• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 9:33 AM, skypinkblu said:

Thanks, that is interesting for sure. I guess my point is, that people need to be looking at the books, not just drop downs and they should know enough about comics for a light bulb to go off at some point. I'm not sure if that's practical for the company...but it's what I'd like to see as a collector/customer.

Attention to detail seems to be a thing of the past these days.  Those of us that still pay attention get razzed for having OCD. (shrug)

On 5/15/2022 at 10:40 AM, zzutak said:

And, yes, I realize that there are several multiple-series titles.  Phantom Stranger is the one that first comes to mind.  Correctly dealing with such titles should not be a difficult task.

PS.png.cafa31b22528c5018a911e90b96f88df.png

Getting back to your Katy Keene #17, I'm wondering if the date field on the CGC submission form automatically populated to 10/86 rather than 07/54 when the issue number was entered (and neither the submitter nor CGC caught the error).  This is an interesting example -- at CGC, would the primary responsibility for catching this error this rest with the Verification (Step 2/7) personnel rather than the Quality Control (Step 6/7) personnel?  (shrug)

Verification.thumb.png.ac89e8e8306fbc2a6d79ef7503c6b9cd.png

I doubt the submission was incorrect. One of the things I'm fairly certain of, from the way errors occur, is that CGC's intake process doesn't directly import anything from the submission invoice; instead, intake employees have to re-enter each book in a process that presumably looks like the submission form.

And is exactly as prone to errors.

Well, CGC certifies that they ARE included, so I guess they would be legally culpable for the misrepresentation.

On 5/15/2022 at 12:58 PM, optimal_max said:

Minor issue, but still inaccurate info

Got both of these back this past week.  "Fleer Ultra X-Men Cards included"  Nope, these are both Newsstand Editions which did not include cards.

IMG_20220515_144432942.thumb.jpg.6a439d47c40d8d28870ebaec8f8d3bdc.jpgIMG_20220515_144515264.thumb.jpg.a3e02ac03edabbc72f1627cfaa489518.jpg

Be best to show the back in this case, otherwise can't tell

On 5/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, optimal_max said:

Not sure what I have to gain by lying about it, but I'll play along. IMG_20220515_164659669.thumb.jpg.f39edabdb61c2b8f3224bb68808f1b4b.jpg

Yeah, wasn't be accusatory, but this makes for better representation, ya?

On 5/15/2022 at 1:49 PM, optimal_max said:

Not sure what I have to gain by lying about it, but I'll play along. 

I doubt it's that. I remember someone asking if he had a NM98 NS or DE before posting an image of his CGC 9.6 NS. I shrugged and pointed out it did indeed have a barcode (then asked if he wanted to know the grade hm).

Of course, this was across the street. so...

On 5/15/2022 at 1:58 PM, optimal_max said:

Minor issue, but still inaccurate info

Got both of these back this past week.  "Fleer Ultra X-Men Cards included"  Nope, these are both Newsstand Editions which did not include cards.

IMG_20220515_144432942.thumb.jpg.6a439d47c40d8d28870ebaec8f8d3bdc.jpgIMG_20220515_144515264.thumb.jpg.a3e02ac03edabbc72f1627cfaa489518.jpg

I feel like this is less of a QA failure and more an unintended consequence (yet again) of CGC's weirdly stubborn determination to stick their fingers in their ears and chant LALALA DM AND NS BOOKS ARE IDENTICAL. 

On 5/13/2022 at 10:15 PM, Iceman399 said:

CGC is really making me frustrated. 

Creep Engine reholder

grade dropped from 9.8 to 9.4.  Notes updated to include tear on back cover.  CGC never bothered to contact me saying the book was damaged, almost like they hoped I wouldn't notice it.

Looks like a screwdriver went through the back by the staple.

It's taken 6 emails to CGC and we are currently at the stage of can you send us more pictures of the book before you sent it to us (not sure why they need more photos) it was sent to CGC still encapsulated so the only and I mean ONLY place it could have been damaged was by CGC when they removed it from their already damaging holder.

@CGC Mike I know this isn't on you but this is just wrong.

CGC dun screwed up and should be like hey we dun screwed up we'll make it right.  Instead we are over a week into this saga with emails that have just asked for more and more photos to "investigate".

pred 1 back damage.jpg

pred 1 reholder.jpg

pred 1 creep.jpg

On 5/14/2022 at 1:14 PM, joeypost said:

You can see how easily this could happen. Someone used to cracking out slabs that have the inner well could easily forget these old “creep engine” slabs only had a thin piece of plastic covering the book and a screwdriver could easily slide in and damage the book. 

While that is one of the issues the bigger one is the person who damages the book without speaking up. 

I just sent in some slabs to get remarqued and if this is there S.O.P. then I am now terrified.  I know they have us click that release form, but come on. 

It is very concerning no one said I screwed up opening it and just passed it through.

???

On 5/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, Axe Elf said:

Well, CGC certifies that they ARE included, so I guess they would be legally culpable for the misrepresentation.

Or theft of said cards. ;) 

I thought it was toilet paper for a second. 

On 5/18/2022 at 10:57 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I thought it was a condom

That explains CGC backlog, but at the same time I'm kinda happy for them. It also makes me never want to open a slab.