• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

And no tribute to Jack would be complete with out an great EC cover. I immediately thought of MAD #2, Two Fisted #30 and several Crypt covers but this one pops to mind as well. Something about the dying soldier gripping the GI is just powerful.

comtwofistedannual2_zpsojaix5ek.jpg

Sorry to hear about Jack! There was a time in the '70's where he was on a TV Guide or Time Magazine cover, as often as not! Back before photographs ruled , even on weekly publications! For me, the giant Frankenstein poster and the Savoy Brown album cover art jump to mind! And the wacky packaging cards! And when he ghosted on a Little Annie Fanny.....

On a less somber note (or not, but less immediate, perhaps)... I've seen/got some old art prints, one depicting the death by cannon, scenario ! This was done on a scale of maybe a dozen executions at a time. With a dozen cannons. This was part of the British domination over India in the early or mid 1800's. The illustration/painting was titled something like 'cleaning' or 'polishing' the .....started with a p?....

I don't know if this was simply a terror tactic, or served as a silencer? At least it wasn't a slow death. Blown to smitherines seems to be more to the point. Maybe this made the forensics on the cannon balls tougher to trace? And, they were out of room in the stockade. And, it counted for more direct hits. Stats are stats. So the boar wars is when they killed all the pigs?

Blowing Sepoys from the Guns painted by Vassili Verestchagin is the work I was thinking of. Sepoys are privates (rank) in the Indian Infantry in the 1857 revolt... Only 5 are visible, until fading out of frame. But the implication is that there are many more. Can't tell if they intend to fire, all at once, or one at a time..... But imagine being tied so that the cannon's barrel is pointed between your shoulder blades..... A disheartening feeling at best!

As you all might know about me by now..I love my comics in the raw! I love to read and look through them at will. Nothing wrong with a high grade slab though.They are just so un-fulfilling and a waste to me. When I pay a lot or a little, I like to see what I am getting.

This thread I'll run a few each day for a while will illustrate one reason why. In the course of collectiong over the years, I have come to appreciate the things could send away for and the clubs they could join. These were offered inside the pages of tons of GA comics. I still find mention of clubs that I have never seen he actual item. Most people pay these pages not much notice but I find it a very nice extension of the comic book hobby.

Most of this stuff is WAY rarer than the comics in which they were offered. Most kids, broke or lost these items quickly. So, when I turn up something it is a huge rush.

With all the buzz about the prices on "second" and "third" tier superheroes, these seem like an incredible bargian.

Enjoy these cool offers. And if anyone can turn me to some of the ones I will show that don't have the item or offers for other premiums I don't know about.

Start right out with honey. Lev Gleason 1941 Silver Streak Comics #15 brings you this awsome premium. It is 1-1/2". Full color and very graphic. Also included a membership card which I don't have but would LOVE to find...

comsilverstreak15_zps9c5f59b9.jpg

comadsilverstreak_zpsth8s821b.jpg

Not sure which book offered this cool portrait of the Silver Streak as an offer. Anybody got a copy that shows the offer?

silverstreakpicture_zps4ujpyrwu.jpg

Probably the earliest comic book premium. DC comics ran the Jolly Bill's Fun Club. Urging "Clean Comics", "Clean Books", Clean Shows" and "Clean Words". This is from a classic DC More Fun #14 Oct. 1936. Not "super" exciting but Superhero comics were a few years to come.

commorefun1936a_zpsjsw4yzyy.jpg

comadmorefun_zpsylqsjtbg.jpg

Here's an item I don't have but would love to more than many Fox Comics themselves. This ad appeared in this currently hot and expensive comic just inside the front cover Mystery Men #29. The book is rare but this is pretty en-obtainable in my humble opinion.

commysterymen29_zpsqiazvuaa.jpg

comadmysterymen_zpsjllurcqi.jpg

Corey will like this one... 1953 Dell Comics Subscription premium.

comadbugsbunny_zpsqsgsuuai.jpg

Hey RM, said to myself I'd check in, but not interact on the Boards during my vacation, but I have to comment here: just amazing rare piece :applause: nice!

How about the famous Supermen of America kit. This ran from 1939 all the way into 1961. There are several different buttons all with slight differences. The smaller one was only issues for a few months to save war materials. It is by far the rarest of the variations. Just for fun, I also included the Supermen Club of Great Britian. This was issues in the late 1950's as near as I can tell. It is VERY scarce. Most English collectors have not even seen one. Today's club offer came from this book:

comaction29a_zpspklo1iqu.jpg

comadaction29_zpsro6b3gdl.jpg

supermanmemberkit1961_zpsuf1kek74.jpg

Great stuff as usual Robot Man!

I had to ask about the Rang-a-Tang club.

The club is supposed to help with problems with your dog but how does one answer the question about the bowel functions of your dog? :)

We all know how hard it is to find MLJ's and how expensive they are. Just try and find one of these Rang-a-Tang pins! (Too bad they never did a Mr. Justice club...)

comblueribbon22_zpss1giaqzb.jpg

comadblueribbon_zpsacjpfy5g.jpg

WOW and with a Blue Ribbon 22 :applause: Such tough and neat stuff man!! Awesome as always!!