• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Got any Paramount, Black Patti or Electrobeam labels? Any that say blues in the title of the song?

Don't think so - my Dad was a big band fan so that's what many of them are. Unfortunately 78's are not in style.

Again, maybe I should start a "Ask Robot Man" thread...

Gary What you have is a 1933 Marx Toys "Tip Over" Motorcycle. Nice shape and working in the $250.00 range give or take. Nice piece, I don't have one. Nice "throw in" on a collection buy!

Hi Robot Man - Would you know anything about this toy? My friend bought it at a garage sale but knows nothing about it. Any help on it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi John

I believe is was made in the late '50s or early '60's by possibly Masouda Toys in Japan. They did a lot of old style cars during this time. Not too popular these days because most collectors want more modern classic cars or muscle cars. Ford and Chevy are king. Japan made a lot of tin friction US classic and muscle cars during the same period. Still, a cool garage sale find!

Thanks for the info Robot Man! What do you think this car is worth?

Edited by John R

[/aviation geek]

Any recs for best books on aviation history civil war to WWI?

I've been getting interested lately due to how influential it was early on to sf and fantastic fiction in general.

Sorry Mark but I have no suggestions for you. I am not an avation buff just like old toys. As a matter of fact I have very little time to read many books or even comics these days. I did read a great book my daughter got me over the holidays. "Do Not Sell at Any Price" by Amanda Petrusich. It is about collecting rare blues 78 rpm records. This book is full of stories of weird obsessive collectors and how they ran down collections of rare blues 78's. A lot of background on early bluesmen and women as well. No matter what you collect the stories are similar. A great read!

So, I got this on ebay before I went to CA. Ritchie Muchin says its a scarce book. I don't know, but the price was pretty cheap...got one of these Bob?

sy9y86.jpg

No, I don't have that one. Looks like a cool cover. I love the old subscription label!

Be sure and watch the great Disney animated propaganda movie, Victory Throiugh Airpower, which was a nice WWII animated feature. I haven't watched it in years but it seems like it had a brief history of the military use of air power.

Not comics, but it is what we listened to when we looked for comics...

2l9lfvb.jpg

bfmlty.jpg

Oh yeah, I can almost hear the promo in my head. The best one was KPPC in Pasadena. The first "underground" radio station on the west coast I believe. It was in a church basement on Colorado Blvd. Pasadena was a pretty hip place in those daze. Used to frequent the Free Press book story on Colorado and Fair Oaks a lot.

OK, no vehicles or avaition today. How about some pretty girls instead? Here are a bunch of Matt Baker Giant Comics Editions. Some are nice shape and some are not so nice. Very hard to get most of these in any shape. I also have most all the rest of the run but I figured a pretty girl trumps Mighty Mouse any day of the week!

comgiantcomicsed7_zpsoof0ewxl.jpg