• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I know this one isn't an ACG but a Charlton but I think it fits here. I'm not sure because since I got this one I've never paid any attention to any others, but I would suspect, this is pretty scarce. I've seen other books with the "accusing finger or looks" but I think this is the only other one I've got. I think there is a Love Diary one as well as a few others.

comintimate1_zpsevitw1uy.jpg

Now we get to the "Good" stuff. There are four of these that are real wild. I believe I only have 3. What is the other one?

(My) Romantic Adventures #49 - "Jailbird's Romance"

Comic_Book_Cover_For_My_Romantic_Adventures_Issue_49.jpg

(not my copy)

I've seen other books with the "accusing finger or looks" but I think this is the only other one I've got. I think there is a Love Diary one as well as a few others.

Here are most of the others. It's Love Journal #10 you're thinking of - Anderson classic.

ConfessionsoftheLovelorn94fc100_zps00354061.jpg

MyRomanticAdventures130fc100_zps6e059632.jpg

LoveJournal10fc100_zps42b741a9.jpg

Are there only two?

There are six "True Vision" books:Romantic Adventures 46-48 and Lovelorn 49-51. Here's what the 3-D Effect looks like

IMG_5146small_zpsm2evj4fk.jpg

IMG_5145small_zpswoodn7is.jpg

It's a cool effect, but printing all that black probably raised their ink budget.

Now we get to the "Good" stuff. There are four of these that are real wild. I believe I only have 3. What is the other one?

(My) Romantic Adventures #49 - "Jailbird's Romance"

Comic_Book_Cover_For_My_Romantic_Adventures_Issue_49.jpg

(not my copy)

Thanks Richard! Yeah, that's the one. I'm sure I will have to battle the unwashed hords on flea bay to get one now...

Ya know, this weird stuff I like is a real challenge to find. I guess that is why I like it.

I've seen other books with the "accusing finger or looks" but I think this is the only other one I've got. I think there is a Love Diary one as well as a few others.

Here are most of the others. It's Love Journal #10 you're thinking of - Anderson classic.

Thanks Andy, yeah, it was Love Journal. The other two I've never seen before. Books like these are just so impossible to find any more. But that's what makes this fun when you do!

ACG's are pretty stinky except for a little bright spot...

Nuh uh. Decent work by the Sangor Shop, including a lot of ball carrying by Ken Bald and Ogden Whitney. Well executed overall, with many books better than average. And one of the two out of 41 publishers to remain standing and selling from 1949-1960 on one title, 1949-1964 on the other. Stinky can't drag you all that way. :baiting:

imho of course!

Ya know, this weird stuff I like is a real challenge to find. I guess that is why I like it.

More and more the "weird stuff" becomes the mainstream as those books get exposure through the magic of the internet in general and forums like this in particular. Those ACG romances are now pretty well known and always sell for big premiums whenever they come available. It is getting harder and harder to discover something new. There really isn't anything obscure any more. Maybe GA third tier funny animal titles, westerns, regional self- published undergrounds from the sixties and seventies. But even most of those are imaged on GCD and have folks looking and collecting the particularly cool stories or covers.

True, very true but most books are very cover driven. Especially here. There are lot of real cool stories and art buried under those slabbed covers if you look. Sometimes a real boring cover will have a cool surprise. Crime Detector #5 is a good example. Looking at it the cover it apears to be a real run of the mill crime book. The last story is a full on Jay Disbrow horror story with a discusting "splash panel" last page. I'll have to post it as I don't think I've seen it on the boards. Also a pretty boring GA "teenage" comic with a famous comic creator featured through the entire story. Not noted in Overstreet. I am hording this book until I can get a real high grade copy.

That Love Journal 10 is such a great cover!

Are there only two?

There are six "True Vision" books:Romantic Adventures 46-48 and Lovelorn 49-51. Here's what the 3-D Effect looks like

IMG_5146small_zpsm2evj4fk.jpg

IMG_5145small_zpswoodn7is.jpg

It's a cool effect, but printing all that black probably raised their ink budget.

Interesting point. Probably not a trivial matter for a low-budget operation like ACG. hm

Meet "Radar Robot" This cool fellow was made by Nomura Toys in Japan circa 1955. This style robot made by this company is known as a Zoomer to robot collectors. This is a battery operated toy. It has a hand held control that allows it to walk, eyes light up and antanne red light blinks on and off. The controller with his robotic face on front is an added bonus. Not a real rare one but one of my favorites nonetheless.

robotradar_zps0ce3b0b4.jpg

These cool space orientated toys once belonged to Dave Stevens. A close friend of mine was one of Dave's best friends. Before he died he gave my friend boxes and boxes of his stuff. These two toys were in one of those boxes. The futeristic space bus on the right was made by Tootsietoy in the mid thirties. Dave (and myself) like it for it's art deco design. The motorcycle on the left is from the early 1950's. Dave used it as a prop on the cover of one of his comics with two scantily clad gitls riding it with their ray guns. I can't remember which one off hand. I know I have the book but it is buried in a box so I can't locate it. If anyone can post it here, I would appreciate it!

spacetoysdavestevens_zpsldpeftvj.jpg