• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

How about Action #56? What most people don't know is that the reason the Sphinx has most of his nose missing is not due to sand storms and errosion as I originally thought. In fact the Nazi's used it for target practice during WWII. What is wrong with people? It happens to this day with terrorists destroying historical artifacts. It is amazing anything exists from ancient times...

comaction56_zps5e3fdkcm.jpg

How about Action #56? What most people don't know is that the reason the Sphinx has most of his nose missing is not due to sand storms and errosion as I originally thought. In fact the Nazi's used it for target practice during WWII. What is wrong with people? It happens to this day with terrorists destroying historical artifacts. It is amazing anything exists from ancient times...

I thought it was Napoleon's army back in the 1800s that used it as target practice rather than the Nazis...

I thought it was Napoleon's army back in the 1800s that used it as target practice rather than the Nazis...

It was before WWII. If it were the Nazis the Sphinx should still have the nose on that cover.

Napoleon was no angel, but this is a charge that cannot be sustained.

Multiple sources state the nose was missing before the young Bonaparte was a gleam in his Daddy's eye:

I swear my boys didn't do it . . .

It was before WWII. If it were the Nazis the Sphinx should still have the nose on that cover.

And the Nazis never occupied the part of Egypt where the Sphinx is. They were stopped at El Alamein, well to the west of the Nile.

Love these Sphinx books!

I know I just did some pre-MAD Alfred E Neuman stuff but had some more weird items in my photobucket. So, if you are a fan, read on, if not, get with the picture!

Now, consider that this stuff is before MAD adopted Alfred. In some cases LONG before. Enjoy!

First up is the set of "Sillie Willie" drink coasters in the original box.

madcoasters_zpsexbwwpbj.jpg

I love this 1958 "What me Graduate?" button. Obviously MAD Magazine inspired. This button and the next one are VERY rare. They were made for High School events and probably no more than 100 were made of each. They are also regional and probably only available in the areas that they were made. They are also obviously not licensed by MAD.

madgraduatepin_zpsta1zwty7.jpg

Last one for today is a real MAD licensed item. The "Potrzebie" 45 rpm record in original seeve. It isfrom 1959 and was offered for sale in the magazine only. The 33-1/3 albums are pretty obtainable but this 45 is near impossible to find any more espcially in it's original sleeve. (Same image on both sides). Classic Don Martin art! I actally put this on my ipod!

madrecord_zpsclayfuvc.jpg

Last one for today is a real MAD licensed item. The "Potrzebie" 45 rpm record in original seeve. It isfrom 1959 and was offered for sale in the magazine only. The 33-1/3 albums are pretty obtainable but this 45 is near impossible to find any more espcially in it's original sleeve. (Same image on both sides). Classic Don Martin art! I actally put this on my ipod!

madrecord_zpsclayfuvc.jpg

As a record collector as well as long time MAD fan this has me drooling...and the Greasy Kid Stuff?!Far Out...'will attract old baseball players.....too much! (:

I love to see someone collecting what they like and not what someone else tells them is hot or a great investment. I doubt that many have enjoyed their life as much as you have. Keep it up, Bob!