• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies/TV/Video Games Subforum General Discussion Thread
7 7

517 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2023 at 4:02 PM, Bosco685 said:

@TupennyConan I blame you for content like this because of your dastardly thread

:baiting:

If you’re not listening to the All The Right Movies podcast you are absolutely missing out!  These guys do a fantastic job with deep dives into a films cast, crew, production, plot etc.  They dropped an episode last week on Die Hard, one of my favorite Christmas movies! 🎅🏼

So, I re-watched Avengers (2012) just because it was playing on Television, and I have to say it was an incredibly well written and well filmed movie compared to the newer Captain Marvel movie I saw a few weeks ago. 

The difference when you watch the two is astounding to me.  

The little, intricate sub-plots throughout the movie were more interesting, the dialogue and banter was far more complex and nuanced.

The newer movies feel more watered down whereas the old ones had some real "oomph" and depth behind them, that comes through in the movie. Maybe the creative teams weren't spread as thin in the early years?

Or maybe it's just that the team necessitated more complexity rather than focus on one character and maybe that's why it's a little more complex. 

This is really the only older MCU flick I've rewatched in quite a while, so I don't want to be dogmatic about it, but has anyone else noticed a large difference between the production and writing of the earlier movies and the later ones?

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/18/2023 at 10:23 PM, VintageComics said:

So, I re-watched Avengers (2012) just because it was playing on Television, and I have to say it was an incredibly well written and well filmed movie compared to the newer Captain Marvel movie I saw a few weeks ago. 

The difference when you watch the two is astounding to me.  

The little, intricate sub-plots throughout the movie were more interesting, the dialogue and banter was far more complex and nuanced.

The newer movies feel more watered down whereas the old ones had some real "oomph" and depth behind them, that comes through in the movie. Maybe the creative teams weren't spread as thin in the early years?

Or maybe it's just that the team necessitated more complexity rather than focus on one character and maybe that's why it's a little more complex. 

This is really the only older MCU flick I've rewatched in quite a while, so I don't want to be dogmatic about it, but has anyone else noticed a large difference between the production and writing of the earlier movies and the later ones?

Prior to Mavel's Avengers, the early MCU films bounced around when it comes to revenue ratios. After that, the trend became much more positive and strong.

image.thumb.png.2160b58f9e2c94da7a22cd80e0e77a96.png

Some say it offered up the story structure going forward that MCU films became popular for offering up. Including the dropping of Thanos spots to build up toward the massive Infinity Saga culmination.

Jonathan Majors loses string of lucrative deals

On Monday, Majors was found guilty in a Manhattan court of assault and aggravated harassment. Almost immediately, Disney and Marvel announced that they would no longer be working with the California native. Majors has maintained his innocence on the charges. At court, he was acquitted of one count of assault. 

Around the time of his original arrest, a US Army recruitment campaign launched starring Majors. The ads were pulled on March 26 'until the investigation into these allegations is complete.' 

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Majors was hired for the ads because of his appeal to Generation Z. Less than a month later, Variety reported that Majors was dropped by his talent agency, Entertainment 360. He also lost his public relations team at the Lede Company around this time. 

Majors also missed out on a prestigious ticket to the Met Gala as a guest of Italian fashion brand, Valentino. The two parties apparently 'mutually agreed' that he would not attend the A-list event. 

Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers also cut Majors from an advertising deal around this time. Majors spent formative years in the Dallas area and was a fan of the team.

The actor was also dropped from the upcoming The Man in my Basement, an adaptation of the Walter Mosley novel. His role is being recast. It was also widely reported that he's no longer in the running for Otis and Zelma, the Otis Redding biopic. 

The Yale School of Drama graduate also starred as a troubled amateur bodybuilder in Magazine Dreams, which made an acclaimed debut at the Sundance Film Festival in January and was set to open in theaters this month. 

Ahead of Majors' trial, Disney-owned distributor Searchlight Pictures removed Magazine Dreams from its release calendar. 

Before his arrest, Majors had been on track to become a central figure throughout the Marvel Cinematic Universe, playing the antagonist role of Kang. Majors had already appeared in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and the first two seasons of Loki. He was to star in Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, dated for release in May 2026. 

Majors has also reportedly been removed from the Gotham Film and Media Institute board and the Sidney Poitier initiative, although at the time of writing, his name still appears as a member on the charity's website.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

Some say it offered up the story structure going forward that MCU films became popular for offering up. Including the dropping of Thanos spots to build up toward the massive Infinity Saga culmination.

Right. Avengers and the surrounding movies all felt like they had momentum building toward something.

Captain Marvel felt like a "cash grab" as though they were just throwing the movie in to fill some space, but wasn't a part of the actual Endgame model. 

It just felt a bit more hollow and aimless. 

On 12/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, VintageComics said:
On 12/19/2023 at 7:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

Right. Avengers and the surrounding movies all felt like they had momentum building toward something.

Captain Marvel felt like a "cash grab" as though they were just throwing the movie in to fill some space, but wasn't a part of the actual Endgame model. 

It just felt a bit more hollow and aimless. 

Merry Christmas to everyone, wasn't sure where to post this link, as in some ways its just more chum in the water of a hundred other threads on a number of recent Disney movies, I don't think anyone will find the conclusion surprising, but thought this was a good relatively quick overview

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20231221-disney-at-100-why-the-mouse-house-flopped-hard-in-its-centenary-year

On 12/26/2023 at 11:37 AM, crassus said:

Merry Christmas to everyone, wasn't sure where to post this link, as in some ways its just more chum in the water of a hundred other threads on a number of recent Disney movies, I don't think anyone will find the conclusion surprising, but thought this was a good relatively quick overview

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20231221-disney-at-100-why-the-mouse-house-flopped-hard-in-its-centenary-year

Conclusion? Make better films. Well duh, we've been saying that here for years. lol

The central point for the MCU that everything post Avengers / Infinity Saga feels like a post script is bang on. It doesn't feel like they're building toward anything. Every Avengers related movies had this internal sense of inertia that you could sense, almost like a Christopher Nolan movie, where every movie has it's own internal clock, and you know it's ticking and time is running out. 

This internal sense of inertia and movement is missing from the last batch of MCU movies. 

Thanks for posting that, Canuckie. (thumbsu

On 12/31/2023 at 11:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

@Buzzetta day in the life at the NY MTA?

Are you trying to set me off? lol   It's everything depicted in this video and more. 

That subway video is cut off for this guy's video.   Here is the full version.    I believe that this is the J, M, Z line after it is leaving the Marcy Avenue Stop heading to Manhattan.  One of the kids in the full length video would go on to die after falling off the train subway surfing on the nearby L train at Broadway Junction. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CooFGU2DpLh/?igsh=YTdmYTgyZDdmNQ%3D%3D

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/31/2023 at 11:26 AM, Buzzetta said:

Are you trying to set me off? lol   It's everything depicted in this video and more. 

That subway video is cut off for this guy's video.   Here is the full version.    I believe that this is the J, M, Z line after it is leaving the Marcy Avenue Stop heading to Manhattan.  One of the kids in the full length video would go on to die after falling off the train subway surfing on the nearby L train at Broadway Junction. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CooFGU2DpLh/?igsh=YTdmYTgyZDdmNQ%3D%3D

NYMan giving FloridaMan and run for his money.