• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, Robert_L said:

With regards to my books with the spine creases, CGC has offered  free pressing and recasing for me.

Thank you CGC

How in the?? I hope you get priority on the pressing too!

Edited by KirbyTown

On 8/19/2022 at 6:38 AM, zzutak said:

Every example posted in this thread actually represents (at least) two separate fails: the upstream staff member who whiffed, and the QC staff member who failed to catch the upstream error.  One pitch, two strikes.  :tonofbricks:

ump.thumb.jpg.d2eb530fb4df8ca8745a8cc0de0f5018.jpg

These may only fall onto the grader.  Not sure the job of the QC.

07134D0F-26E1-4A0F-B4FE-BF6BC06D7B75.jpeg

EBDCE650-AEFF-4B0D-8887-70BC738E0BE5.jpeg

46C7DE19-A47E-4D33-BCB0-5F279CA8DACC.jpeg

On 8/20/2022 at 6:40 PM, jcjames said:

Are those tears before it was subbed or was it cracked out and discovered after grading?

The tears were there when they were being pressed.  The pictures were taken to show the customer.  They said send it in anyway.  This is the result!

On 8/20/2022 at 7:00 PM, Robert Doggett said:

The tears were there when they were being pressed.  The pictures were taken to show the customer.  They said send it in anyway.  This is the result!

Thanks..

Just confirms to me that speed-grading moderns probably doesn't even involve looking inside anymore. doh!

Edited by jcjames

On 8/21/2022 at 1:23 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

There’s no way they are counting pages in the modern division :insane:

I have a feeling that counting is the extent of the interior page interaction. It's likely that CGC has consulted-out every moment of wasted production time, which means a count is likely just a count rather than a medical exam. How many moderns are going to have gouged interior pages with no evidence of cover damage that are buried so far left as to escape the minimal page lift necessary for a count? I doubt it's enough to justify slowing down the weekly line of 40k.

Edited by KirbyTown

Why would a customer want a damaged book to continue to be graded? 

Just so they can show this off, knowing the book would get a 9.8?

Anyone else notice a few missing steps here or are we just piling on?

On 8/20/2022 at 10:00 PM, Robert Doggett said:

And here I "waste my time" closely reviewing the interior of every comic book and magazine I submit to CGC for grading, including moderns off the "newsstand." Well, regardless, I'll continue to do such because that is how I have always graded them whether or not submitting them to CGC.

On 8/19/2022 at 4:50 AM, Robert Doggett said:

Sorry for the late response! Got caught up in something last night!! 

A49B299B-B899-4618-95EA-9F240F1518D3.jpeg

It's like they got me to grade this one during the last contest. 

On 8/21/2022 at 2:45 AM, KirbyTown said:

I have a feeling that counting is the extent of the interior page interaction. It's likely that CGC has consulted-out every moment of wasted production time, which means a count is likely just a count rather than a medical exam. How many moderns are going to have gouged interior pages with no evidence of cover damage that are buried so far left as to escape the minimal page lift necessary for a count? I doubt it's enough to justify slowing down the weekly line of 40k.

I would hope that at the bare minimum they would at least look at the centerfold, because that's where a lot of damage can occur, even on moderns.  
But that's probably too much to ask for.  

One of these days, someone (maybe CGC) is going to package a "Do it yourself" slab kit. 

Comes with labels and stickers, kind of like the garage sale stuff...and a clickable case. You can add notes like (graded by 3 professional friends) Once you click the case, it's sealed until broken into with a chisel.

All sizes, so people who need to match cases will be happy.

I wonder if Blackstone realized what an OCD (not that it's a bad thing) crowd they would be dealing with when they bought the company. I bet no one told them that people here can actually ID books they used to own, spot resto in a picture, track bidders, etc, etc, etc.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:20 AM, Cat said:

It's like they got me to grade this one during the last contest. 

Best post in here 🥳

You didn't get a recruitment call after your results were posted? You seem like exactly what they're looking for!

Edited by KirbyTown