• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2021 at 8:11 PM, musicmeta said:

I hear a lot talking about Heritage, CLink, ComicConnect and I guess Pedigree but what about Mycomicshop?  Are they becoming more and more relevant for auctions on Silver Age books with regards to generating the same hammer prices as the others?

I’ve rarely seen anything good in their auctions in terms of SA keys… if there are keys they’re usually very low grade. Most of their weekly auction is nudie covers from what I’ve seen 😂

On 11/11/2021 at 5:32 PM, dikran1 said:

I’ve rarely seen anything good in their auctions in terms of SA keys… if there are keys they’re usually very low grade. Most of their weekly auction is nudie covers from what I’ve seen 😂

I agree (but will have to look more carefully for the "nudie covers" which, while not something I actively collect, is certainly an interest of mine).  Most MCS auctions seem to feature mid-to-low grade Silver Age books, key or not.  I have picked up higher grade Golden Age books in MCS auctions, however.

Posted this in another TOS39 related thread, but certainly of interest here. This has passed the 'heating up' phase for a coverless book and went straight to inferno fire with the ending of tonights clink auction.

I've been saying of all coverless keys to get, this was the one that was undervalued the most - especially with it having the single best first page of ALL silver age keys (even AF15. This has it all - giant full page iconic art splash (no other distracting panels!!), character name at top like a masthead, clear list of credits that include Stan Lee, and a fun awesome intro text box) but this was a price jump I wasn't expecting (I had hoped to 'overpay' by bidding a generous $2,000 so I could pick up another one for my collection but hot damn), this is triple what they were going for earlier this year.1644113165_ScreenShot2021-11-17at10_03_06PM.thumb.png.e4739ba43b9ffbddb1e82e37821595cc.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 11/17/2021 at 10:34 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Posted this in another TOS39 related thread, but certainly of interest here. This has passed the 'heating up' phase for a coverless book and went straight to inferno fire with the ending of tonights clink auction.

I've been saying of all coverless keys to get, this was the one that was undervalued the most - especially with it having the single best first page of ALL silver age keys (even AF15. This has it all - giant full page iconic art splash (no other distracting panels!!), character name at top like a masthead, clear list of credits that include Stan Lee, and a fun awesome intro text box) but this was a price jump I wasn't expecting (I had hoped to 'overpay' by bidding a generous $2,000 so I could pick up another one for my collection but hot damn), this is triple what they were going for earlier this year.1644113165_ScreenShot2021-11-17at10_03_06PM.thumb.png.e4739ba43b9ffbddb1e82e37821595cc.png

So coverless copies are going for as much as much as low grade restored copies? 

I do agree, it's a tremendous splash page. Actually, the splash is better than the cover. 

A coverless copy of this book could be found pretty commonly for under $1k not long ago. I had looked at a few, but didn't pull the trigger last year. 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:14 AM, KCOComics said:

I do agree, it's a tremendous splash page. Actually, the splash is better than the cover. 

A coverless copy of this book could be found pretty commonly for under $1k not long ago. I had looked at a few, but didn't pull the trigger last year. 

Yup, I too was on the hunt for a copy last year but honestly only ever saw two complete listings that were reasonably priced  (one on the boards that I missed for $1k, and the other on Ebay which I bought. I overpaid slightly on GPA at the time since I wanted a very specific looking one with great page quality and no defects on the front page). The others I kept seeing below $1k were missing pages, specifically parts of the Iron Man story so figured of all pages it best to have those so I passed on all of em.

This new pricing does make sense to me and honestly isn't a surprise (except for how soon it is happening), as I have been seeing less and less 'affordable' low grade copies hit the market and people are needing to battle it out in bidding wars to now get any copy within their budget. I can see it being on the same trajectory as AF15, as a NG/Coverless/Missing Pages copy of that went for $6,350 earlier this year which is much more affordable than a 0.5 Incomplete at $21,600.

I do see why it it went for almost as much as a restored copy in this case (the restored copy had a good deal of tape, had three hole punches through the entire book, and on the cover those holes were filled in with crappy paper and lots of color touch the looked to have bled through everywhere - so even if you removed the cover the insides most certainly were also wrecked up). This was the other copy that ended a few minutes before this NG copy. It still looks good and I would be happy to own it, but for many others the stigma of restoration, especially janky amateur quality, is strong.

1143300740_ScreenShot2021-11-17at10_06_08PM.thumb.png.8858b7e8c36c97dd3e037003d30d6429.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 11/18/2021 at 9:48 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Yup, I too was on the hunt for a copy last year but honestly only ever saw two complete listings that were reasonably priced  (one on the boards that I missed for $1k, and the other on Ebay which I bought. I overpaid slightly on GPA at the time since I wanted a very specific looking one with great page quality and no defects on the front page). The others I kept seeing below $1k were missing pages, specifically parts of the Iron Man story so figured of all pages it best to have those so I passed on all of em.

This new pricing does make sense to me and honestly isn't a surprise (except for how soon it is happening), as I have been seeing less and less 'affordable' low grade copies hit the market and people are needing to battle it out in bidding wars to now get any copy within their budget. I can see it being on the same trajectory as AF15, as a NG/Coverless/Missing Pages copy of that went for $6,350 earlier this year which is much more affordable than a 0.5 Incomplete at $21,600.

I do see why it it went for almost as much as a restored copy in this case (the restored copy had a good deal of tape, had three hole punches through the entire book, and on the cover those holes were filled in with crappy paper and lots of color touch the looked to have bled through everywhere - so even if you removed the cover the insides most certainly were also wrecked up). This was the other copy that ended a few minutes before this NG copy. It still looks good and I would be happy to own it, but for many others the stigma of restoration, especially janky amateur quality, is strong.

1143300740_ScreenShot2021-11-17at10_06_08PM.thumb.png.8858b7e8c36c97dd3e037003d30d6429.png

The two copies you listed were the same two I was tracking lol. Congrats on picking up the ebay one. 

The one listed on the boards really caught my attention.  That splash page looks so good slabbed! 

A year or two ago I bought a restored copy. Really poor amateur resto on an otherwise beautiful copy. So I sent it to Kenny to have him clean up the resto. Still restored,  but it went from poor amateur resto,  too beautiful professional resto. 

I'll probably keep that book forever,  but I would love to add a blue label. 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:24 AM, KCOComics said:

The two copies you listed were the same two I was tracking lol. Congrats on picking up the ebay one. 

The one listed on the boards really caught my attention.  That splash page looks so good slabbed! 

A year or two ago I bought a restored copy. Really poor amateur resto on an otherwise beautiful copy. So I sent it to Kenny to have him clean up the resto. Still restored,  but it went from poor amateur resto,  too beautiful professional resto. 

I'll probably keep that book forever,  but I would love to add a blue label. 

Nice - I do regret not being faster and buying that other board copy. ARRGGG!

I've made peace with not having a blue label again (except for my NG coverless copy which scratch the low-grade itch), so with the CGC 0.5 universal one I do own I opted to send it out for the full-works restoration and see how high we can take the book so I can have at mid/high grade copy to display forever. It just got done taking a bath (no more massive tape stains). I

1.thumb.jpeg.53675b40f490583c4af21835a8b14852.jpeg

On 11/18/2021 at 3:14 AM, KCOComics said:

I picked up 2 coverless NG copies at the beginning of last year for $1k each. Traded one away 3 months ago for an MS5. At $4k I wouldn't mind getting rid of my other copy since I still have a blue label complete.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:07 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Nice - I do regret not being faster and buying that other board copy. ARRGGG!

I've made peace with not having a blue label again (except for my NG coverless copy which scratch the low-grade itch), so with the CGC 0.5 universal one I do own I opted to send it out for the full-works restoration and see how high we can take the book so I can have at mid/high grade copy to display forever. It just got done taking a bath (no more massive tape stains). I

1.thumb.jpeg.53675b40f490583c4af21835a8b14852.jpeg

I would love to see how it comes out! 

On 11/1/2021 at 11:15 PM, speedcake said:

That's fine and dandy, but at the end of the day he copied someone else's composition, their art, claimed it as his own and never bothered to mention/credit the artists he stole from as "his" art was and continues to be hung in prominent museums around the world.  Seeing those panels recreated in a different medium, in the large format they are presented in, IS interesting and thought provoking. And that is the tragedy, as well.

Screw him, honestly. He deserves any derision he gets. 

I have a useless art degree from a prominent university so I am an expert.  :roflmao:

What type of "art" degree that you have?

Sounds like a commercial one which may not be so worthless.

Edited by FatComicMafia

On 12/7/2021 at 10:15 AM, Math Teacher said:

Especially if it was the Spectre that appeared when Michael L. Fleisher was the writer.

I’m thinking of the early tales in More Fun by Bernard Bailey. Such twisted and bizzare endings for the wrong doers. Some are almost Biblical. 

On 12/7/2021 at 2:50 PM, Robot Man said:

I’m thinking of the early tales in More Fun by Bernard Bailey. Such twisted and bizzare endings for the wrong doers. Some are almost Biblical. 

There's been talk for years about "Justice League Dark" .... which tentatively features Swamp Thing, Phantom Stranger, Constantine, Spectre, Deadman, and The Demon ... I'm still waiting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12