• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

it's been 50 YEARS...show us your books from 1965!

231 posts in this topic

Every time I see a cover to a Star Spangled War Stories (like above), it has a picture of a dinosaur or something like that. Is that series about dinosaurs?

Yes. The War that Time Forgot was a series that ran in Star Spangled War Stories between 1960 and 1968.

Wikipedia - The War that Time Forgot

It of course featured many fabulous covers by DC's stable of war artists including Russ Heath, Joe Kubert, and Andru & Esposito.

:cool:

12-07-2011105344PM.jpg

I had to check GCD to confirm that black bit was actually part of the cover - it looks like something a kid would do "just for fun".

Makes one wonder what the art and editorial process was that thought it was a good idea lol .

You are right Hep - pretty ordinary covers, although as far as Wonder Woman goes, it must be a challenge to make a great Egg Fu one.

If I might defend the artist's decision...

Patches on pants are visual shorthand for old, well worn pants -- indicating a worker. The patch as part of the spotting in the drawing to create weight also serves as the target for the broom handle. :grin:

Here are scans of a half dozen of my favourite DC covers from my collection cover dated December 1965:

13-08-2011113332AM.jpg

Greenlantern41.jpg

A redraw of Green Lantern 16. Star Sapphire's face though is unfortunately less attractive above.

20-09-201183953PM.jpg

Great concept above though the execution might have been improved!

16-09-2012101629PM.jpg

Rip20Huntr2029_zpsbztxcoff.jpg

03-08-2011112437PM.jpg

:cool: