• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Last one for today. Most of you know what's coming. My favorite of the bunch. The classic Punch #9. Sooo hard to find because anyone who has one never wants to part with it.

compunch9_zpsqyqme5oq.jpg

+1

There were two on comic connect earlier this year. They both sold pretty fast.

A cool post code issue from 1955.

comsurpriseadvs3_zps7ciyd7ib.jpg

another I have never seen it before book...anything good on the inside..artists?

It was published by Sterling pubs. It is #3. The first 2 issues were Tormented (pre-code). Other than the story that goes with the cover, nothing memorable.

Last one for today. Most of you know what's coming. My favorite of the bunch. The classic Punch #9. Sooo hard to find because anyone who has one never wants to part with it.

+1

It is the Chessler every one wants. (other than Dynamic #8 and Punch #12 neither one I have). I think it might be my favorite of the 3. The Dynamic #8 is a close second though...

The folks at Beware like this more than most publishers apparently. Here is Beware #13. I know, I really need an upgrade on this one...

combeware13_zpsjpwxewjx.jpg

I belive that's supposed to be Myron Fass on the cover! :gossip:

Most everyone knows who Alfred E Neuman is. If they don't know his name, they at least recognize the face. He is popular all over the world. What a lot of people don't know is that he has been around for over 100 years. He was used on all kinds of postcards, pictures, matchbooks, signs ect both with "Me Worry?" and just his stupid mug. MAD first used a tiny picture on the cover of #21. It took until #30 for Norman Mingo to develop the Alfred we all know and love today. He has graced the covers of almost every issue from that point on.

I love this pre-MAD stuff and have a large collection of it. Today, I will feature a few nice pre-MAD Alfred depictions. Let me know what you think.

First up is a cool tin advertising sign. It advertises Cherry Sparkle Soda from the 1930's. I've only seen a couple of these. I also have a nice "bottle "hanger" advertisement for this that hangs over the neck of the soda bottle. Is this Alfred?

alfredsign_zpsd743b616.jpg

Lastly, is a glass paperweight. This dates to 1908 and is the oldest Alfred depiction I know of. It advertises Antimamnia dental ansthesia. There is a calendar for this product with the same image that I have seen a few times. (Jim Halpern, MAD collector on steriods, has a nice one on his site). This is the only paper weight I know of and one of my most favorite Alfred piece. I don't remember exactly where I got it but probably a flea market find. Is this Alfred?

alfredeneumanpaperweight1_zpsrsrukwwj.jpg

+1

It is the Chessler every one wants. (other than Dynamic #8 and Punch #12 neither one I have). I think it might be my favorite of the 3. The Dynamic #8 is a close second though...

12992797755_30fafb0c3e_c.jpg

I like Dynamic 9... :banana:

Next up is an advertisement for a law office I believe. It is dated 1914 (a little older than the sign by about 15 years) First depiction of the "Me Worry?" saying I know of. Only one I've ever seen. Is this Alfred?

alfredeneuman1914picture_zpscgy2wnxg.jpg

wow that's amazing

+1

12992797755_30fafb0c3e_c.jpg

I like Dynamic 9... :banana:

Yeah, that's a nice one for sure! You rarely it see but my money is still on Punch #9. So wild and "horrific"! I can die without #12 but really would like a Dymanic #8 to go with my Weird Mysteries #5. Unfortunately, unless I get lucky, that ship has probably sailed for me...

Next up is an advertisement for a law office I believe. It is dated 1914 (a little older than the sign by about 15 years) First depiction of the "Me Worry?" saying I know of. Only one I've ever seen. Is this Alfred?

That's Alfred, mos def. Awesome.

That's Alfred, mos def. Awesome.

...actually, that would be Alfred's Dad, Alfred Sr........ GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u