• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes - What a joke

163 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of buying a comic so I've asked the seller if he is ok to wait while I pull the grader notes to make an informed decision.

Spine stress lines break colour.

That's great.

A competitor which I shall not name, provides these free of charge... And then this is the level of detail.

¾" corner crease bottom left back cover does not break color

¼" tear right front cover

small chip/tears/creases top back cover

sunshadow right front cover

Instant and free.

The CGC ones cost me $10.

What the hell?? rantrant

Post your best grader notes that cost you money...

While I'm not the biggest fan of CGC notes and their cost, this is essentially not a fair comparison. Is it the same book graded by both companies? if not who's to say the first book's only defect is what is listed. :shrug:

I get that people want them to be free like before or more detailed but haven't we discussed this before.

If you aren't happy with the turn around times, the fees, the notes etc there seems to be a perfect alternative but yet people still want to complain about CGC.

I think it was Norrin Radd(boardie) that side...

"...and lo,there shall be complaining..'

It is in someone's sigline...name it!

I'm thinking of buying a comic so I've asked the seller if he is ok to wait while I pull the grader notes to make an informed decision.

Spine stress lines break colour.

That's great.

A competitor which I shall not name, provides these free of charge... And then this is the level of detail.

¾" corner crease bottom left back cover does not break color

¼" tear right front cover

small chip/tears/creases top back cover

sunshadow right front cover

Instant and free.

The CGC ones cost me $10.

What the hell?? rantrant

Post your best grader notes that cost you money...

As others have mentioned this is not a fair comparison. Unless the book is the same cracked out and graded by the other what's the point?

One book has color breaking spine stresses, the other book has other issues.

(shrug)

I have never bought grader notes for my books. but I have always been tempted for this one.

Oh and if anyone has 10 bucks they want to toss away feel free to find out for me /wink

I bet it's a light stain. I have books that ended up 5.0/5.5 for something you almost can't see. They hammer big time for any water damage.

it is as if all graders are self trained or lack standards as far as language or level of details.

The notes were never meant by CGC to be all inclusive or exhaustive. They were meant for graders to pass notes from each other to the next so that nothing that was crucial might be missed.

As people started to complain about their grades the notes came to be used to justify the grade of the book, often over the phone. But they still were not written down for customer consumption.

I'm guessing that by today, they're not even writing notes down any more and just use a pre made check list and check off the most appropriate notes, and those get recorded.

Again, not meant to account for every defect. Just to give a general idea of where the next grader should keep an eye out for.

Understood...

However things change over time and when the competition is doing something that the paying customer desires then the original company can do one of two things. Ignore what it's paying customers ask for or continue on with their plan of action.

We want the notes. Despite whatever CGC meant for them to be, they are something different now. They are the notes that allow us to understand why a book is assessed at a certain grade. They are the notes that allow us to have a better look at the interiors of a sealed book that we cannot see unless we break the casing of the slab. It removes an element of doubt when determining whether or not a purchase should be made.

The baseball card industry never had to provide notes because all negative aspects holding a card from a grade could be seen due to all sides of the card being visible. This is not true with the comic.

Free notes...

I don't want to spend money every time I want to know why my book was graded the way it was. I paid to have it assessed. I want to know what is wrong with it. Otherwise we wonder why a book that received an 8.0 looks really like a 5.0. (See the other thread)... Or I am left wondering... why did my ASM 1 come back a 2.5 after I had it pressed by Matt and it removed some of the defects that earned it a 2.5 the last time.

The competition is offering free notes. I have to say... I have been checking them out. It makes me far more willing to buy books in their slabs when I can make a more educated decision.

Furthermore... it leads me to believe that others are willing to do the same, so I will start submitting books to them to be graded. Because at the end of the day... I will know what service I actually paid for.

Submitters should have access to the notes on their books. They want to charge 3rd parties, by all means that sounds fair. I should have access to the notes that I submitted.

I don't want to spend money every time I want to know why my book was graded the way it was. I paid to have it assessed. I want to know what is wrong with it. Otherwise we wonder why a book that received an 8.0 looks really like a 5.0. (See the other thread)... Or I am left wondering... why did my ASM 1 come back a 2.5 after I had it pressed by Matt and it removed some of the defects that earned it a 2.5 the last time.

Submitters should have access to the notes on their books. They want to charge 3rd parties, by all means that sounds fair. I should have access to the notes that I submitted.

I concur wholeheartedly.

-slym

it is as if all graders are self trained or lack standards as far as language or level of details.

The notes were never meant by CGC to be all inclusive or exhaustive. They were meant for graders to pass notes from each other to the next so that nothing that was crucial might be missed.

As people started to complain about their grades the notes came to be used to justify the grade of the book, often over the phone. But they still were not written down for customer consumption.

I'm guessing that by today, they're not even writing notes down any more and just use a pre made check list and check off the most appropriate notes, and those get recorded.

Again, not meant to account for every defect. Just to give a general idea of where the next grader should keep an eye out for.

Understood...

However things change over time and when the competition is doing something that the paying customer desires then the original company can do one of two things. Ignore what it's paying customers ask for or continue on with their plan of action.

We want the notes. Despite whatever CGC meant for them to be, they are something different now. They are the notes that allow us to understand why a book is assessed at a certain grade. They are the notes that allow us to have a better look at the interiors of a sealed book that we cannot see unless we break the casing of the slab. It removes an element of doubt when determining whether or not a purchase should be made.

The baseball card industry never had to provide notes because all negative aspects holding a card from a grade could be seen due to all sides of the card being visible. This is not true with the comic.

Free notes...

The competition is offering free notes. I have to say... I have been checking them out. It makes me far more willing to buy books in their slabs when I can make a more educated decision.

Furthermore... it leads me to believe that others are willing to do the same, so I will start submitting books to them to be graded. Because at the end of the day... I will know what service I actually paid for.

Yup agree 100%. Print the notes on the label, charge to see them online.

Understood...

Free notes...

Sure, only we are speaking towards two different points.

I'm trying to explain why the notes are the way they are, you're explaining the way you want them to be.

I agree that more detail, and not having to pay for it, would be best.

Understood...

Free notes...

I'm trying to explain why the notes are the way they are, you're explaining the way you want them to be.

At this point I do not mind if they are as vague or non descript as they currently are. They should be free to those who submitted the books.

There is no rational reason other than a money grab that CGC shouldn't make available the notes they have, as they currently exist, free to the person who submitted the book.

Roy, a year ago, they could say, "If you don't like it, then go somewhere else."

They cannot say that anymore. And if anything, I am glad the boys in Franklin's Tower appear to have them ting in their oatmeal* because it will help act as a catalyst for progressive change for both companies. Franklin's Tower arrives and we see a few significant changes in CGC for the first time in awhile. Rollback of moderns, changes to purple labels and so on. What we really wanted was notes. The ball is in CGC's court. Let's see what happens.

*Because every time they nuke a thread that mentions Franklin's Tower and not PGX it conveys fear not protection of their brand

CGC charging for grader's notes is a joke and always has been. They should be available on line, and for free. :sumo:

I tend to agree with this. Here's my #1 problem. They never had a CONSISTENT way of using notes. As you may recall one book may get absolutely NO GRADER notes, while another one in same grade will. To add to this, different graders used different ways to document notes....this was on the first million or so books before they supposedly "standardized" on what the grader's notes will carry.

In short, if they could provide consistency in how/what they document, and bring the required information to the table, I'd have NO PROBLEM paying the fee. As it last sat when I last discussed this with you guys, it was a no go....and looks like still is.

I would also suggest that grader's notes should ALWAYS be available for FREE to the original submitter. I understand why they don't however because the seller could broker this as part of a sale and CGC would get no benefit.

I wish the notes were free too, but a couple of these saved me a fair bit of money, so :shrug:

And that's the name of the game. You have to pay to play. Everything else is really just a convenience.

Didn't CGC originally offer free Grader's Notes? High grade Moderns has been my thing so I've never had to request Grader's notes. I seem to remember them getting slammed by people requesting notes on possible press and flip books (mostly GA/SA/BA).

Understood...

Free notes...

At this point I do not mind if they are as vague or non descript as they currently are. They should be free to those who submitted the books.

There is no rational reason other than a money grab that CGC shouldn't make available the notes they have, as they currently exist, free to the person who submitted the book.

Roy, a year ago, they could say, "If you don't like it, then go somewhere else."

They cannot say that anymore. And if anything, I am glad the boys in Franklin's Tower appear to have them ting in their oatmeal* because it will help act as a catalyst for progressive change for both companies. Franklin's Tower arrives and we see a few significant changes in CGC for the first time in awhile. Rollback of moderns, changes to purple labels and so on. What we really wanted was notes. The ball is in CGC's court. Let's see what happens.

*Because every time they nuke a thread that mentions Franklin's Tower and not PGX it conveys fear not protection of their brand

Really? I'd venture a guess and say that far more people care about the rollback of the modern tier to 1975 than whether the graders' notes are free or not. I personally would much rather have CGC focus on getting the turnaround times back on track ...