• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies/TV/Video Games Subforum General Discussion Thread
7 7

517 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2023 at 5:06 PM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, whole lot of non-topic stuff being posted in movie threads very (very) recently.

Dude, I have ALWAYS posted this way. For nearly 20 years nobody cared. Now all of a sudden 'everyone' cares.

Well, everyone except the dozens of people who keep either agreeing or quoting and adding to my points. 

Would you like me to find 1000 off topic discussions in threads for you that aren't caused by me to ease your pain? :screwy:

Bosco posts 100 memes a minute that have nothing to do with movies and gets a pass? 

Get off my ***favorite play toy*** and just ignore what you don't like. It's really simple. 

On 11/17/2023 at 5:55 PM, VintageComics said:

Dude, I have ALWAYS posted this way. For nearly 20 years nobody cared. Now all of a sudden 'everyone' cares.

Well, everyone except the dozens of people who keep either agreeing or quoting and adding to my points. 

Would you like me to find 1000 off topic discussions in threads for you that aren't caused by me to ease your pain? :screwy:

Bosco posts 100 memes a minute that have nothing to do with movies and gets a pass? 

Get off my ***favorite play toy*** and just ignore what you don't like. It's really simple. 

And where did I say it was you?  I didn't call out any names, but if the shoe fits.

And it is kind of hard to "ignore" what I don't like when the entire thread gets nuked for being off topic.

On 11/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, media_junkie said:

And where did I say it was you?  I didn't call out any names, but if the shoe fits.

And it is kind of hard to "ignore" what I don't like when the entire thread gets nuked for being off topic.

Fair points.

You can understand why I thought it was me, right? lol

If it wasn't me then I genuinely apologize. :foryou:

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, media_junkie said:

I didn't call out any names, but if the shoe fits.

Well, I guess "it wasn't me" but my apology fell on deaf ears, so....anyway...

----------------------------------------

I'm going to move a post OUT of the Daredevil thread and into here to not take the Daredevil thread OT and offend people who obviously can't just ignore what they don't like. 

On 11/17/2023 at 6:16 PM, VintageComics said:

I'm at a point where I just can't be bothered to watch mediocre stuff anymore. I'm old and my time is limited! lol

I've cut out the majority of my television and will usually only catch either an old movie I love or something new if I really feel it's worth my time. 

Every once in a while I come across a hidden gem that I think is great, or someone recommends something like the ARQ Sci Fi movie Paqart recommended which was incredible, for example. I'd NEVER have watched that movie otherwise but I thought it was better than anything Disney put out in the last 3-5 years (honestly).

And it was low budget - like $2MIL. The entire movie was pretty much filmed in one house. I normally HATE movies that are all filmed in one location such as movies all filmed in an airplane or a phone booth, but this movie was so well paced, well filmed and even well acted that it was GREAT. 

I just don't understand how someone can spend $2MIL and make a great film but "the pros" spend $250MIL and make a flop. The formula is absolutely broken and it needs to be thrown away and reinvented.

And that doesn't mean Feige needs to go. What it means is that Feige needs to be given total control with zero pressure from the bosses because THAT was the formula that worked. 

Feige may have "total control", wink, wink, but Iger (or Disney / Chapek / whatever outside forces there are that we previously discussed) ABSOLUTELY are still influencing Feige and it's apparent. They've openly admitted it. 

Even if it's just pressure to produce more content (as the execs yell from the back office "WE NEED ANOTHER RECORD") it is RUINING THE COMPANY.

The best art comes from the artist, not from the accountant. 

On 11/18/2023 at 7:39 AM, musicmeta said:

I liked the show "The Expanse" once I got past the first four episodes.  Nearly quit watching until episode five.  Series was awesome! 

This brings up another excellent point that is worth discussing about watching shows, although in by extension it really applies to every area of life.

Media has changed the behavior of society by shortening our attention spans so that we quite literally act like squirrels chasing a nut in every aspect of life, from relationships to entertainment and it really is causing a cumulative negative effect across society. This lack of attention span causes people to crave something they're not getting but keep doing the same thing to try to get it rather than alter their behavior. 

The parallel here would be the sugar effect on the physical body. The brain runs on glucose and craves it. When people feel down, they turn to quick hits of sugar like soda or candy. This send a quick dopamine hit making the brain feel "good" in the same way a drug would, until that simple sugar runs out and then they get a serotonin crash that is just as bad as before they took the sugar hit, so they hit it again and repeat the cycle. 

What the body REALLY wants is complex carbs that break down slowly and feed the entire body in a measured way that the body doesn't crash from and if you don't actually FORCE YOURSELF to ignore the sugar craving and with intent, seek out the more complex carb, you become a slave to the sugary dopamine hits and serotonin crashes. 

What happens, is you never really figure out what it feels like to feel "normal" and people quite literally spend their entire lives living in this unhealthy cycle.

The reason I made that parallel is because movies and television are exactly the same. 

People quite literally watch television craving those dopamine hits.

Once you start on a series of poor quality television that feeds those sugar cravings (like men watching terrible television just to see scantily clad women, or women watching shows just to watch horrible patterns of behavior like gossip and sex the way soap operas offer) people quite literally spend their entire lives feeding themselves these things.

When you put a show in front of them that's quite well written, a little more complex and is a slower burn they won't find it entertaining. lol

I see it with my younger kids, who are on their phones and can't pay attention through the first 45 minutes of a movie where all of the complex carbs are being offered. 

I try to really give a show or a movie a chance, like you did if I'm interested as sometimes I can be "won over" if the quality is there. 

Did anyone enjoy the movie 1917?

I just watched it and was pleasantly blown away at the cinematography, writing, dialogue and acting. 

On 11/18/2023 at 3:38 PM, VintageComics said:

I just watched it and was pleasantly blown away at the cinematography, writing, dialogue and acting. 

I was actually quite disappointed by it.

Surprisingly lightweight for a film about World War 1.

On 11/18/2023 at 9:38 AM, VintageComics said:

Well, I guess "it wasn't me" but my apology fell on deaf ears, so....anyway...

----------------------------------------

I'm going to move a post OUT of the Daredevil thread and into here to not take the Daredevil thread OT and offend people who obviously can't just ignore what they don't like. 

This brings up another excellent point that is worth discussing about watching shows, although in by extension it really applies to every area of life.

Media has changed the behavior of society by shortening our attention spans so that we quite literally act like squirrels chasing a nut in every aspect of life, from relationships to entertainment and it really is causing a cumulative negative effect across society. This lack of attention span causes people to crave something they're not getting but keep doing the same thing to try to get it rather than alter their behavior. 

The parallel here would be the sugar effect on the physical body. The brain runs on glucose and craves it. When people feel down, they turn to quick hits of sugar like soda or candy. This send a quick dopamine hit making the brain feel "good" in the same way a drug would, until that simple sugar runs out and then they get a serotonin crash that is just as bad as before they took the sugar hit, so they hit it again and repeat the cycle. 

What the body REALLY wants is complex carbs that break down slowly and feed the entire body in a measured way that the body doesn't crash from and if you don't actually FORCE YOURSELF to ignore the sugar craving and with intent, seek out the more complex carb, you become a slave to the sugary dopamine hits and serotonin crashes. 

What happens, is you never really figure out what it feels like to feel "normal" and people quite literally spend their entire lives living in this unhealthy cycle.

The reason I made that parallel is because movies and television are exactly the same. 

People quite literally watch television craving those dopamine hits.

Once you start on a series of poor quality television that feeds those sugar cravings (like men watching terrible television just to see scantily clad women, or women watching shows just to watch horrible patterns of behavior like gossip and sex the way soap operas offer) people quite literally spend their entire lives feeding themselves these things.

When you put a show in front of them that's quite well written, a little more complex and is a slower burn they won't find it entertaining. lol

I see it with my younger kids, who are on their phones and can't pay attention through the first 45 minutes of a movie where all of the complex carbs are being offered. 

I try to really give a show or a movie a chance, like you did if I'm interested as sometimes I can be "won over" if the quality is there. 

Yes, the wife and I really liked 1917.  Thought it was well filmed.  

On 11/18/2023 at 9:05 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I was actually quite disappointed by it.

Surprisingly lightweight for a film about World War 1.

What didn't you like about it?

I thought the scene when he came out of the building after shooting the sniper upstairs was pretty epic. As he was running through the ruins of that town, with that amber glow it was magical and very reminiscent of the Apocalypse Now to me. 

In fact, the way each scene was a mini-arc to itself and the flow actually felt like the movie was a tribute to Apocalypse.

On 11/18/2023 at 11:30 PM, musicmeta said:

Yes, the wife and I really liked 1917.  Thought it was well filmed.  

I found it very moving. 

On 11/19/2023 at 7:23 AM, VintageComics said:

What didn't you like about it?

I thought the scene when he came out of the building after shooting the sniper upstairs was pretty epic. As he was running through the ruins of that town, with that amber glow it was magical and very reminiscent of the Apocalypse Now to me. 

In fact, the way each scene was a mini-arc to itself and the flow actually felt like the movie was a tribute to Apocalypse.

I found it very moving. 

I just found it to be very tame, and not really representative of an horrendous, brutal conflict.