• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2021 at 11:14 PM, Wolverinex said:
On 6/25/2021 at 11:12 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not 100% sure that it's Wong, are you?

Yes.  I am.  Who else could it be?  

If it's not Wong I sure don't want to be right

This is probably old news, but I recently picked up a ASM 43 and was surprised when I researched it on GPA and a few other sites. It's gone up quite a bit, presumably due to first Full Mary Jane and Peter and her first date. I found this one at the LCS and while their books are usually very reasonable, this one turned out to be especially so ... lucky for once, I guess. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This is probably old news, but I recently picked up a ASM 43 and was surprised when I researched it on GPA and a few other sites. It's gone up quite a bit, GOD BLESS...

I found that out at a local shop that has usually been very fair about pricing. I saw a battered copy of ASM 43 and saw 20 on the sticker. Only when it was handed to me could I see another zero. $200!

During one of my adult forays into comics, I met a guy someplace (LCS maybe - can't remember) and we went to some Estate Sales and the like for a while.  The primary memory of him is that he was "talked into" buying a beautiful ASM 43 by "a guy" when he couldn't really afford it.  He tried to sell it to me, but man it seemed really expensive.  Would have been by far the most expensive comic I'd ever bought.  He wanted $40.

2 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

Interesting. I wonder if it’s surpassing 42? Outside of the iconic final panel of 42, 43 is the superior book (story/cover) in my opinion. 

It seems to be at about 75-80% of 42. It's probably too early to tell. The one I got is an easy 8.5 and I keep looking it over to see what I must be missing.... but all ad pages are there, doesn't seem to be trimmed, no touch ups, or tear seals.... GOD BLESS....

.. in a way, it's a lot like Hulk 181, with ASM 42 being very similar to Hulk 180, except fandom embraced the opposites.

Edited by jimjum12

3 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

During one of my adult forays into comics, I met a guy someplace (LCS maybe - can't remember) and we went to some Estate Sales and the like for a while.  The primary memory of him is that he was "talked into" buying a beautiful ASM 43 by "a guy" when he couldn't really afford it.  He tried to sell it to me, but man it seemed really expensive.  Would have been by far the most expensive comic I'd ever bought.  He wanted $40.

Many years ago, probably in the 80s, I bought a ASM 33 for $20. I'd never paid anywhere close to that for a comic book. Plus it had the front to back miswrap that ASM 33s commonly have. I felt like I got ripped off.

I don't feel that way today. :smile:

18 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This is probably old news, but I recently picked up a ASM 43 and was surprised when I researched it on GPA and a few other sites. It's gone up quite a bit, presumably due to first Full Mary Jane and Peter and her first date. I found this one at the LCS and while their books are usually very reasonable, this one turned out to be especially so ... lucky for once, I guess. GOD BLESS...

39,41,43,44,46 have all been blasting away since roughly last year. Maybe throw in 40 to a lesser extent. 

On 6/29/2021 at 10:42 AM, jimjum12 said:

It seems to be at about 75-80% of 42. It's probably too early to tell. The one I got is an easy 8.5 and I keep looking it over to see what I must be missing.... but all ad pages are there, doesn't seem to be trimmed, no touch ups, or tear seals.... GOD BLESS....

.. in a way, it's a lot like Hulk 181, with ASM 42 being very similar to Hulk 180, except fandom embraced the opposites.

MJ's intro being diluted over several potential keys makes it difficult to choose the stand out, and not necessarily subject to the Wolverine rule, in my thinking.  I pick 42, 43 essentially being her fourth appearance.

Also, with 42's cover and story, I think it could be valued as a John Jameson key should Man-Wolf's popularity really take off, it being his first cover appearance and therein acquiring a super-powered identity that predates Man-Wolf/Stargod.