• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2023 at 10:26 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

We have been hitting some record temps here in Florida. 

FB_IMG_1691507169647.jpg.d509364577db5d5716758b97a633b1fd.jpg

Sorry it happened to your submission and hopefully they will do their best to make it as right as they can. 

This is the reason I discontinued sending things to CGC . (The multiple trips back and forth to CGC for ME) which usually resulted in damage to the items making the trips. :sorry:

The damage to the items making the trip is what did it for me. Also, how are these things missed. I don’t ever see it for cards but just comics and posters..

On 8/10/2023 at 8:59 PM, Susanville said:

Got this yesterday...

Screen_Shot_2023-08-10_at_5.58.30_PM.png

@CGC Mike I don't really expect an answer, but how can this possibly happen? How do things like this continue to happen in the first place and then not get caught by QC? I'm sure you can see why people think not all books go through QC and go directly from slabbing to a box. 

• Administrator
On 8/13/2023 at 7:59 AM, wombat said:

@CGC Mike I don't really expect an answer, but how can this possibly happen? How do things like this continue to happen in the first place and then not get caught by QC? I'm sure you can see why people think not all books go through QC and go directly from slabbing to a box. 

I have been told there is a QC department, and we have  very low defect rate.  I will continue to periodically send them examples you guys post that have slipped by, which will help us to improve.

On 8/13/2023 at 8:26 AM, CGC Mike said:

I have been told there is a QC department

C'mon Mike. You told us that you actually watched QC do their thing for hours straight.

May 24th in this thread -

When I observed QC for a few hours, they looked at both the front and back of each book for several seconds.  

• Administrator
On 8/13/2023 at 9:05 AM, Gaard said:

May 24th in this thread -

When I observed QC for a few hours, they looked at both the front and back of each book for several seconds.  

That is correct.  I was at CGC last year, and recently verified that there is still a QC team.  

What exactly is the process for encapsulation? To me everyone involved should be QC not a team of people at the end of the process. Do the graders put the books in the slabs? Does the label go on before the book goes in the case? 

Don't worry people, this is just the early phase of teaching the AI how to do its job.

The fact it lacks common sense would bother me, but thats been in decline over the decades as well

• Administrator
On 8/13/2023 at 9:48 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

What exactly is the process for encapsulation? To me everyone involved should be QC not a team of people at the end of the process. Do the graders put the books in the slabs? Does the label go on before the book goes in the case? 

Everyone is responsible for maintaining good QC.  The graders do not put the books in the slabs.   

I would say most of the problems could be solved in the encapsulation process. The graders have done their job. They pass it off to the person putting it in the slab. Right then and there you can probably eliminate most of the problems. Do the books and label match? Is it in upside down? Backwards? Is there a bug stuck in between the plastic? Did I leave my post it notes on the book? 

One other question. Do the books from any one single customer have to remain in order the whole process? If they accidentally get mixed up are the encapsulaters going to just put the books and stickers together as given to them? That at least would explain why you get a Spider-Man comic with an x-men label.

On 8/13/2023 at 4:59 AM, wombat said:

@CGC Mike How can this get past QC it's so right there in your face (Not intended towards you). Honestly, I have stopped submitting books for grading and re-encapsulating because of examples like this. When this thread gets down to a minimal minor defect list I will submit again. Please share that at your next meeting and let them know that there are probably others like me.

What the? @greggy @THE_BEYONDER @kav @oakman29 @Buzzetta@ADAMANTIUM@onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 8/12/2023 at 4:05 PM, ExNihilo said:

Hair you say?

On 8/10/2023 at 5:59 PM, Susanville said:

Got this yesterday...

Screen_Shot_2023-08-10_at_5.58.30_PM.png

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 8/13/2023 at 7:32 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

I would say most of the problems could be solved in the encapsulation process. The graders have done their job. They pass it off to the person putting it in the slab. Right then and there you can probably eliminate most of the problems. Do the books and label match? Is it in upside down? Backwards? Is there a bug stuck in between the plastic? Did I leave my post it notes on the book? 

I believe the phases after grading are encapsulation, QC, shipping/receiving.

I imagine the encapsulation and shipping/receiving teams aren't qualified to make judgement calls on labeling and what not.  It's probably the two phases of the entire process that don't necessitate any knowledge in comics as they're more technical/physical roles.  Not to dismiss the work of anyone that works in those fields, but I would think it would require the least amount of critical thinking to perform your job.  (Unless the encapsulation machine breaks down, then I imagine their knowledge in that particular field comes in really handy).  But otherwise I figure you place the book in a designated spot, press a button, assemble the inner/outer well, press another button, and send it on its way.  I just can't imagine the encapsulation room isn't heavily automated and that most days employees aren't simply high functioning drones going through the process until the lunch bell rings.  That doesn't excuse stuff like rolls of stickers getting slabbed, but I wouldn't expect someone in encapsulation to go "hang on, this isn't a 2nd print, it's a facsimile cover" and send the book back.  That said, one of the three departments should catch major things that can be caught with a simple glance.  Big, obvious stuff getting past QC is inexcusable.

On 8/13/2023 at 2:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

I believe the phases after grading are encapsulation, QC, shipping/receiving.

And that's why things fail - QC should be embedded in every stage, not a single stage gate in the assembly line.

-bc

On 8/13/2023 at 2:07 PM, Sigur Ros said:

There. Is. No. QC.

There needs to be a review signature.  I work in finance, when I reconcile the books at the end of the month I sign and date my review.  When I prepared quarterly reporting for the auditors, I sign and date my support.  There needs to be a similar process in place for QC such that issues can be traced back to the reviewer so you can monitor performance.  A QC intern or two should be responsible for doing a high level review of all books to make sure the bare minimum requirement is met.  No upside down books.  No hair or loose papers in slabs.  This thread continues to be an embarrassment for CGC and I refuse to pay to send books in until the number of posts in here is reduced to a minimum of less obvious problems.