• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2023 at 4:22 AM, Gaard said:

This is what CGC is hoping for.

This is either what they didn't count on, or did but don't care.

They dont care. Look at all the names they continue to announce for private signings. Some of these guys I wonder if they will have more than 10 books to sign. CGC doesn’t care about that either. Its go go go and figure out the issues later if at all. 

Would you guys send this back for a reholder or keep it as-is?

This book is 9.8, and it has a bit of an indentation on the back spine, likely due to the wedge. Not too big or noticeable, unless under direct light at an angle. 

It is an expensive book in a 9.8, and being potentially downgraded from a 9.8 to a 9.6 would be detrimental.

The top and bottom edges also have a very slight waviness. The book was perfectly flat before getting graded, so the inner well may be too tight.

warp.jpg

Edited by Timed

On 9/11/2023 at 6:46 PM, Timed said:

That's what I figured. Hoping that it doesn't affect the resell value of the book down the line... ugh. 

It probably will.  They put a 9.8 grade on it then crush the spine like that, it's not a 9.8.   Now it's just another overgrade by CGC.

I'm sorry bro.  They fkd you.

Screenshot_20230911_204142_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.007bb6eb4757460d9f576354e20ce1b5.jpg

On 9/10/2023 at 11:46 PM, Timed said:

This book is 9.8, and it has a bit of an indentation on the back spine, likely due to the wedge. Not too big or noticeable, unless under direct light at an angle. 

It is an expensive book in a 9.8, and being potentially downgraded from a 9.8 to a 9.6 would be detrimental.

The top and bottom edges also have a very slight waviness. The book was perfectly flat before getting graded, so the inner well may be too tight.

warp.jpg

I have several books with that wedge, and not one of them is better off for it.  Sorry your book got jacked up like this!

On 9/12/2023 at 8:41 AM, Iconic1s said:

I have several books with that wedge, and not one of them is better off for it.  Sorry your book got jacked up like this!

I know I have a couple but haven't looked at them since taking a pic to look at...

Is it just the new gen slab, and has it caused problems needing reholders with all of them?

On 9/12/2023 at 10:07 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know I have a couple but haven't looked at them since taking a pic to look at...

Is it just the new gen slab, and has it caused problems needing reholders with all of them?

I’d have to check if any of them are earlier generation holders… can’t remember for sure.

Do know for sure they are a problem with the current holder… worst are on black back covers.  I have not had a bend but the edges of the wedge tend to cut into the cover. I usually tap the book as far off the wedge as I can and then carefully store the book.  Drives me crazy. Don’t plan on sending in any reholders (like I used to) because I don’t trust they won't be damaged in another way. 

I started the process of cracking my books out of the slabs.

I know, I know...money out the window but IT FELT GOOD.

CGC labels in the bag with the book...game over...im done with graded books.

BTW, I also cracked a few of the other company's slabs and they actually stick a slice of plastic inside the books instead of the slip of paper that CGC says they put in theirs.

I say it that way because half the CGC slabs I cracked did not have the paper in the book.

On 9/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, wombat said:

They don't catch it because they don't check every book. 

If we say all these hundreds of errors are from simply not checking... Imagine how many times this occurs once you add the ones they caught.

On 9/10/2023 at 10:46 PM, Timed said:

warp.jpg

ASM 300, I can tell by the text. If it doesn’t break color then it may be repairable with a press???? 

On 9/13/2023 at 4:37 PM, Sigur Ros said:

If we say all these hundreds of errors are from simply not checking... Imagine how many times this occurs once you add the ones they caught.

Why would that matter?  Wouldn't that be an example of QC working?