• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I really love the mail man today. Not only did he bring me the card but the only two issues of Capt. Aero with Schomburg covers. I love Schomburg and to get both issues in one shot is pretty cool. Both aren't easy to find.

comcaptaero_zpsfc4405f7.jpg[/url]

Very sweet! I love the cover to issue 16. I got mine nearly two decades ago. It's one of the few books I kept when I sold my collection 15 years ago. It's a Gerber 8 if I remember it correctly.

I have 15 and 17 but never had 16. LB Cole did some pretty good covers too.

3174167992_be18cc1337.jpg

Mr. B, any experience/advice on these type of items?

Nope. Sorry, don't have a clue. They look very cool though.

Now, here is where I could jerk you around like they do in General but I won't. It wasn't any real big deal but a real fun find for $15. Some kid had some of his favorite books hand bound. Nothing real great or nice condition but a weird assortment. Disney, DC, Archie, Marvel Western and Fantasy, Romance, Teen Age and a cool Richfield Oil Disneyland giveaway. I love these when I find them and have found some real good ones in the past. So totally plain, if she didn't put the removable tape notation on the cover I never would have known. Here is just some of the 30 or so books in there. A fun, surprise find!

comicbook2_zpsddsvey1o.jpg

comicbook3_zpshxbqvlaz.jpg

comicbook4_zpswmhg9eda.jpg

comicbook5_zpsh4pzrnyt.jpg

Just a thought here Robot Monster Man.

These are a nice find and all, but given the extremely random nature of the comics involved, do you think this could have been a "practice" or "practical" tryout at book binding?

What I am getting at is that this would seem to be like an "apprentice piece" in the book binding trade. Get a bunch of worthless old funny books and show off one's newly learned skill at bookbinding by producing the above.

I know the notion of a bunch of well-loved comic books being bound in order that they are preserved by their owner is a far more "romantic" idea, I just think the extremely random nature of these books gives a little more weight to my theory.

Of course, if the owner wrote his name in all the books (and didn't become a book binder) there goes that theory lol

"Holey Toybox Batman!" I might have to change this thread to Ask Robot Man.

Very nice stash Steve! You need to thank your dad. Here is what I can tell you based on the photos:

First box: best piece is probably the blue motorcycle. It is either a Hubley or Champion and worth in the area of $300. The yellow one with sidecar is a Hubley and a good one if nice. See if you can find the passenger in the box. The silver bus is a Tootsietoy and looks nice. The green car behind is a Tootsietoy Graham and very collectible. The red motorcycle is also a Hubley and called a "Crash Cart". The green toy truck is a good Tootsietoy. The rubber ones are made by Sun Rubber. I can't see the motorcycle under the Orange Marx oil wagon but it could be good too. The motorcycles and race cars are the best ones.

Second box: the lead soldiers are probably Barclay. The odd ones like the guy with searchlight are the best. The blue plane is a Hubley and appears nice. The green one is. Tootsietoy as is the boat. Hard to tell what the other stuff is. A lot of them are probably marked underneath.

A real good stash that would net you a couple of great comics. His comics would of course be worth a lot more but it's just great that you have these toys. Get them out of those boxes and on a shelf. Hopefully this can get you started if you are curious about value. Go on eBay and search completed auctions. A lot of real fun stuff!

Now, here is where I could jerk you around like they do in General but I won't. It wasn't any real big deal but a real fun find for $15. Some kid had some of his favorite books hand bound. Nothing real great or nice condition but a weird assortment. Disney, DC, Archie, Marvel Western and Fantasy, Romance, Teen Age and a cool Richfield Oil Disneyland giveaway. I love these when I find them and have found some real good ones in the past. So totally plain, if she didn't put the removable tape notation on the cover I never would have known. Here is just some of the 30 or so books in there. A fun, surprise find!

comicbook2_zpsddsvey1o.jpg

comicbook3_zpshxbqvlaz.jpg

comicbook4_zpswmhg9eda.jpg

comicbook5_zpsh4pzrnyt.jpg

Just a thought here Robot Monster Man.

These are a nice find and all, but given the extremely random nature of the comics involved, do you think this could have been a "practice" or "practical" tryout at book binding?

What I am getting at is that this would seem to be like an "apprentice piece" in the book binding trade. Get a bunch of worthless old funny books and show off one's newly learned skill at bookbinding by producing the above.

I know the notion of a bunch of well-loved comic books being bound in order that they are preserved by their owner is a far more "romantic" idea, I just think the extremely random nature of these books gives a little more weight to my theory.

Of course, if the owner wrote his name in all the books (and didn't become a book binder) there goes that theory lol

The woman I bought these from told me the kid did them for a school project but she pitched his paper he did for school.

Very nice stash Steve! You need to thank your dad. Here is what I can tell you based on the photos:

First box: best piece is probably the blue motorcycle. It is either a Hubley or Champion and worth in the area of $300. The yellow one with sidecar is a Hubley and a good one if nice. See if you can find the passenger in the box. The silver bus is a Tootsietoy and looks nice. The green car behind is a Tootsietoy Graham and very collectible. The red motorcycle is also a Hubley and called a "Crash Cart". The green toy truck is a good Tootsietoy. The rubber ones are made by Sun Rubber. I can't see the motorcycle under the Orange Marx oil wagon but it could be good too. The motorcycles and race cars are the best ones.

Second box: the lead soldiers are probably Barclay. The odd ones like the guy with searchlight are the best. The blue plane is a Hubley and appears nice. The green one is. Tootsietoy as is the boat. Hard to tell what the other stuff is. A lot of them are probably marked underneath.

A real good stash that would net you a couple of great comics. His comics would of course be worth a lot more but it's just great that you have these toys. Get them out of those boxes and on a shelf. Hopefully this can get you started if you are curious about value. Go on eBay and search completed auctions. A lot of real fun stuff!

That's more detail than I expected, thank you!

The blue motorcycle is a Champion, good eye. The red motorcycle is indeed a "Crash Cart". The passenger for the yellow Hubley sidecar is in the bed of the green truck (perfect fit). The silver bus is a Tootsietoy 2282.

That's just the top layer shown in the photo; there are two more layers (of the same types of toys) below.

Not really sure that I want to develop a junk obsession (these generally are not in good condition and so probably aren't worth much, but are all original), yet they could be fun...

The blue motorcycle is a Champion, good eye. The red motorcycle is indeed a "Crash Cart". The passenger for the yellow Hubley sidecar is in the bed of the green truck (perfect fit). The silver bus is a Tootsietoy 2282.

That's just the top layer shown in the photo; there are two more layers (of the same types of toys) below.

Not really sure that I want to develop a junk obsession (these generally are not in good condition and so probably aren't worth much, but are all original), yet they could be fun...

They appear to be in better shape condition-wise than a lot of collectible toys that pop-up on Antique Roadshow. Missing paint isn't that unusual for 70 year old cast iron & tin toys. The value is more in the structural condition and completeness of the toy. Toys with labels, figures and misc. loose items that often get lost add significantly to the value.

You should find this Antiques Roadshow motorcycle segment interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/video/201203F02.html

Of course, loosely packed toys in cardboard boxes don't provide the best visual presentation, but junk is in the eye of the beholder. Antique toy collectors are as passionate about war and pre-war era toys as we are about comics and there are price guides available which will help with identification and grading. My 2c

'

Robot Man is the Greatest! Not only does he have the widest array of great old collectibles that I have seen, but he has the knowledge to go with them!

100_7896_zpsfpciphyd.jpg

I'm not a toy expert, but I know aeroplanes. The blue and silver one is a Bell P-39 Airacobra. First flight 1938, but not into production until 1940 - probably means it's an early 1940s toy.

The green one is Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra. You can see a similar toy without paint (and missing the props) here.

The red white and blue one might be a Northrop Delta - does it have the right undercarriage legs?

I'm curious about the silver one top right. Hard to tell, but might be Lindbergh's Spirit of st Louis?

No idea on the orange and silver one.

[/aviation geek]

The tri-color (no folding undercarriage) and orange (broken wing) planes are identical (just different paint schemes), Barclay, U.S. Army.

The silver one is a Pursuit Ship, 575, (it's metal but is stamped Sun Rubber).

The other silver plane is a Tootsietoy UX 214.

The P-39 is a Hubley, 1941 manufacture.

Glad to spark an interesting discussion, and thanks for the info!

Two more layers??? You're killing me! Looks like you had a junk obsession given to you. Nice problem to have. These for the most part look real good and very collectible. Most look complete which is huge. I wish my dad's stuff got saved. I do have a picture of him somewhere in a nice 1930's peddle car. Is there any larger toys in the stash? Any tin ones?

OK, since there seems to be an interest in Aircraft, I'll show just a few of mine. I tend to like the larger ones and specifically tin and pressed steel. I love the color on tin toys. The graphics are always very cool.

These three are large Marx Toys wing up tin airplanes. The are late 1930's/early 1940's. They liked to use the same dies for a lot of toys and just different lithography on the parts. I believe there is one more I don't have.

airplanearmyyellow_zpserff0mqf.jpg

airplaneusarmy_zpsxob12h2v.jpg

airplanemarxusmail_zpsua5bjnha.jpg

Is there any larger toys in the stash? Any tin ones?

No and no - just a bunch of old records, mostly 78's.

Really like those tin aircraft.

Got any Paramount, Black Patti or Electrobeam labels? Any that say blues in the title of the song?