• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?
5 5

345 posts in this topic

HoRQ38A.jpg

I think you could have a show called 'the Braddocks' centered around young adults Betsy and Brian Braddock at a Uni in England, as Betsy struggles with and hides her powers, Brian's early transformation to Captain Britain. Toss in the shapeshifting Meggan as the guide/love interest of Brian, some Pete Wisdom as their govt liaison/watcher. Make it more about magic or knights or something, England style.

That concept art that folks were thinking is fake - it's actually a pitch for a show.

That CAPTAIN BRITAIN TV Show Is Actually A Producer's Pitch To Marvel

Chris Lark, one of the producer's who commissioned Ciara McAvoy to produce concept art for the Captain Britain TV show has finally explained what exactly is happening with the project. Apparently, Lark's production company, Cool Mint Productions, is putting together a highlight reel as part of a pitch to Marvel. Here's what Lark stated, [via Twitter]---

"Ladies & Gentlemen I'm here to confirm that I and my co-prod Eleni Larchanidou are working on a Highlight Reel for a TV series based on the Marvel Comics character #CaptainBritain for 2017. Right now we are in very early stages of development for this idea and working on things like the budget for this Reel to take to Marvel for 2017 with hopes of them helping us with the series. Thank you so much for your interest in #CaptainBritain and expect more news later this year and early in 2017. Thanks so much also to @CiaraMcAvoy1 for her help with this series project too."

It's not clear if Marvel is truly aware of this, and if it could lead to a situation where Fox and Marvel need to work out TV rights.

UPDATE: Refreshing the page.

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

Is there any reason to think X-23 isn't with Fox? The contract supposedly gives them rights to any future mutants created by Marvel after the contract was originally created, which supposedly is also why Marvel has held back on creating mutants the past few years. Miller also refers in your linked article to X-23 being "in the Fox family."

Is there any reason to think X-23 isn't with Fox? The contract supposedly gives them rights to any future mutants created by Marvel after the contract was originally created, which supposedly is also why Marvel has held back on creating mutants the past few years. Miller also refers in your linked article to X-23 being "in the Fox family."

She is most probably a shoe-in for the X-Franchise since this has been her extensive involvement in the Marvel Universe. But with Marvel properties, it doesn't hurt to question any fringe news until the final details come out.

UPDATE: Added the recent Deadline interview with Kevin Feige where he addresses the ease with which Marvel could make a standalone Hulk film.

CONFIRMED:

20th Century Fox

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

Since this has come up a few times on a standalone Hulk movie, and if Marvel really requires Universal's partnership.

Kevin Feige On ‘Captain America: Civil War’ And All Things Marvel

DEADLINE: Mark Ruffalo brightens up the Avengers. What has to happen for us to get a stand-alone, Mark Ruffalo Hulk film?

FEIGE: Well, those are contractual things that I’m not entirely attuned to. Disney and Universal would need to come to an agreement to allow Marvel to do a stand-alone Hulk film for Disney. What’s so great, and as you just said, Ruffalo lights up any room he’s in, any Twitter feed he’s engaged in and any movie that he’s in. It’s just a great pleasure to have him in The Avengers films and as you know his next appearance will be in Thor: Ragnarok, which is a whole other type of fun Hulk adventure for him that we can’t wait to get started on.

I surely wish Marvel studios would get film rights for Namor back from Universal.

I feel he's sorely missed in the MCU.

I would really like to see something with Namor in it. Although probably not a dedicated movie to start out. The Civil War writing team brought him up recently.

"Captain America: Civil War" Screenwriters Want to Work with Namors

In "Captain America: Civil War," screenwriters Chris Markus and Steve McFeely were tasked with bringing big name characters -- like Spider-Man and Black Panther -- into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, they revealed a few more characters they'd like to introduce to the MCU.

When asked who he'd like to see at Marvel down the line, McFeely said, "Namor. He is kind of a jerk and has a chip on his shoulder and he is a king and lives underwater. The degree of difficulty is so high, though. 'Cause it could be a great movie or it could be truly terrible."

Blend him in with the some of the other established characters and this could be quite interesting.

:wishluck:

Consider the number of people on these very boards who moan about Tony Stark/RDJ being annoying, or who said that the new Spidey was annoying in his 15 minutes in CW - they'd practically spontaneously com-bust if Namor got some screen time.

I surely wish Marvel studios would get film rights for Namor back from Universal.

I feel he's sorely missed in the MCU.

Definitely - and with Atlantis would open up a whole new world to explore in the MCU.

I would like Namor if he was a villain. the MCU is in a need of some good, compelling villains. Civil War, while good, also lacked a good villain.

He could be a great Loki-esque antivillain. The kind of guy who will always act out of self-preservation, but will probably wind up fighting against Thanos.

Edited by TheLiamSturgess

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Kevin Feige has clearly pointed out even last year the Namor movie rights are not so straightforward. Quesada sounds like he was just speaking as if he knew all the details.

Joe Quesada Says Marvel Studios Has the Rights to Namor

While Fox and Sony are the most famous beneficiaries of Marvel’s early film licensing deals, those studios aren’t the only ones who sought potentially hot Marvel properties in the pre-Iron Man days. One of those characters is Namor, the Sub-Mariner, which was licensed years ago by Universal Studios but never developed into a film. Unlike some of the more famous licensed properties, the contracts with Universal apparently remained valid even though years passed without a movie release.

This may have changed recently, however. Marvel’s Chief Creative Officer, Joe Quesada, revealed that the Namor film rights are back with Marvel Studios… to the best of his knowledge.

Appearing on Kevin Smith’s Fat Man on Batman podcast, Quesada was asked about Namor by Smith and his co-host Marc Bernardin. At first, Quesada seemed to think that they were asking about the character in the comics, replying:

“We do, he’s in the comics.”

Once it was clarified that the question concerned the film rights, Quesada confirmed that Marvel Studios had the rights to the character:

Smith: No, what studio. How come you guys aren’t diving into the water. Do the same people who have Iron Man have Sub Mariner?”

Quesada: “Yes, as far as I know - yes we do. Yeah, it’s not at Fox, it’s not at Sony.”

This isn’t the solid confirmation that fans were likely hoping for, however. In addition to sounding like he isn’t quire sure which studio has the rights, the mention of Fox and Sony but not Universal suggests that Quesada may not be as up-to-date on the situation as one might expect.

At least he's right about Namor not being at Fox - not being at Sony.

(: