• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

They still can be found for relatively cheap prices, especially if not in great condition, as they had quite large print runs, but they are very cool.

I still have mine from when I was a kid – I was born in 1969 but my dad subscribed me to the "Club di Topolino" when I was 2-3 years old, and they were still issuing these 1960s pins. :)

Speaking of Straight Arrow, since you joined the boards, you've inspired me to pick up vintage Bandana / Handkerchief with cartoon characters. Top on my list was the Straight Arrow and I am happy to have one now. I also grabbed the Tom Mix - Ralston Straight Shooters and a neat Polly Pigtails and a smaller Blondie.

Do you have any of those? How many different kinds are out there?

Speaking of Straight Arrow, since you joined the boards, you've inspired me to pick up vintage Bandana / Handkerchief with cartoon characters. Top on my list was the Straight Arrow and I am happy to have one now. I also grabbed the Tom Mix - Ralston Straight Shooters and a neat Polly Pigtails and a smaller Blondie.

Do you have any of those? How many different kinds are out there?

Yeah, Orphan Annie and Roy Rogers come to mind in addition to the ones you mentioned. There are more. Grab a copy of the Hakes guide to character toys and premiums. It is like the Gerber books for premium collectors.

The Polly Pigtails is directly comic book related. I have the bandanna as well as a pinback from the club. I was going to post them but don't have a comic that they were offered in.

Be back later today with more comic book related stuff...

OK, this one has got to be the rarest one I've shown yet. Great Comics lasted only 3 issues. It is mostly know for the classic Hitler cover/story in #3. This offer is from issue #1. I no longer have #3 and have never owned #2 so I don't know if it was offered in either of these issues.

Ted Hake has only had two of these buttons and this is one of them. The only other guy I know who has one is Walter Koenig (Mr. Checkov from Star Trek). He is probably the biggest collector of vintage comic character buttons I know of. He knew of two his and one of the Hakes examples.

No big deal character wise but if you collect this stuff...

comadgreatcomics_zpsn66aikms.jpg

greatzarropin_zpsm7ozlrau.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

This offer is from Famous Funnies #214. Not only an iconic Frazetta cover, but it also offered this nifty Buck Rogers kit. I got the pin in one place and the card in another. Pin is a little scarce but the card, as with most paper work is much harder to find.

Best part is that it was offered FREE for a SASE (any old timers remember that concept?)

comadfamfunniesbrogers_zpsoxzvjsty.jpg

A real extensive and long running club came from DC's All American Comics. First offer you got the basic kit. There are two different badges. One in brass and a harder to find silver version. By getting other kids to sign up you got the second "AOC" (American Observation Corps) patch. And, if you really worked in a lot of members, you got the tiny AOC wings badge to wear below your AOC patch. This is soooo rare. It is very tiny and issued in such small numbers. Plus you have to know to look for it since it says only "AOC" on it. Mine was present in a kit I bought. I asked Ted Hake about it and he told me what it was. I believe, if memory serves me right, this was offered in this issue of All American Comics (classic Spectre rip-off cover)

comallamerican42_zps4fdfygca.jpg

comadallamerican_zps2t4xkkoh.jpg

hopharriganpins_zpskz5ujeua.jpg

hopharrigankit_zpsgjatlbqw.jpg

This is the grandaddy of Timely/Marvel premiums. The one everyone wants. Not all that rare but expensive. The envelope and card are pretty tough. It comes with two different badge materials. Brass (easier to find) and copper (harder) from the war era. The cards and envelopes are pretty tough either way and come with very slight changes. This is the first (brass) version and this offer came from this book.

If anyone wants to post some different offers from other issues of Cap, I'm sure, nobody here would mind seeing them...

comallwinners1a_zpsyg5uwa69.jpg

comadcaptamericaallwinners_zpsvepdou39.jpg

Close up shot with both envelope designs.

captamericakit_zps4615d5da.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

And this one is for you Scrooge. The Polly Pigtails pinback. Including a bonus Tip Top Comics subscription premium and a Bill Barnes Air Warden Cadet as well as a couple other interesting comic book related ones.

:cool: I really enjoy the Polly Pigtails look to the characters. Really playful.

7946751140_2ac9309c0c_c.jpg

and I had to get a Secret Squadron Manual to go with the Captain Midnight badge. :gossip:

How else would you know how to use it?

By the way, wrong combo. You have a 1946 decoder with a 1947 manual... The 1947 decoder is a blue plastic whistle.

3410299614_b0d8a3f0a1_o.jpg

I found an ad for this one in Popular comics.

Nice! That's what I'm talking about!