• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

"Under-valued" is a highly over-used if not abused word just like when I read someone write in a sale's thread "could use a press." :pullhair:  In short everyone is panning for gold in the same river these days (no pun intended).  There are no secrets or mysteries to this market.  If it is a first appearance then trust me someone is focusing on it as we communicate.  The problem remains that most collectors don't want to jump on a book if they see no one else making a move on it.  The irony of individual collectors calling out a book publicly as under-valued is they aren't sure themselves if it is truly priced right because otherwise if they believed there own hype - they would buy multiple copies of it first before calling attention to it.  Finally no matter what happens to this market by the end of this year or next or in 10 years - I will always hold firm that the greatest keys to own were always the greatest S.A. keys to own from day #1 - i.e. TOS39, AF15, HULK1, SHOWCASE4, BB28 etc etc..  and these IMO very high prices on 1st appearances of SO-SO characters, who until not so long ago were tertiary heroes is where the shaky money lies.  My lousy 2 cents.  :preach:

4 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

I thought clea came up on a toy style guide for multiverse

if we are thinking of the same thing, there was a character who COULD have been Clea, yes. But the movie has wrapped and no casting info, when we have casting for America Chavez and others who are in it.

4 hours ago, Roger66 said:

"Under-valued" is a highly over-used if not abused word just like when I read someone write in a sale's thread "could use a press." :pullhair:  In short everyone is panning for gold in the same river these days (no pun intended).  There are no secrets or mysteries to this market.  If it is a first appearance then trust me someone is focusing on it as we communicate.  The problem remains that most collectors don't want to jump on a book if they see no one else making a move on it.  The irony of individual collectors calling out a book publicly as under-valued is they aren't sure themselves if it is truly priced right because otherwise if they believed there own hype - they would buy multiple copies of it first before calling attention to it.  Finally no matter what happens to this market by the end of this year or next or in 10 years - I will always hold firm that the greatest keys to own were always the greatest S.A. keys to own from day #1 - i.e. TOS39, AF15, HULK1, SHOWCASE4, BB28 etc etc..  and these IMO very high prices on 1st appearances of SO-SO characters, who until not so long ago were tertiary heroes is where the shaky money lies.  My lousy 2 cents.  :preach:

Calling a book undervalued can be very informative at times. For years, people said this about Marvel Special Edition 15. Even they would not have seen the price increase that comes with his movie coming. I can think of many books that are undervalued. In saying that, I mean that they share the characteristics that propel other books but, for whatever reason, have not been the book of the moment. Strange Tales 135 is undervalued. So is Nick Fury, Agent of Shield 1. So is Wolverine 10. I can go on, but the point people are likely making when saying that is, buy this book at the price it is being offered for, and the future looks bright. I've sold many books I knew were going up, but that doesn't mean it didn't make sense for me to sell them. Characters come into their own more now than ever. Look at Guardians of the Galaxy. It wasn't even the original incarnation that blew up but a reboot of a reboot. That doesn't have to matter, but they're not tertiary anymore. Of course, a lot of those statements prove not to work out so dramatically, and basically everything went up since the start of the pandemic. It might be true to say that comics in general were undervalued 16 months ago, but I don't know it is so informative. At the same time, a lot of people buy on speculation, for better or worse, and the idea that some issue has been sitting around overlooked might make it worth the hedge of it exploding in value. I do try to look for books I think are undervalued and find nice copies for cheap, now. I paid $65 for a raw Strange Tales 169 because I thought it was undervalued. It came back a 9.2, I sold it, and it was still undervalued then. Now, I'm not so sure it is anymore.

As for pressing, I, myself, will often state when a book would improve with a press. A lot of people get books pressed and get improved grades. A book in Fine condition that could improve with a press is better than one that is tight and flat. I do not press books myself, so while I might realize it would help, I often sell them unpressed. What the buyer does is up to them, but there is value in the possibility. If you don't press books, the statement doesn't matter to you anyway. If you are someone who looks to buy to improve, grade and flip, it might make a lot of sense to seek out books that will improve with a press. 

2c

1 hour ago, PeterPark said:

As for pressing, I, myself, will often state when a book would improve with a press. A lot of people get books pressed and get improved grades. A book in Fine condition that could improve with a press is better than one that is tight and flat. I do not press books myself, so while I might realize it would help, I often sell them unpressed. What the buyer does is up to them, but there is value in the possibility. If you don't press books, the statement doesn't matter to you anyway. If you are someone who looks to buy to improve, grade and flip, it might make a lot of sense to seek out books that will improve with a press. 

I disagree. I don't press books, nor do I advertise them as having pressing potential. I don't believe in the practice or the purpose. Plain. And. Simple. Nor do I demonize those who do - to each his own. :foryou:

Edited by divad

9 minutes ago, divad said:

I disagree. I don't press books, nor do I advertise them as having pressing potential. I don't believe in the practice or the purpose. Plain. And. Simple. Nor do I demonize those who do - to each his own. :foryou:

I bought a collection with improperly stored books. Many of them do not have color-breaking creases but do have waviness, kind of like stacking curls, that could improve with a press. If people who press are looking for them, I try to make it easy. I'd press them myself if I did such things.

I have been waiting a decade to say this but....

Daredevil 3 is actually hot now!!!!!!!!

Yeah, can't believe it either, that book always looked like a dud, selling for less than guide. And that's even after The Owl actually appeared in the Netflix show. But lo and behold, it just sold for more than double guide on HA.

image.thumb.png.51e2f2fef5b81bc29e86820169e1db68.png

image.thumb.png.db20dd65e6ebd8c1b627524a88c228c0.png

17 hours ago, William-James88 said:

LOL, wut?! 

image.thumb.png.cc0731d6ac553d7c78f02589b3f6e4e5.png

what have you been under a rock or something for six months? i just sold a ff5 5.0 for 16k last month. this book's been on fire for awhile now. 

as for gpa, its still, sadly, far better than gocollect who take forever adding sales data. i just track books i am interested in, or which i own, on CL and take screen shots of them when they end. it's imperfect but it helps. but i agree that gpa is far from complete without that data.