on but that doesn't get the juices flowing like commiserating over :censored: ups.  

This isn't directed at you but there's a very vocal group who've never submitted or even purchased a slabbed book (regardless of what company) and they're the loudest critics.  It's strange.

I get that you're using your voice as a potential customer to hopefully get CGC to change for the better and that's great - freak what you feel.  The turn around times are the one thing that's making me submit less, for sure - they're terrible.  The potential for a QC problem isn't even close to being a concern (and I've had BIG books show up with shards). 

On 3/8/2022 at 9:53 AM, Beastfeast said:

There are ABSOLUTELY issues with CGC at pretty much every level but threads like these are just the worst examples.  The thousands of customers who AREN'T having issues aren't posting here because it's not exactly riveting to say, "Wow...my experience was great and there were no issues."  I just had a modern FT submission come back in 16 days with no scuffing and graded dead on but that doesn't get the juices flowing like commiserating over :censored: ups.  

This isn't directed at you but there's a very vocal group who've never submitted or even purchased a slabbed book (regardless of what company) and they're the loudest critics.  It's strange.

I get that you're using your voice as a potential customer to hopefully get CGC to change for the better and that's great - freak what you feel.  The turn around times are the one thing that's making me submit less, for sure - they're terrible.  The potential for a QC problem isn't even close to being a concern (and I've had BIG books show up with shards). 

Thanks for the great response.  Good to hear some folks here are satisfied with their hard earned dollars and are happy with the results and getting books back timely.

On the topic of critics it seems to me as an outsider that some of them had really positive interactions with CGC in the past but the general trend has been more issues with quality, price, and TAT's.

Years ago I used to go to a mechanic that had a sign hanging up in the office that said something like "My Independent shop has the following 1) Industry Leading Quality 2) Better Prices, We Beat the Competition 3) Speed - Get Your Vehicle Back Fast," and at the bottom it said "Please Select the 2 that are important to you".

It seems CGC delivers exactly zero.