• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Scan0007_zps9aac516c.jpg

A comic I love so much...one of the first nicer shape older comics I ever found.

Ya got me stumped. I ain't got any of those. I've got nudie mags, I've got a Shocking Mystery or two and I've got some Airboys but none of those issues.

Do you have a Story panel cover subset,like the issue above? :P

The only other photo cover I have is My Own Romance #12 also from 1950. It is rumored to be Stan Lee on the right but I can't confirm it. Sure looks like him to me. What do you think?

commyownromance12_zps9lpi6rj2.jpg

You know, I wondered that very thing about a year and a half ago. Check this thread. It also has some photos of the young Stan Lee. I also wondered about the Love Romances #6, but that one doesn't look quite as much like Stan.

153696.jpg.8dd7f22c7bb555c7516a54a3d258ed91.jpg

Here's another weird, very small subset of comic covers. Covers with comic creators on the cover. Only three photo covers I know of.

First is Headline #37 sporting a Jack Kirby photo cover. This is the Crippen copy (if it matters to any one)

comheadline37crippen_zpsf4t6mdaw.jpg

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the man portraying the police officer is Joe Simon.

Here's another weird, very small subset of comic covers. Covers with comic creators on the cover. Only three photo covers I know of.

First is Headline #37 sporting a Jack Kirby photo cover. This is the Crippen copy (if it matters to any one)

comheadline37crippen_zpsf4t6mdaw.jpg

I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the man portraying the police officer is Joe Simon.

Yes, I heard that too.

By now you have probably got the idea that I like "theme" covers. People collect themed covers for many reasons. I've seen parachute covers, underwater covers, bondage covers and I was even asked for MALE bondage covers a couple times. I have featured surrealistic covers, eyeball covers and probably some others. I have more themes that I look for and today is one more subset.

Artist and Comic creators that are attacked by their creators covers. There are a few out there. Here are just some of them.

Let's start out with a nice friendly funny cover. One of the classic "infinity" covers (another subset that I like)

comwackyduck4_zpsmbeujazt.jpg

..... and it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and.......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

sad1.230a.jpg

By now you have probably got the idea that I like "theme" covers. People collect themed covers for many reasons. I've seen parachute covers, underwater covers, bondage covers and I was even asked for MALE bondage covers a couple times. I have featured surrealistic covers, eyeball covers and probably some others. I have more themes that I look for and today is one more subset.

Artist and Comic creators that are attacked by their creators covers. There are a few out there. Here are just some of them.

Let's start out with a nice friendly funny cover. One of the classic "infinity" covers (another subset that I like)

comwackyduck4_zpsmbeujazt.jpg

..... and it just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and.......GOD BLESS..

sad1.230a.jpg

One of my favorites!

9126260599_ee0c6baee5.jpg

mm

Edited by Marty Mann

Kinda busy today do I'll have to do a short one.

Here is one of my favorite Peps. (I'd love to land a #32 some day). A very graphic statement almost too heavy for kids but just sums up the World War II genre so well.

compep20_zpsnzktmkqx.jpg

:applause: one of the best if rarely seen MLJ war covers ( or from any publisher for that matter). Thanks for sharing!

Here is the complete collection of MLJ club kit mailaway items. The earliest one is the Rang-A-Tang the Wonder Dog button from Blue Ribbon Comics circa 1939. (I have only seen 3 of these, soooo very rare). Too bad they didn't do a Mr. Justice club instead...

Next came the Shield Club pins. They are pictured in order of which one was issued first. The large one on the left is the first circa 1940 and is VERY hard to find. Took me a long time to get. The next one is a lot more common circa 1943 and came with the member card and envelope above it. The shield shaped one is very common and was at the tail end of the club just after the war.

The Shield G-Man Club then changed to the Archie Club around 1948 or so. This is the first club button. There were a few later versions as well as a Katy Keene member kit as late as the 1970's. I didn't picture them because I wanted to just feature GoldenAge stuff.

mljpins_zpsbc0vb96g.jpg

And here is the Riley/San Francisco copy of Top Notch #10 I bought from Beerbong at his shop back in the day. Complete with the little stamp on back. This was before it was known as a pedigree just a nice stash of books. I remember he only let me buy 3 books at a time and I was only there for a day. I can't remember what the other two are but they are long gone now...

Just a note on the back cover ad. This projector had MLJ characters all over it. I saw one once but foolishly cheaped out and didn't MAN-UP to get it.

comtopnotch10riley1_zpsw2lyh9pa.jpg

comtopnotch10riley2_zpsh7sfpgew.jpg

And here is the Riley/San Francisco copy of Top Notch #10 I bought from Beerbong at his shop back in the day. Complete with the little stamp on back. This was before it was known as a pedigree just a nice stash of books. I remember he only let me buy 3 books at a time and I was only there for a day. I can't remember what the other two are but they are long gone now...

Just a note on the back cover ad. This projector had MLJ characters all over it. I saw one once but foolishly cheaped out and didn't MAN-UP to get it.

comtopnotch10riley1_zpsw2lyh9pa.jpg

comtopnotch10riley2_zpsh7sfpgew.jpg

Nice copy!

:takeit:

It's kind of funny. As I said, I had no idea it was a pedigree until years later when I noticed the stamp on the back cover and put two and two together. I think I have a few more buried in my boxes. I will have to take a look when I get some time.

I just remember him telling me I could only buy 3 which I thought odd at the time. I doubt many people got to buy large quantities at one time.

Mitch, you were in on that deal. What were your recolations?

It's kind of funny. As I said, I had no idea it was a pedigree until years later when I noticed the stamp on the back cover and put two and two together. I think I have a few more buried in my boxes. I will have to take a look when I get some time.

I just remember him telling me I could only buy 3 which I thought odd at the time. I doubt many people got to buy large quantities at one time.

Mitch won't talk because he went in there every day for 4 years and bought 3 more each time.....that's why you hardly ever see them for sale.....because of Mitch "Vacuum Cleana" Mehdy :baiting: GOD BLESS...

They liked me and my money...so I bought at least 50 SF books from BB and I remember the limit, but for some reason they did not enforce it with me. The best Tom Riley Books I bought were Silver Streak 1, 3, Big All American, Mystic 3 &4 a bunch of actions 28 thru 75. aaa the old days...I later sold the books at double what I paid to move up to a near mint cap 1 ( I graded it mint at the time, but over time my grading has changed) and a couple of other keys.

Edited by Mmehdy