• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,152 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, djzombi said:

Yep.  I had two Spidey Vol. 2 #36 return to me (same submission), one 9.6, the other 9.8.  The 9.6 looks better to me than the 9.8.  Were the labels accidentally swapped at CGC?  Who knows?  
After that, now I don't send dupes in the same submission, and instead split them between two different orders.  

Would love to know how often that occurs.  Once is too many.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:37 AM, djzombi said:

When people submit 50 copies of the latest "hot" book, I wonder how many of that stack come back with accidentally swapped labels.  

Even worse.  How many of those once received back then they crack the lower grade and send back for the bump. :facepalm:

On 3/10/2022 at 1:50 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Even worse.  How many of those once received back then they crack the lower grade and send back for the bump. :facepalm:

Interesting business model, just grade more harshly to keep people submitting those almost perfect books twice, first time for a 9.6 and then have them pay again to chase that 9.8.  Makes business sense to maximize grading dollars, and makes sense for the submitter has to pay twice enhance return on the 9.8's needed for flips.  Interesting to see if the grading change can be ties to the new owners investment in CGC.  Anyway, TAT's grow longer, quality goes down, rinse and repeat.  

On 3/10/2022 at 4:28 PM, JJ-4 said:

Interesting business model, just grade more harshly to keep people submitting those almost perfect books twice, first time for a 9.6 and then have them pay again to chase that 9.8.  Makes business sense to maximize grading dollars, and makes sense for the submitter has to pay twice enhance return on the 9.8's needed for flips.  Interesting to see if the grading change can be ties to the new owners investment in CGC.  Anyway, TAT's grow longer, quality goes down, rinse and repeat.  

What I am referring to is unscrupulous sellers, who for example sent in multiple copies that eventually get a label swap say one 9.4 and a 9.8 swap. They realize this and crack the 9.4 (really 9.8) and sell the 9.4(sitting in a 9.8 holder) now in the above post I quoted of 50 or so "hot books" this may not be much maybe 1 or 2 but we really do not know. 

Another advocate of buy the book not the label.  Still you could see this being yet another way some of these could be getting released into the market.  

Same goes for those books damaged either in shipping,  encapsulation, etc. It says 9.8 on the holder . So they sell it trying to pass off the book to someone else. :facepalm:

On 3/14/2022 at 5:55 PM, MetaHuman said:

The Super Mario Bros. book is a #1 but labelled #2.

If you were responding to THE_BEYONDER's post......he was simply pointing out that we don't even know if the grade is correct on the label.

The original submitter of that book might have submitted a #1 along with a #2........and CGC might have simply swapped the labels when they encapsulated each book.

On 3/14/2022 at 6:12 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If you were responding to THE_BEYONDER's post......he was simply pointing out that we don't even know if the grade is correct on the label.

The original submitter of that book might have submitted a #1 along with a #2........and CGC might have simply swapped the labels when they encapsulated each book.

I thought the same thing, but when I checked the CGC Certification #'s surrounding that book. 

3881022001 - 3881022006 none were for another Super Mario and 3881022007 does not exist or 8. So the submission must have only been the 6 books. 

(shrug)

On 3/12/2022 at 1:45 AM, toro said:

Don't know if anyone posted this one.  A person on Facebook listed this Hulk #7 he sent in.  Problem was he never had it signed anywhere by anyone.

No photo description available.

They grade invisible comics!  Why not invisible signatures?!  (:

CGC responded: "Pardon my French!"  :wink:

Edited by Coverless 9.8

On 3/15/2022 at 5:50 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

They grade invisible comics!  Why not invisible signatures?!  (:

CGC responded: "Pardon my French!"  :wink:

1087627984_giphy(2).gif.55a8669c2caed0bad4e09533968eddd6.gif.c007fd6a429d0f701625122fa3faa827.gif

On 3/15/2022 at 2:17 PM, Iceman399 said:

Posted on FB yesterday

No description available.

Even worse, there is a hair sticking out of the top of the slab. :whatthe:

On 3/15/2022 at 2:17 PM, Iceman399 said:

Posted on FB yesterday

No description available.

Some of these I actually wonder if the submitter put the wrong issue in their form and just no one noticed. It would be a lot cheaper to submit this way at least.

I noticed a book on Instagram in a live sale that was a known second print but not labeled, if this continues to go un noticed there are going to be some very unhappy owners. Could not grab a screen shot .