• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Last one is one of the rarest rings I own. The Superman 1939 Action Comics Prize Ring. This was offered as a contest prize in only one 1939 issue of Action Comics. (A no-prize to one of you lucky owners of the 1939 issue that this was offered in and show me a photo of the offer).

I bought this at a flea market on a rainy day. A lady had it in a case with costume jewelry. She thought enough of it to want 50 bucks for it. I had never heard of one but it looked authentic and I hadn't got anything all day. I took a chance and bought it. It took be a couple of years to find out what it was. Used to go for insane money but due to the high prices, some more have come out of the woodwork. I would estimate 12-15 known examples. I'm happy and proud to own ot!

ringsupermanprize_zpshyigxjuu.jpg

I've held back a little on the buttons/premiums because this is a comic book forum and there doesn't seem to be much of an interest in this stuff. I don't think comic collectors really realize how rare these things are. Some were only offered a couple of times and are near impossible to find. They go hand in hand with the comic books themselves I think.

But since you asked... Here is the only Nedor premium I know of. Again, only offered a few months. The American Eagle Defenders button. There are definately fewer of these than an Action #1. I actually have two (because I look hard and most people don't know what it is). This is by far the nicest of the two:

americaneaglepin1_zps48502c86.jpg

I don't believe I ever posted any of these. Premium rings. These are very prized by premium collectors. Almost everybody had a ring. They are often are refered to as "decoder rings". There is only one true decoder ring I know of and it was made in the 1960's. There are some very creative and elaborate concepts with different features. Some just look cool. Here are just a few of mine.

Here is a group of baseball rings from the 1930's/1940's. Left to right top are Ted Williams "batter up" ring, Andy Pafco "scorekeeper" ring, and Babe Ruth ring. Bottom are the two Dizzy Dean rings.

ringsbaseball_zpsvyekvlct.jpg

Pafko at the wall! (As he will always be known to Giants fans!)

Here is the only Nedor premium I know of. Again, only offered a few months. The American Eagle Defenders button.

americaneaglepin1_zps48502c86.jpg

First appearance in Exciting Comics #22 (this is an old scan, I don't know what that shadow is through the logo, it's not on the book):

afe3c30f-512e-47bc-8af3-b60730b58da7_zpsgkd9zk79.jpg

One more. Sky King 1950 Mexican Aztec ring. From the 1950's TV show. This was offered by Peter Pan Peanut Butter. Another big favorite and a little hard to find. I love the big green "emerald" on the top. It has Aztec symbols on the sides.

ringskyking_zpss7uo5wk5.jpg

Apparently the Captain Midnight Mystic Sun-God Ring was also a Mystic Aztec Ring.

16540273734_60e0337361_c.jpg

It's beat up but you can still see the design on the side.

Edited by BB-Gun

If you like these and want to see more let me know. I have a lot of them. Some are very creative in their use of features. Got a favorite character? He probably has a ring...

Robot Man those rings are out of this world!!! So cool! :headbang: Would love to see pics of the glowing ones in the dark, but I don't know if your camera is that sensitive... :wishluck:

If you like these and want to see more let me know. I have a lot of them. Some are very creative in their use of features. Got a favorite character? He probably has a ring...

Robot Man those rings are out of this world!!! So cool! :headbang: Would love to see pics of the glowing ones in the dark, but I don't know if your camera is that sensitive... :wishluck:

You can send me all of your rings and I will take a picture with the digital camera we have in the lab. I used a 30 sec exposure to photograph fluorescent bacteria. :devil:

One more. Sky King 1950 Mexican Aztec ring. From the 1950's TV show. This was offered by Peter Pan Peanut Butter. Another big favorite and a little hard to find. I love the big green "emerald" on the top. It has Aztec symbols on the sides.

Apparently the Captain Midnight Mystic Sun-God Ring was also a Mystic Aztec Ring.

I have never owned a Capt. Midnight Mystic Sun God ring. I love the big red stone on top. Not that rare, so I am sure I will pick one up one of these days.

I have never owned a Capt. Midnight Mystic Sun God ring. I love the big red stone on top. Not that rare, so I am sure I will pick one up one of these days.

...and I'm sure, so as not to rip a child off, they must be made of the most solid and purest Gold...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Howie Post signed the cover. I thought he did most of the Farmer's Daughter stories.

The artwork on Farmer's Daughter was by cartoonist Irv Spector, though the girl was drawn by Bill Williams (who also did G.I.Jane).

Edited by Arkadin

Not a GA comic but an underground. Probably the best comic book ever on surfing. One of my favorite artists Rick Griffin. Very multi talented guy. Worked for Surfer magazine in early 1960's then moved to San Francisco and did some of the best rock posters and album covers ever done. Did some great underground work as well. Became a born again Christian and was eventually killed on his motorcycle in his early '40's. The color and imagery in this book is just outstanding and shows his EC influence!

comtalesfromthetube_zpsnrrczvxc.jpg