• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 9:59 AM, skypinkblu said:

One of these days, someone (maybe CGC) is going to package a "Do it yourself" slab kit. 

Comes with labels and stickers, kind of like the garage sale stuff...and a clickable case. You can add notes like (graded by 3 professional friends) Once you click the case, it's sealed until broken into with a chisel.

All sizes, so people who need to match cases will be happy.

I wonder if Blackstone realized what an OCD (not that it's a bad thing) crowd they would be dealing with when they bought the company. I bet no one told them that people here can actually ID books they used to own, spot resto in a picture, track bidders, etc, etc, etc.

Does it come with " optional ", plastic shards, pieces of paper, upside down viewing instructions, wrong label tutorial, and 3 D glasses?

On 8/21/2022 at 12:24 PM, Jaylam said:

You forgot " strands of hair" and "food crumbs"!

also oil slicks and scratches...darn, I need to go retake OCD 101...

I think the "hair" bothers me the most for some reason. Shards I can almost understand, but hair...ewwwww...

On 8/22/2022 at 1:13 AM, KirbyTown said:

Best post in here 🥳

You didn't get a recruitment call after your results were posted? You seem like exactly what they're looking for!

They put me straight onto a super special project. Project: Black Flag. Just whatever I did, don't bring any embarrassment onto the company. 

I think I've done a bang-up job. 

Now they give me the super duper special assignment of getting everyone's lunches. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:44 AM, The Meta said:

Why would a customer want a damaged book to continue to be graded? 

Just so they can show this off, knowing the book would get a 9.8?

Anyone else notice a few missing steps here or are we just piling on?

I made an assumption as to what went down with this book.  I was in no way involved in the discussion.  Who would crack a 9.8 to read it or inspect it?  That doesn't sound logical to me but I 100% trust the source where this came from.  Seeing as the ripple from the tear is still present, the pictures were taken before the book was pressed would be my best guess.

Who would send in a book in this condition and "know" it will get a 9.8?  Only someone new to the hobby would hope to get a 9.8 from this book.  Again, the info was passed down to me so I was not a fly on the wall during the discussion of this book.  

It's OK to doubt the authenticity of these pictures. Heck, I would have some reservations believing it if I didn't know the source.

On 8/21/2022 at 11:20 AM, Ryan. said:

Silver-Surfer-1.png

But seriously, these are really good and I keep a few on hand for books that don't make sense to send to CGC or won't get an actual grade (like the coverless books I design and print new covers for - I can still display them well)

On 8/23/2022 at 9:09 AM, Sauce Dog said:

But seriously, these are really good and I keep a few on hand for books that don't make sense to send to CGC or won't get an actual grade (like the coverless books I design and print new covers for - I can still display them well)

What are these?  Wouldn't mind a couple  myself for display purposes. 

On 8/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, littledoom said:

Just got these back today after being reholdered for hair inside the slabs. It’s a never ending saga with CGC. That’s why I don’t think I’ll be submitting anymore books 

66667770-4C2A-4D11-B5AF-FC5A602E361F.thumb.jpeg.9a108dc3bae1da65b3697d97f71d2e26.jpeg

45139315-C348-434B-9A46-460BC7900CCA.thumb.jpeg.2724955eec7dd03d9edb35dc5c153559.jpeg

7AC6B1A9-2EF3-4391-9DD4-BDE6215B94F2.thumb.jpeg.223bd6b7b12f5638f78407dd1e0f5aaa.jpeg

I'm a bit confused. Are you complaining that CGC slabs have newton rings? That's how the slabs are. I thought this was an accepted fact when you send books into them or buy their slabs. 

On 8/25/2022 at 6:17 PM, Flanders82 said:

I'm a bit confused. Are you complaining that CGC slabs have newton rings? That's how the slabs are. I thought this was an accepted fact when you send books into them or buy their slabs. 

😂 I've never heard it put quite that way!

Maybe it's relative, but out of 18 slabs that came back this week (so while I feel your comment in my heart) only two slabs had Newton rings. (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

😂 I've never heard it put quite that way!

Maybe it's relative, but out of 18 slabs that came back this week (so while I feel your comment in my heart) only two slabs had Newton rings. (thumbsu

I wasn't aware the issue has gotten better. I can't really notice them on the slabs I display. Maybe it's the angle and the limited lighting or it's possible newton rings are far less common now.